Register now to get rid of these ads!

led tailights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jan bogert, Jul 26, 2013.

1. jan bogert

jan bogert

I just got my led taillights. I know its wired correctly. my running light works, brake light works, but the problem is my turn signal. when I turn the turn on it just lites no flashing. I have the 2 prong flashers in that came with the wiring harness. is there a different one I need?:)

2. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Might need a resistor inline to make the flasher work. check with who you bought the light from to see if they have a resistor kit to 'load' the voltage to the flasher. Usually, when I have seen this it is because the flasher itself needs a certain amount of voltage load to make it trip on and off and LED turn signals don't have squat for voltage load.

Just my thoughts.

3. jan bogert

jan bogert

do they have different flashers for led's?

4. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

just did this and yes they do. go to the car parts store and where the flashers are there are the regular ones and next to those are the clear ones with the little circuit board in them. thats the one you need.

5. 117harv

117harv

LED flasher a quick search turned up this thread, the search function is your friend...and it's free;)

6. 29moonshine

29moonshine

x2 on the flasher

7. Hearseville

Hearseville
    from Gulf Coast

LED's dont draw enough amps to operate a regular flasher.

8. olds vroom

olds vroom

Yes they make a flasher for led lights bit a resistor in line should fix your problem. That's what I had to do and the work great now.

9. jan bogert

jan bogert

oldsvroom, what kind of resister, and where did u get it?

10. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

There's your problem. The LED goes in the 8 track.

11. jan bogert

jan bogert

mashed, yea, and Mary had a little lanb! so whats your point?

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't mind him, he's working on his "that's not traditional enough" cred posts in a sideways way.

True Led tail lights and turn signals aren't traditional and that has been discussed plenty but some guys want those mini van driving latte slurping, cell phone blabbing, kid swatting soccer moms to notice that the car is either stopped or turning ahead of them if they take their eyes off the dvr video on the console long enough.

An ebay search for led turn signal flasher shows them for about 11 or 12 bucks shipped to the door if you can't find one locally.
    These guys show one that works with either led, incandescent or a combo of both.