Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hudson Stepdown V-8 people

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raidmagic, Jul 26, 2013.

1. raidmagic

raidmagic

I'm looking at my car and I don't think there is room for a V-8 and my steering box. If you have done this swap what did you do for steering? Was it a problem? I've taken some measurements and it appears like there will be room but I'd like to hear from people that have actually done this. I'd like to not redo the suspension as the car drives down the road nice and I don't see any reason to change that. If you have any knowledge about this I'd like to hear it.

Please don't use this thread to try to dissuade me from doing this that isn't the point of the thread, I am looking for people that have done this and what obstacles they have come against.

2. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

There's couple guys on here & Classiccar that have done it (can't remember their names?) a couple with SBC & 1 with a wedge head 318,Rumor has it there a collector in Denver that has 2 Stepdowns with big block Mopars in them:eek:
    P/S plan changing rear ends..

3. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

4. raidmagic

raidmagic

Thanks for the link, I have the rear end taken care of already, I bought it with plans to swap it already.

5. Here's a few pictures of the buick 430 I am putting in my wasp, I say do it!

Attached Files:

6. raidmagic

raidmagic

How is the fitment around the steering? Do you have any pics of that area?

7. I will take a few for you tomorrow and post them, I offset the engine to the passenger side just a bit.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Bruce Crower put an early Chrysler Hemi in one, in the early fifties.

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There was one in a junkyard I frequented that had a 50s Olds rocket in it that was probably installed in the 50s and probably had stock steering.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

raidmagic...Is it because the snout of the box points toward the centerline of the car? I'm not familiar with the step-down set-up, but I had a '47 Super Six coupe, and that's how my steering box was. I ended up selling the car, and didn't do the swap, but I determined that a V8 with a driver's side starter probably wouldn't fit. But I test-fit a SBC, and found that the oil filter, low on the driver's side at the rear of the engine would fit nicely behind the starter. Other than that, no clearance issues.

Edit: Meant to say the oil filter fit nicely behind the steering box.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  11. Ramblur

Ramblur

I could use that stepdown axle. 4.11?

12. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

13. raidmagic

raidmagic

Damaged Duck, that is one area of concern but not much. Nothing a custom oil pan won't take care of. It appears to have more room in the steering box area than I thought or than it look like looking at the car. Thanks for those pics. Can you take some measurements for me? I'd like to have some baselines to do some figuring before I pull the car apart. This way I can still drive and enjoy it while I'm plotting and planning. Thanks.

Ramblur, I'm sure we can work something out when I get there and have it out.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Center steer Cavalier rack? Its tie rod attachments are about as far apart as the current tie rod.
    [​IMG]
    With an offset plate, to correct geometry:
    [​IMG]
    You can hold the pump that drives them (Saginaw TC, aka Type II), in one hand, minus the reservoir. Easy to mount.

Just a thought.

Tim likes this.
  15. raidmagic

raidmagic

Well that's interesting, is that your car? What year Cavalier? Did you make all the mounts?

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not my car, but I have done a few for customers. The geometry issues in most cars make for some bump-steer issues, but, in your case, it appears to be a better application for this rack than most. The offset plate can be made to correct the geometry (put the new tie-rod pivots exactly where the old ones were), and adapt conventional tie rod ends, as the stock Cavalier inner ones are weird.

The only thing I can't confirm for you, are any oil pan clearance issues.

The rack is circa 1989.

17. Ramblur

Ramblur

Your not that far from me. My 49 is on the lift now minus motor/trans. If you'd like,get with me and come over some evening and measure all you'd like. I'm I-4 exit 44 Polk City.

18. raidmagic

raidmagic

Yes that was my concern but seeing these picks plus another site there is a guy with a big block in his so I'm not as concerned now. I'm going to video mine running so I can sell the current engine if I so chose and pull it apart so I can get on with my project. Thanks for the input

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Meant to say the oil filter fit nicely behind the steering box. Good luck.

20. raidmagic

raidmagic

I figured that's what you meant, after reading it three times :D

21. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

just happen to have an old (1969) tex smith engine swap book which shows step-downs, one with an early hemi and one with an early v-8 olds. the only fitment problem was the rear-sump oil pans slightly interfering with the steering, but that was solved by banging the sump a little with a hammer!

22. This one?

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Engine-Swapping-No/dp/B000HW831Y

I'm quietly following along, making plans for my '49.

23. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

A few years ago, I drug home a '50 Commodore that had a 303 Olds in it with Hurst mounts and, while a few spots were tight, it fit in there.

24. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

to bruce mc--that's the one! mine is a lot more used than the one pictured.

25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Hudson 48 had a BBC put in his Hudson however it is on a full chassis from a local GM van. Front mounted GM powersteering box solved clearance issues.

26. segajeep

segajeep

Looks good. How did this work out for you? I'm looking at a 430 myself for my Hudson hack. How was your exhaust clearance? The pan looks like it wasn't too bad. Those 430s really put out.

27. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

I can't help on the engine fitment issues but was wondering what rear you planned on using? My 49 use to run a bbc but it was clipped with a 78 g body subframe before I got it I put a little 283 in it for now It has the same 78 rear that's junk unfortunately(warped axle tube and broken pin retaining bolt in the carrier) so I was wondering what else fit

28. jimmyg_146

jimmyg_146

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411829854.639149.jpg
    Would that rack work for a 47? I'm putting a sbc and I'm trying to figure out my steering and front brakes.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. don daddyo

don daddyo

Not sure ! but it fit very well on my 51 ford, just need some measurement between the rail frame ...

30. schillaz

schillaz

Will a Ford FE390 fit in a 49 stepdown?
    Reason I am asking is I can get my hands on a recent rebuilt 390 and 9 inch rear end. I have a spare 49 brougham and think this could be a nice setup.