Register now to get rid of these ads!

#8 cyl. Hyd Lifter shoots like a cannon, others a trickel ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by awsomeears, Jul 25, 2013.

1. awsomeears

awsomeears

Edelebrock heads with Crane 1.6 rockers, correct length push rods, new Howards Hyd. lifters and .450 cam.

I had a rocker get a little noisy on me yesterday so we figured to pop off the valve cover and start her up, anticipating some oil to shoot out we had a plastic blocker.

Well #8 cyl. was shooting the oil out like a cannon, I'm talking 3 feet in the air :eek: while every other rocker weeped out oil at 800 rpm idle and would push out close to 2,000 RPM a good inch of oil.

Everything is 1/2 pre-load and done right in proper sequence

Oil pressure Hot is 25-30 psi at idle, cruze It was close to 45-50

25 miles on the Hyd. lifters and cam

Any idea :eek:

Now I will add that tomorrow for the Hell of it as its only time, I'm going to loosen up all of my lifters and do the procedure over again. Just so I'm not chasing my own tail..

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. henry29

henry29

Uh, no never seen that before.

3. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Yep, my 307 SBC in my 30 A shot oil 3+ feet too. All of them did. Good oil pressure!? I had to build an 'adjuster cover' with a 10" side so the oil would be contained while I adjusted them. It also had a new cam and lifters. Don't know if it was supposed to do that or not but the engine ran awesome!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  4. awsomeears

awsomeears

What is generally normal at idle ? Ive personally never have done this but I know the 3' in the air is odd.

What is also odd is that both lifters shoot this high...

5. awsomeears

awsomeears

As I stated ill check them again after work. Maybe ill do 1/4 turn and take note of oil volume