Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features '36 Chrysler coupe - mild custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skiviskaves, Jul 26, 2013.

1. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

She came up for sale here on the hamb, I fell in love, and after talking with the owner for about an hour I made the craziest most irrational decision of my life, bought the car sight unseen. I was out of the country on business at the time but it didn’t stop me, the money was wired, the truck was hired, and my new baby was on its way from So-Cal to WI. The car showed up about 1 week later and I tell you with great exuberance everything was just as advertised. I spent the first week dealing with a starter/ring gear issue that still hasn’t been completely solved, but now at least the car starts. If you’re interested that ordeal is documented here: http://p15-d24.com/topic/33509-help-please-251-chysler-spitfire-starter/
    A new ring gear is planned for the winter, but I am hoping to limp the chewed up gear that is in it through the summer.
    Specs on the car: 1936 Chrysler Airstream coupe, ’51 251 Chrysler Spitfire flathead straight 6, 3-speed with push button OD, later Mopar rear. Filled roof, but otherwise I believe the body is stock for the most part including the skirts.
    As purchased:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. redzula

redzula

I remember seeing that for sale I think. Or maybe it was a please Photoshop this for me thread either way it was and is a beautiful car hope you have fun with it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

The car came with 14" wheels and radials, gotta go. The previous owner disclosed that one of the front wheels was bent and that the car would shake and wobble at around 65mph. First order of business after the starter, before even driving the car, was to throw some more appropriate wheels/tires on the front. Trying to get a feel for what I want before laying down the cash for new rubber. I took the 15" wheels of my '40 Plymouth with bias ply WWWs and added '52 Plymouth caps. I think we have a winner!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Yup, it was for sale about a month ago, at the same time the owner was talking about keeping the car for a while and chopping it. Here's the thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=811243&highlight=photochop

5. bgaro

bgaro

yeah, this was the one the fellah wanted to chop.

6. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

great looking car. the wheel change made it much better

7. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

I ordered 3" drop blocks from Butch's today for the rear. I'll probably run her as a tail dragger for a little while and play it by ear. I may just do a little coil cutting up front, or possibly a spring swap. Really, the more I stare at the car, the lower I seem to want it. The look I have in mind is post war early 50's mild custom, so not layin on the ground, but nice and low with a little rake towards the back. Getting the stance right and new rolling stock are pretty much the only things I have planned for the immediate future. A little mechanical tweeking and she should be a nice reliable driver, and she'll be driven, a lot.

8. 'Mo

'Mo

What a beauty!
    I like your plans, and the big 6.

Do you plan to soup up the motor? If so, would it be a good idea to lighten up the flywheel a bit when the ring gear is replaced, for more responsiveness? (I mean, as long as it's out?)

My 4 door '49 Fleetline is also a big car, but still runs smooth with with a healthy cut to the flywheel.

9. snelson57

snelson57

I was watching that thread and was tempted, too.

I hope to see it around town. Wheel change looks great.

10. 4woody

4woody

I think Butch sells some spacers to drop the spring pocket on the lower control arm (and therefore the front of the car) down without cutting the springs.

That is a beautiful car!

Only thing I'd change beside the altitude: Get rid of the funky turn indicators and un-sealedbeam the headlights. The proper domed lenses really will change the face of your new car!

11. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Thanks!
    No immediate hop up plans, but if I run across a trick 2X2 intake or finned aluminum head for the right price I'm sure I'd jump on it.
    I've never thought about lightening the flywheel...maybe.

12. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Didn't know about that spacer, wish I would have prior to having him ship the drop blocks. Will look into it for sure.
    The signals have been flipped to the bottom where they are a bit less in your face, definitely have thought about changing those at some point.

13. Smokey2

Smokey2

"Bitchin' Ride...........Congrats !

Sounds like a Good Plan.

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Very cool car.. Enjoy...

15. guitard

guitard

Hey man, when she walks into the room you just know. Killer ride.

16. alsancle

alsancle

I liked it when he had it for sale and knew somebody would jump in because relative to a lot of stuff you see for sale it seemed like a real good deal. Good luck with it. Cool car.

17. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Thanks guys! Just got back from my parent's car club picnic, the old boys gave their approval.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375062244.303100.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375062262.235770.jpg

18. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Looking back at my Back to the 50's photos from last year, this is exacly the look/stance that I want.

[​IMG]

19. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Got the 3" blocks in the back today. Unfortunately it's pouring rain so can't get a proper look at the car but I'm too excited not to share a pic now!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375230811.123225.jpg

20. OL SWEDE

OL SWEDE
    from midwest

Great looking coupe!! I can understand why you jumped on this, the lines of those cars just grab ya. Pretty much did the same thing with a C8 sedan & not regretting it.

21. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

I'd love to see a photo of your sedan, don't get to see many of these! What mods, if any, have you done to your Airstream?

22. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

3" blocks in back. Scraped the tailpipe comin out of my driveway and lost the chrome tip on the road somewhere...the price of cool. I know I'm going to loose 1-2" when I put 15" wheels and tall tires on the back. I'm thinking I would like to go with lowering springs in back too eventually, and hope to get about 3" lower in the front, probably do some coil cuttin.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375580493.987659.jpg

23. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

What does the 36 front suspension look like - is it IFS? If it is like slightly later Mopars, look at the front coil mounting pocket. Is it such that you could drill out the rivets holding the coil mount in place and move it to the bottom of the A-arm? That trick works for at least a 39 Chrysler (maybe earlier) and most or all 1940s Mopars, gets a lower ride height with no coil cutting.

24. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

The IFS is a bit different than the later 30s mopars, the lower coil pocket is on the bottom side of the a-arm. It may be possible to shim it down a bit. Ive heard good things about the trick you speak of with the later mopar IFS including that it gives a nice ride, was thinking about going that route on my 40 Plymouth. To me it seems like the easiest route on this car is going to be shorter springs. I think Aerostar springs may work but still have a little homework to do on that.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375661895.669490.jpg

25. farmer12

farmer12

Great score on the Mopar Bill! I really like what you've done to it so far, the stance is getting better by the week! Even though some may not agree, I think a chop would look great as well.........

26. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Thanks Eric!!! I agree that a chop would look cool however I won't be able to bring myself to cut the car up any time soon, the interior/headliner is just too nice, and I like the patina on the old paint job. Maybe someday, but I do love the lines on the car as it sits.
    Your car is looking great, can't wait to see the parts when they start coming back from paint!

27. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Just like they would have done it back in the day. Still has a usable ride height. Just need some late 30'ss / early 40's accessories. Thats a beauty!

28. Like skiviskaves, I love the original lines and have a 36 Dodge coupe that I do not plan to chop. But it is very interesting to look at artist renderings in some of the original Chrysler ads such as the one below. Before hot rodders got their hands on the sheet metal, the artists had chopped, stretched the front, sectioned, and tilted the windshield and grille.

Attached Files:

29. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

I'm glad someone bought this, I remember reading the threads on it and the photoshop chop. It looks in good hands and I really like the direction you are taking it. Congrats on getting a cool car.