Register now to get rid of these ads!

Column too close to header?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead1961, Jul 27, 2013.

1. panhead1961

panhead1961

Do you think it will cook the end bearing and u joint? Need a shorter column possibly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. panhead1961

panhead1961

the steering rod will be routed under or through the engine support.... steel double d

3. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

shorter column or moved further into the cabin, then a regular U joint in the middle of the steering shaft and at the base of the column. Will need a support bearing for the steering shaft.

4. I agree wit the need for a U joint in the middle of the steering shaft along with a support bearing. HRP

5. panhead1961

panhead1961

I plan on putting a support bearing on the engine support with another joint between the support and the vibration joint on the end of the column. The column can't go any further in to the cabin so looks like another column is necessary. Know of anyone that needs a 32" Ididit tilt column? I ordered it based on the manufacturer advice.
    [​IMG]

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

An easy fix is a 3rd joint and a support bearing

7. panhead1961

panhead1961

But is the column too close to the header? I'm concerned the heat will cook the lube out of the u joint and end bearing on the column.?

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I've seen them that close without issues, easiest way is to shorten the column inner, can't see in the pic if its splined or DD
    Or just shorten the whole thing, pretty easy to do

9. panhead1961

panhead1961

It's a double d shaft on ididit column.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like you've got enough room for a heat shield. Make it out of a piece of thin-wall aluminum tubing, slightly larger in diameter than the column, spacers and small screws into the column. That would make a big difference in ambient temperature.

11. Jogyver

Jogyver

I had the same problem. My fix was the stear clear chain drive steering system. Yes it cost $600 . I didn't have to refabricate anything to make it work. It help move my steering shaft next to my frame rail.

12. evil clown

evil clown
    from Verona, WI

Since it looks like you have a tilt column, I think the easiest solution would be to lower the end of the column where it goes through the floorboard. That will give you some clearance at the header, without having to ad a third u-joint and support bearing. Just a 1/2 inch might do it.

An Ididit rep at a show told me I could return a column and have them shorten it for $100. I haven't actually done it yet, but for the price it might be another option for you.

Planning now (like you're doing) makes the difference in a well thought out drivable setup. Good luck with it!

13. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Don't forget your motor has some movement side to side. If your somewhat close like my header is to my steering,it will hit occasionally and you'll feel it in your steering wheel.I personally don't mind.Just an FYI...

14. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Just wrap the column and/or header pipes with header wrap. Use stainless steel ties or safety wire to hold it in place. A spritz of hi heat glue on the end of the wrap helps.