Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Arnett-Granatelli-Couch 1934 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Jul 23, 2013.

1. skinnydude

skinnydude

What a great looking ride!!! very impressive clean and simple looking

2. frank spittle

frank spittle

Great story Bill. Didn't know about this car.

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

What an elegant hot rod....and a great read too. Thanks for posting this up.

4. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I remember that coupe from the magazines back in the day. A lot of work to get that look, but they did it so well.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I've got Andy's autobiography (had it since 1969) and remember a photo of it in the book, as well as Andy's account of the car. Way cool!

6. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Thanks for posting that story. What a beautiful car. The proportions and details are perfect. I'm looking forward to recurring dreams of me driving that thing.

7. One day we hope to do a feature on the car's build ny Arnett. That's a story in itself.

8. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

I saw it when it was in the Saratoga exhibit a few years ago, hard for any pictures to do it justice. So subtle it is stunning, everything is so right from every angle.

Ed

9. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Thanks for posting. Stunning proportions for sure.

10. I've seen photos of the car while it was under construction by Arnett and the Bean Bandits. It's amazing. Basically, he cut it apart with a torch six or eight different ways (including the frame) then gas-welded it all back together again - moving it around and balancing it on oil drums. It defies belief.

11. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Great story, beautiful car thanks.

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

One of a very few hot rods that you will NEVER see cloned. And sure as hell as I'm saying that some rich "gotta have" will commission one built just to draw attention to himself and his $$$$'s.

Frank

13. belair

belair

Is this the car that he robbed a cluster gear out of a friend's car for? I read his autobiography 40 years ago and still remember that story.

14. chop32

chop32

Great story, Amazing car...

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. Saw the car back in 2010 at Saratoga ip close and personal, a great car and great history

17. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Not only is it a great car in general but it also has one of the nicest interiors ever installed in a vintage hot rod !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. I know there's been talk of doing a clone of the car as it was when Arnett owned it -- black with stock dash and front suspension.

19. Mike

Mike

And don't forget the un-filled roof. I had a conversation with Joaqin Arnett about that car back in 2000. He said that he told the current owner "You fucked that car up, you filled the roof".

The un-filled roof was one of the details that had people scratching their melons when Arnett brought the car to the Oakland Roadster Show. Many people there figured the car for a wierd, one off Ford factory build and refused to believe that a young Mexican guy from San Diego could have built it.

Granatelli spoke with Arnett at the show and did believe that he built the car. Granatelli really liked the machine, so he offered Arnett what was at the time a sizeable chunk of cash, and away the car went.

20. frank spittle

frank spittle

Are there any pics from the ORS or before Andy reworked it?

21. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for posting this story. I did not know about this car but I'm glad I do now.

22. JCShiels

JCShiels

I first learned about this car in the Autoweek article years ago. I would like to see photos of the original version also, but the car is so stunning as it is now it would be difficult to image that it could be better. I went to Gilmore again yesterday to stare at it again - also watched them moving dirt for the Lincoln Museum.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, take a look at TRJ #18. One of my all-time favorite cars. Call me a heretic, but I think Granatelli improved it. Love the subtle mint green, and the avacodo T&R. If you dont have that issue, let me know, and I will post pics later.

24. Mike

Mike

Arnett's comment about the filled roof was more technical than aestetic (the car looks great both ways). It's very difficult to chop and shrink a car like that one, keeping the roof insert, and making it look right. At that time, most folks who chopped tops like that one just filled the roof (much easier). The right looking roof insert was one of the main details that had people thinking it must have been a factory job.

25. The story goes that Granatelli had many G's in a money belt when he came in from Chicago, and he paid $3000 for the car. Would have been a huge amount at the time -- adjusting for inflation does not really express it properly.

At around this same time, Arnett also did a Tudor sedan in a similar style but it was reportedly purchased by a woman in Mexico, went off down the road and has never reappeared.

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I get that. My "heretic" comment was more addressing the (to some) heretical suggestion that Andy Granatelli improved on Arnett's original version.

27. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Having seen this car in person I can say its one of my all time favorates.