Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs '56 Chevy 3100 project - hard time choosing paint color... See RENDERING:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

Quality first regardless of price. I may just find an old set in my collection and have them refinished. Were they zinc plated originally?

2. Buzznut

Buzznut

UPDATE: It's been a while. I now have the windshield in, just got the exhaust finished - an x-pipe with cut-outs (for when I want to open exhaust) and SS Magnaflows. Sounds sweet...I'll post a video of it running soon. Here are some pics of the exhaust.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. dubie

dubie

I'm looking forward to the video. I'm on the fence between Magnaflows and one other muffler and I'm hoping to order them this week. Looks like a really nice exhaust set up

4. Buzznut

Buzznut

The Magnaflows sound really nice, and the x-pipe evens out the 292 cam for every-day driving. That's the main reason I had the cut-outs installed, so I could hear the cam when I wanted to.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  5. dubie

dubie

is that 2 1/2" pipe? and what was the Magnaflow part number for the mufflers you used?

6. Buzznut

Buzznut

Yeah, I used the 2 1/2" Vette style cast manifolds (I HATE dealing with leaking headers) and it's 2 1/2" pipes all the way out.

I believe the part number is Magnaflow 12226. I've had Flowmasters and I like the sound and harmonics of these mufflers much better. Don't get me wrong, Flowmasters can sound great in the right application and on the right vehicle, but they would drone me out of my truck around 60 mph to where I would literally get a headache.

7. dubie

dubie

I have the Vette style manifolds as well. It sounds like our exhaust notes will be VERY close in sound. I have a buddy of mine that is pushing the Flowmasters but the more trucks I hear with Magnaflows, the more I tend to sway my opinion their way. What kind of rumble do you get at idle?

8. 1959apache

1959apache

That looks killer buzznut, you are getting close man. How much did that custom exhaust set you back?

9. Buzznut

Buzznut

It was a buddy deal... He would have charged $450, which I think would be about right and well worth it, I got it for $250. (I supplied the Magnaflows at $80 ea from Summit)

10. dubie

dubie

what size is the outlet on those tips?

11. Buzznut

Buzznut

The inlet and the outlet on the mufflers are 2 1/2", the salami-cut chrome tips are cheap NAPA parts that are sized to slip over 2 1/2" pipes.

12. dubie

dubie

but the outlet on the tips looks to be about 4". That's what I was asking about. I bet that adds a little more bark onto that exhaust

13. Buzznut

Buzznut

That's an optical illusion, although megaphones would have been cool on there come to think of it. They are the same diameter front to rear, the camera created a wide angle effect, and I'm sure the salami cut also increases the optical illusion.

14. dubie

dubie

it sure does create that illusion. I have a buddy of mine that's running a pair of 6" mega phone style tips that come up on over the axle and pound on the pavement. It sounds incredible. Speaking of sounding incredible, when can we expect this long awaited video of your exhaust? I went back and watched the video with just straight pipe and it sounded ridiculously strong. I bet that cam resonates pure muscle sound through these new pipes

15. Buzznut

Buzznut

Been having a blast driving it...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. dubie

dubie

lookin good man, REALLY good!!! did you lower the front a bit more? It looks lower. Nice stance!!

17. Buzznut

Buzznut

I took one more leaf out last night (already either one or two missing) to see how it handled and what it would look like. It handled like horrible mush, so I put it back in, but the stance was perfect. i'll be getting the posies drop leafs as soon as the checkbook allows.

BTW: Did you notice my custom A/C?? LOL...used heavy twine to hold my sidewings open...works like a charm.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  18. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Lookin good Buzznut! Where abouts are you in NorCal?

19. dubie

dubie

hahaha now that's ingenuity!!! It's looking really good man. And it must be one hell of a great feeling to be able to drive it eh?

20. Buzznut

Buzznut

I'm in the Sierra Foothills, Grass Valley to be exact. I love where you live...Shasta is one of my favorite places bar none.

21. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Cool deal. Well, I was born and raised in Mt. Shasta so it's always my "home" but I live in Rocklin now. I see that you'll be at Midnight Mass tomorrow. I'll be spectating and look forward to seeing your truck in person and saying hello if you're around.

22. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Hi Buzznuts! Like everyone else has said, your truck just looks great. I don't know how I've missed this thread but I just went back and read the whole thing - partially to make sure I HAD'NT already asked you the same questions!

Every time I see it I admire it and want to ask a million questions - I hope you don't mind.

What paint did you use for the frame paint? I assume you shot it yourself?
    What did you end up doing for your passenger side headlight trim ring to eliminate the gap - I have the same issue on the driver's side on mine.

I see a lot of red cables under the truck in the exhaust shots in post #182. I assume they're battery cables, but it looks like they're going to some sort of central location, are they? Why?

23. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Oh, and PS, the important question:
    I've REALLY been debating over IFS or dropped axle. I ALREADY have an uninstalled CPP disc bake kit, and a manual dual master cylinder frame mount kit. So obviously I should install these. But my front leaf springs have 5 leaves on one side and 6 on the other! So stock or dropped I've gotta address that. Likely with Posies Super Sliders which raises the question of whether I even need more drop than the 3" they claim? To install all this stuff I likely need to pull the entire front end apart and "while I'm in there" I should replace the king pins, etc. How truly happy are you with how yours rides, steers? Do you plan power steering and if so, what method?

24. Buzznut

Buzznut

Must have missed you. There are a few more coming up in NorCal...I'm going to try to make a few more before the season ends.

25. Buzznut

Buzznut

The frame paint is really nothing that special. I used Rustoleum industrial paint in a spray can. In retrospect I wish i had used catalyzed paint. I bought some industrial epoxy paint in black for the backside of the outer fenders and inner fenders...to keep the inside of the wheels wells dark so they didn't stand out. I shot that using an HVLP set-up and wished I had done the same on the frame.

Haven't addressed the issue of the passenger eyebrow area, but I'm convinced that fender is beyond hope and plan on replacing it with a better piece.

The cables are all going into and coming out of a master kill switch that is mounted to the floor with the switch accessible from inside the cab.

The front disc set-up I have utilizes stock spindles with tapered bearings and 1970 Chevelle rotors and calipers. I will admit that I have a steering wheel slop issue, but it is completely unrelated to the way my front end is set up. The slop I have is either from tires that are too wide (poor decision on my part), loose kingpins (installed kingpins that had only about 1000 miles on them into a different axle - another bad decision) or a gearbox that I didn't rebuild well. I actually don't think the steering/gearbox is bad as it checked out and showed tight tolerances when I built it, but I'm going to remove it to make sure.

OK, so the real issue is how well my front end HANDLES. Remove the steering slop from the equation and it handles excellent. It tracks perfect, has no bumpsteer, takes turns at high speed with ease and feels sure and tight...on GOOD roads. The bad news is that on bad roads, it's a bear to handle and quite jolting. Basically, it feels like a 57 year old truck...which never had great suspension even when new. If you want a smooth ride and don't want to ever feel the road, go IFS. If you can't afford it, or you want to stay "traditional", use the Posies set-up.

I like the way mine is set up and when I get the steering tighter it will handle very well. The anti-sway bar is ESSENTIAL...I drove my buddies truck last week and it has a lot of body roll...mine has virtually none. I like the 6 degree axle shim that creates 6 degrees of negative caster and helps the wheel come back to center and also helps ease high speed steering. I also have a 3.5" drop axle and will eventually install the posies 3" drop springs. Keep in mind that I dropped the rear 7.5" and the front sits nearly level as it is right now. The reason is that my dad removed 2 leafs from the front leaf pack (which I believe contributed to the jolting ride on bad roads). I want to put those leafs back in to help get back some of the suspension I'm missing and remove some of the harshness when hitting bumps and uneven roads. When I install this I will raise it around 1.5" and then the Posies will dump it 3", which will net me a 1.5" drop from where it currently sits.

Also, the cool factor of the drop axle seems to appeal to quite a few people. I have already received a dozen comments or so from people who have bothered to get down and look under the truck that they really dig the way I set it up using stock parts and didn't install IFS.

Finally, coming home from Midnite Mass last night, my buddy in his '54 Chevy pickup and me in my '56 blasted through Auburn and up Hwy 49, and I mean blasted, and my truck handles great and feels sure and tight...on GOOD roads.

26. Buzznut

Buzznut

Driving it is a blast...more fun than I even expected. It is wicked fast and it just keeps pulling all through the gears and deep into forth. I'm not sure of my speeds, but I'm sure I need to be more careful...

27. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Buzz

Neat ride sets just right too, not too much posted about a color lately

In 56' Chevy had a Sierra gold that would look good with a pearl beige two tone using a 1/4" wide turned gold leaf strip where the colors come together.

That would make a neat package nice and clean & rich looking and be plenty striking with the gold leaf trim

A long time friend from the S.F.V. who is in your town, Jim Moser would do a great job on the turned leaf as he my bike tank & helmet way back and it was perfect!!

If you talk to Jim tell him Don says Hi!!

G Don

28. dubie

dubie

I like reading your drivers review on how your truck handles. It makes me think I should be investing in an anti sway bar here in the near future.

Here's a shot of mine with mono leafs, a dropped axle and 60 series tires so you can see how low you'll be afterwards. I have 3 3/4" from the bottom of the axle to the garage floor and just under 6" of clearance at the rocker

Attached Files:

29. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Dubie

I bought a 78' Ranchero in 80' and put a ford racing rear sway bar on it, it is amazing how flat it is going around a turn

This is the first car I have ever had with a bar at both ends, plus it has 50 series TA's that help too

Warmed up 410 cid - 325 rear gear runs pretty good for a parts chaser, and handles like a big go-kart

If you can get two bars for your truck!!

G Don

30. Buzznut

Buzznut

Personally I think the sway-bar is essential, especially on these old trucks with stock suspension.

Your truck looks just right in the front - exactly what I was looking for on mine.

G Don, I know Jim...I've known him for around 25 years. He's a good guy and an amazing talent. I've watched him freehand stripe, airbrush and turn copper and gold. His gold leaf is impeccable, probably the best I've ever seen (no exaggeration)...in fact, he did the transom lettering with turned gold leaf on the back of our family's '59 Philbrick mahogany boat. I'll try to post a pic.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013