Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A brakes - while running a 365ci

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phils49and56, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Phils49and56

Phils49and56
    BANNED

Just wondering what I should do with my current build, currently have 40 juice brakes setup, but while tinkering around and thinking too much, I am running a caddy 365ci beast of an engine, thinking about my stopping time, should I upgrade to front discs? maybe even rear discs?

thoughts?

thanks for the help guys

Phillip

If you don't have enemies, you don't have character.
    Paul Newman

2. Bluedot

Bluedot

I like the traditional style, but I also believe in safety first. Ii drive an A coupe, which I built with what I call "traditional influence". But it has Speedway discs front and the 9" Ford drums rear. Lotta guys on here will prolly say the '40 brakes are fine, but I would not feel very safe with them. No matter how safely you drive, there are plenty of idiots on the road, texting, cell phoning, etc, not paying attention. Just my opinion...

3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An upgrade to Bendix/Lincoln front drum brakes would be minimum, but front discs would be best, IMO. :)

4. Phils49and56

Phils49and56
    BANNED

appreciate the guidance guys, thank you

5. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

I think it really depends on the driver. If you're used to driving a car with drums on all four corners stock brakes are ok but the new Lincoln brakes are awesome. Most of the people I know who can't stand diving cars with drum brakes just aren't used to it. If you are aware that they are going to be a bit more spongy and that you need to start braking a bit sooner they're fine. That being said, if ride quality and performance is more important than doing a traditional build (and that's ok), then you can't really beat a nice pair of disk brakes.

6. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

If anything, you could always put some '48-'56 F-series Bendix brakes up front.

7. don't understand disc brakes being frowned upon and not traditional. They were patented in the early 1900s and used by car manufactures long before made mandatory in the 70s, just not so much from Detroit. I will admit that Lincolns and Buicks drums look cool.

8. dano1930

dano1930

The way I see it almost every car on the road has disk brakes up front, you have to be able to stop at least as quickly as everybody else, just my opinion.

9. John356

John356

I have 40 Ford brakes on my nailhead powered T. With 6.00/16 bias ply Allstate's on the front,7.00/16 Tornel's on the rear,in a panic stop it will lock all four wheels.So the limiting factor in a short stopping distance on a light car are the tires.

10. Leviman

Leviman

Almost any brake can lock the tires. Throw an e brake on, that'll lock em. The point of disks is not that they clamp more force on the wheel, but that they do it in a manner that doesn't cause locking as easily.

11. bgaro

bgaro

model A's are light weight even with the caddy power, run the drums it'll stop fine.

12. woodypecker

woodypecker

The 40 brakes get better with age. 100 miles and readjust and they work very good on my A which is very light.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have 40 front brakes and later Ford rear brakes (9 inch Ford) on my 27 and that setup has stopped well for over 25 years. If a light suddenly changes on me I am able to bring it down from speed quickly and straight.

The only times I ever see a problem is right after washing the car because the shoes are wet, and also at the end of an 1/8 mile run I used the second turn off road because it took a while to drag it down from speed. But for normal street driving I have had no issues, even driving in blinding rainstorms.

Don

14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I had 40 Ford brakes on a 31 Ford coupe with a Mopar 383 and it stopped fine.

I have 53-56 f100 brakes on my roadster with a Chevy 283 and that thing stops really good.

Disc brakes on fenderless cars are ugly as fuck.

15. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Oh really? Do they talk nicely to the rotors, buy it a nice dinner first?

16. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

Just because disc brakes existed in the time period, it does not make them traditional because nobody was using them on hot rods in the 1940s and 1950s (with the exception of Kinmonts and Airhearts which were still few and far between.)

17. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I'm one of those guys. Just because you don't feel safe doesn't mean you aren't.

I have a Model A with a 390 Caddy. Juice brakes/buick drums. I drive like I stole it and the car stops HARD. Just adjust them properly and there are NO problems. Plus not only will it look cooler, it will be cooler.

18. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Disk are cool. Just DON'T use the term "Traditional" when referring to your car. OK.

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Crosley started four wheel disc in mid 49' and maybe through 50'..Winter salt use would corrode the disc brakes so they went back to drums in/for 51' or so..

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Good point..

21. Phils49and56

Phils49and56
    BANNED

Thank you All for the words of wisdom! I will opt to run the 40 juice Brakes and drive it like I Stole it!

I will follow up with Build pics shortly

"You know a guy around here with a piss-yellow deuce coupe?
    Supposed to be hot stuff?
    You mean John Milner?
    Ain't nobody can beat him, man. He's got the fastest--
    I ain't nobody, dork. Right?
    Right.
    You see this Milner, you tell him I'm lookin' for him, huh?
    Tell him I aim to blow his ass right off the road."

22. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

No, discs unless you want a streetrod ( that's OK just not here ) Gary

23. Fenders

Fenders

I have 53 - 56 F-100 drum brakes on the front, S-10 drums on the back axle. They work well if you understand their limitations.
    The limiting factor is your paying attention to what is going on around and especially in front of you.

24. fenders or not?

no fenders with disks look like hell.