Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 f100 build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 510madmav, May 13, 2010.

1. Blake84

Blake84

Hey,

Great truck!! I remember reading about yours prior to picking my truck up and your truck is the look I was going for. You live far but in Anaheim this Sat is the f100 western Nationals over 200 classic ford trucks. Ours look similar would have been cool to park side by side.

How many times do people ask Are you going to paint it?

They ask me every day and I say no way i love the rust and the old look.

2. 510madmav

510madmav

Cool man, wish I could make it, sounds fun. Oh I get asked that everyday also. Did you ever get your front end sorted out?

3. Blake84

Blake84

Not yet!! In process hashing it out with the shop. Possibly going the law suit route. Was just at a shop where I'm looking at having them do it right. They were shocked I got this set up. They are writing a letter for court stating exactly how bad this is from an engineering stand point. Just sucks because I felt I was taking it to a professional.

4. 510madmav

510madmav

Yeah , hopefully you get that mess sorted out so you can cruise this summer! Good luck man

5. ronk16

ronk16

I have the original 292 and 3 speed overdrive sitting under plastic next to my garage. it`s yours if you want it....

6. 510madmav

510madmav

Thanks I appreciate that, though I'm keeping the six. & I'd say you're a little far.

7. I love to see bay area built Fords still here being drivin. It's looking solid my friend.

8. 510madmav

510madmav

Thanks pal, the clutch is driving me nuts right now though. Need to take it out for a look.

9. 30modelacoupe

30modelacoupe

subscribed! Great thread. You are truely a craftsman.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  10. holy jeesus!:eek: that is a freakin nice truck!! i got me a 59' too certainly the look i am going for, would of never thought of the paint job on the roof though. and speaking of roofs, that must be a problem with the fridges cause mine had rot real bad up there too. though it wasn't as bad as yours. i got a y-block v8 in mine, but that's a solid six! a few questions, though.

did you have to make any serious body mods to fit in that bumper? and do you think those headers will fit in a y block? i don't have an exhaust syst. period thanks to some quick garage thinking. (long story).

anyway just beautifully done on the truck can't wait to get mine out on the street!

11. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Are you still working at Maiers? And are you still in SLZ? Haven't seen you cruizin around as much... Mikes probably got ya working hard..

12. redstraw

redstraw
    from tn

thats a cool old truck looks like your making good progress need to get out there and work on my c-10.

13. 510madmav

510madmav

KINGPIN question for you kingpins, My spindle is loose on the axle slightly, Just a little bit of play, feels like a loose wheel bearing (its not, i just serviced them)..the kingpin's little tapered locking pin won't seat , it just keeps sucking in farther and farther. The end of the tapered pin is now recessed into the axle about a .25" ..By tightening it I was able to elimanate some play. You could keep tightening the pin but Im afraid it will pull it too far. Anyone have some insight? part number for larger pins?

14. 510madmav

510madmav

drop axle installed, rear end flipped. details and more pics later. I literally just finished flipping the rear.
    [​IMG]

15. conormulroney

conormulroney

Looking good! the stance is perfect for one of those trucks. Enjoy the drive.
    Conor

16. 100% Matt

100% Matt

17. Blake84

Blake84

18. Did you do anything else to the front suspension or is that just a drop axle?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Bert.

Bert.

20. 510madmav

510madmav

Got a pretty bad death wobble, going about 35mph straight, whole front end shakes uncontrollably, anyone else have this issue? My toe in is appx 1/16", caster on both sides are appx 2.5-3' I have some 2' caster shims Im about to throw in... the steering box has a good amount of play in it, .... Weird thing is, it does it randomly, not consistently.... please chime in, Im driving out to sac tomorrow for midnight mass, which is why im eager.

21. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Did you heat and bend your steering arm after installing the drop axle?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. Cuzinfredo

Cuzinfredo
    from Chicago

Were you able to sort out the deathwobble? I have a similar setup on my 59 where I'm running a 3" Drop Axle from sids with a 2 leafs removed from the stock leaf springs. I installed new Kingpins, Spindles, and bushings and was still getting a deathwobble at 35-40 mph. I have 1/8 toe in, installed 6' caster shims, and a steerign stabilizer. The deathwobble is now like a critical injury wobble that I can control with a quick tap of the brake. Let me know if you figured yours out. Thanks.

23. verde742

verde742

either knock out rivets on front of rear spring mount and move it up, drill and bolt it back in. Or flip it over, to use reversed spring eye spring. (old and I forgot what I did)

24. so I just went thru your thread.. so is that reverse eyed mono's with a sids 3 in drop axle on the front?? and did you notch with the flip in the rear and did you have to move shock mounts??