Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Rambler American Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ColinCS, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColinCS

ColinCS

Hey guys, in my intro thread I posted up a couple pictures of the car, but here are a couple more for your viewing pleasure.

I bought the car over a year ago now, and am finally getting around to doing what I want with it. It originally started as a simple "fix the brakes and suspension and drive it" project, but after removing the head to have the valves redone and finding 2 cracks, it got more in depth and way more expensive real quick.

The day I bought it
    [​IMG]

Testing how low I want it to be by taking the springs out about 9 months ago
    [​IMG]

Here is the engine coming out to be rebuilt, prior to finding the cracks in the head (fans on car FTW).
    [​IMG]

Since this picture not much has happened to the car. I have recently bought a donor car to cannibalize for its drivetrain and suspension, which you can see in the album link in my signature. It's a 1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC.

Along with the more powerful V8 drivetrain, it will be getting air bags, narrowed/sectioned bumpers, re arranged interior, and taillights out of a 1964 Impala. Looking forward to seeing this thing finally get some work done to it!

2. The engine bay of the American is on the small and narrow side... Please do update if your ford will fit in there....

3. ColinCS

ColinCS

It is definitely very narrow and small. Even the stock 196 L6 looked decent size in it! I think the Ford will fit, just barely. I will continue to post progress on this same thread.

4. flynstone

flynstone

yea i wanna see this, i have one i think im going the v6 route, but if yours works out who knows......mine runs ok for now but it needs a updated motor to go on the frwy.....waiting for more pics

Attached Files:

5. We had a '64 Rambler 220 when I was a kid. The car was essentially bulletproof, ran forever, and out of all of our cars, it was the best one for driving on snow. Put a pair of snow tires on it, and it would go through nearly anything. It didn't make enough power to break the tires loose!

The engine bays are extremely narrow, even narrower than a '62-'67 Nova. If you just want to make a cool cruiser, the stock six modified with a few goodies would be a good, dependable choice.

6. ColinCS

ColinCS

Today I am headed to the shop to tear apart the donor car and strip it of everything I will need. I will post some pics!

And nice looking convertible!!!

I remember my first build. 1964 Rambler American

7. ColinCS

ColinCS

I was going that route but the price of a new head was more than I paid for the donor car, plus I didn't think about the amount of extra work I signed up for by cramming a v8 into the rambler. Will have more pics tonight.

8. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Nice to see another Rambler pop up.

9. mopar210

mopar210

cool - im going to watch this thread ! when we put the mopar in our 64 classic (and its compartment is much bigger than the American) we knew it would take an extra big shoehorn - we were correct ! its been quite a challenge and its not for the faint of heart. if we had opted for a cage we could have cut out the shock towers , but we wanted a very stock looking interior and engine bay , and on these ramblers the shock towers play a huge role in the rigidity of the unibody . I wish you lots of luck , don't be scared ! looks like a really cool ride , and looks solid . cant wait to see this thing come to life . if I can be of any help , let me know - I feel I have been educated somewhat on these ramblers after spending some real quality time with one over the last 2 years 4 months 5 days 19 hours 37 minutes 23...23...25...26 seconds

Attached Files:

10. why put an ugly ford motor in it should have a should a least have a 390 or 401 amc i've seen one with a 425 buick and another with a big block chev

11. ColinCS

ColinCS

There seems to be few and far between! Thanks for noticing

But who's counting, right? Thanks for offering to help as I'm sure I'll run into some obstacles fitting that new powerplant into the small engine compartment. Your Classic came out badass! Thanks for sharing!

12. ColinCS

ColinCS

Alright, so we did not get as much done as I had hoped due to prior obligations of myself and the friend who helped me, but here are some pics of what we accomplished.

Got the fenders and hood removed (hood is just sitting there to protect from elements). Grill and bumper assembly I did earlier this week.
    [​IMG]

Got the rear suspension and drive shaft out of the car, and decided moving dollies would work to move the car around...they worked, but barely.
    [​IMG]

And after my buddy left I started disconnecting everything at the firewall and tearing into the dash to get the wiring I will need out.
    [​IMG]

Last but not least, here is the axle sitting in my garage, awaiting fitment into the Rambler. Next weekend I am hoping to recruit more friends to help me get the engine/tranny out and get started on the swap.
    [​IMG]

13. ColinCS

ColinCS

Haven't posted anything here but I have been at work on this project. Last weekend my buddy came to my shop and helped me pull the motor/trans/front suspension assembly, which went pretty smooth!

So for an update, I have stripped the Lincoln donor car of everything (front/rear suspension, engine, trans, drive shaft, ECU, Harness, Steering Column, Shifter/linkage) and have sent it off to the scrap yard. Once I make a better dolly for the suspension/drivetrain assembly, I will be able to wheel it around and start to graft everything into the old Rambler shell.

Side note, no pictures because while I was disconnecting part of the harness at the firewall, my 2 month old phone slid off the car and into a bucket of antifreeze....hopefully have a new phone soon and more updates as well. Now the fun can begin!

14. Awesome keep us posted! I want to see the taillight treatment:cool:

15. mechanic58

mechanic58

Here's one I used to have - man it was a clean car. Not a speck of rust on it anywhere...already had a 350 and a saginaw 4-speed in it when I got it - with an 8" Ford rearend. I didn't keep it for very long. Sitting in my carport there in plain view - it attracted a lot of attention. Bout 2 weeks after I got it some guy drove up and said he'd heard about it sitting here and he was hellbent on buying it. I turned a nice profit on it and I didn't do anything to it. It was a deathtrap though - really didn't hurt my feelings to let it go. lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  16. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Did someone say '64 Rambler American?

My first car - still have it

Attached Files:

17. ColinCS

ColinCS

Man mechanic58 that thing did look very nice!! Those are the best deals when you don't have to do anything and make a nice pocket full of cash.

That hemi looks awesome down in that Rambler! How long have you owned it?

Hopefully sending the rear end off this week to get narrowed.

18. marzo91

marzo91
    from Wisconsin

Plenty of room for any engine if you can get rid of the spring towers.

Attached Files:

19. marzo91

marzo91
    from Wisconsin

This one is a Rambler Classic 2 door hard-top.

Attached Files:

20. ColinCS

ColinCS

Nice project! Thanks for sharing.

21. ColinCS

ColinCS

Finally got some time after work to get something done on the project. This time my goal was to drop the stock rear end so I can get measurements on how much I want to narrow the new rear axle. Mission accomplished.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377670644.042875.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377670664.108661.jpg
    And managed to twist off the first bolt of the build...from the e-brake assembly
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377670721.933895.jpg

Now I can strip down the new rear axle, get it narrowed and next time it goes under the car it will be powder coated black.

Looking to sell the original rambler drivetrain if anyone is interested pm me. 196 ohv, twin stick trans, driveshaft and complete rear end with brand new drums/shoes/brake hardware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.