Register now to get rid of these ads!

San Fernando Drags Pictures, Show & Tell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Panneton Bros. Racing, Nov 28, 2008.

1. 33hotrod

33hotrod

Thanks! Wish I had the car today! But thats OK, I'am happy with the 55' I got! Stan

2. 33hotrod

33hotrod

I probably would see your dad and uncle race?????????????? Who knows? I was there in mid 60's. I have a timing tag stamped Feb 1964. I'll have to find others? I wonder when they went from Drag Strip To Raceway? Dave Wallace would know! Stan

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  3. 296ardun

296ardun

if you have Google Earth, go to around 34 degrees 17' N, 118 degrees 25' W, or search for Arroyo and Foothill, you can see the parking lot of the old flea market where the pits and the starting line once were. You can also see the wash running next to the track where some of us came close to getting in when runs got bad, and the Foothill Blvd bridge which a couple of drivers hit, fatally. I seem to remember that the old snack bar building remained when the flea market was running, don't know if anything remains.

4. Fullmetaljakket

Fullmetaljakket
    from Oregon

You may have seen this one, but I thought it was pretty cool. It's Ivo at the pond with one of his nailhead twins. One is injected and one is blown. Neato!

Attached Files:

5. 33hotrod

33hotrod

I'am looking for the scoop on the right! Enderle, or Moon! Either one will do. Stan

6. The blower motor is out of Tony Nancy's 22Jr. '29 roadster. Tom was curious if blowers would improve the performance of the twin, so they ran Tony's engine for a couple of weeks. The blower did help, but Tom was already working on the barnstormer with Dave Zeuchel, and the twin was sold to Tom McCourry who took it east.

[​IMG]

7. Fullmetaljakket

Fullmetaljakket
    from Oregon

When I saw the pic, I figured maybe they didn't have two matching intake setups so they just "run what they brung"

8. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

1954 or 1955

Attached Files:

9. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

My stongest memories, are of Tex Collins, one of the first guys to sell glass T Bucket
    bodies, having a number of cars with AirPlane engines in them, one was a mustang
    fastback, that blew the left rear 1/2 way down the strip, tore the car darn near
    in half, and he had a White Brand Truck, Big Cabover, with the same engine in the
    back, smoked the tires the whole way down......He had a Stagecoach hot rod also,
    don't know whatever happened to that one.....sad end to the story, as I reacall,
    Tex was murdered over a business deal gone bad.....anyone have more of the story or photos of his cars ????

10. 33hotrod

33hotrod

I remember reading, or hearing about that! I thought it might be one of his distributors that went off on his own??????????????? Stan

11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Another great drag strip that is a large part of drag racing history.

Thanks for posting all the great old photo's and help keep the memories alive.

Jimbo

12. 296ardun

296ardun

incredible! The track, if I remember right, opened in '55 or '56, so this was WAY early in its history...old snack bar on the left, supposedly still there? Would love to know where this picture came from and if there are any more like it?

13. ROWE

ROWE
    from Tucson Az

My Uncle Don Rowe set a record there on Aug 18/1957 front engine dragster. He owned the Chassis and drove, Engine was owned by pro tennis player Pancho Gonsalez. Joe Itow was also involved with the chassis build. My Uncle took the elapsed time record from Buddy Sampson's Olds with a 9.70-130.48. Still have not been able to find a picture of my Uncles car. I was told the story was in Drag News Aug 1957. They did a cover story but have not found a copy of that yet either. I love reading about and seeing the old drag cars and it is cool to have some history as well.

14. Bump to the top, more pics everyone!

15. 296ardun

296ardun

Rowe, Pancho Gonzales Cad-powered dragster was the first dragster I ever saw, right before the NHRA Nationals at Santa Ana, summer of '57. I have a copy of Drag News on CD with a picture of it. I can't post it here, but can copy it to a powerpoint presentation and PM it to you. The car was metallic light brown, well built (didn't know that Joe Itow was involved in the construction....it is on the cover of Drag News, August ... pm me your email and I will send on to [email protected]

16. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The engine with the blower (Tony's mill) rotated in the standard direction, the other engine rotated in the opposite direction, using a reversed ground camshaft. The engines meshed at the flywheel. That's the reason they never tried to run a blower on the other engine.

17. skidlid

skidlid
    from motor city

Really cool pics!

18. greg37

greg37
    from mi.

When I was in the Navy I raced at Carlsbad a few times. 1968-69

19. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

Re 296s inquires about San Fernando, This is his second car that he ran
    there. I have a few more pictures (somewhere) :cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  20. Niiiiice! More pic, stories etc!

21. Bump this one up after some hibernation time. Lets some new pics & stories.

22. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

I always felt sorry for Pancho and brother Ralph. They'd make some fantastic single passes in the high 140's.....then Ivo would show up (late) with no test runs and end up beating them for top eliminator.This scenario must've repeated several times. I remember Pancho's push car being a 55 Ford (I think it was Cad powered) and thought it was cool because we had a 55 as well w/ an I6

23. Fullmetaljakket

Fullmetaljakket
    from Oregon

PICT0018.JPG PICT0019.JPG Found some old slides my dad had from when we used to hang out at the pond. These are from around '64-'67. Not sure of the drivers or cars. I have more and will get them on here soon!

Groucho likes this.
  24. 296ardun

296ardun

Very good!...yes, please post more!

25. Fullmetaljakket

Fullmetaljakket
    from Oregon

PICT0020.JPG PICT0022.JPG OK here's a couple more. Anybody know anything about the Scribner/Bowen Willys? And I remember the post with the three lights but don't remember the purpose. I absolutely remember the corn dogs!

26. socal34

socal34

27. Fullmetaljakket

Fullmetaljakket
    from Oregon

28. Fullmetaljakket

Fullmetaljakket
    from Oregon

This one appears to be a Butters and Gerard car leaving in a hurry PICT0023.JPG

29. Nice surprise here guys, keep them coming.

64 Wildcat likes this.