Register now to get rid of these ads!

What street/City did you cruise in High School?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73super, Feb 5, 2010.

1. OldColt

OldColt

Harding Place (Nashville, Tn.)
    Gallatin Road (Madison, Tn.)
    Old Lebanon Road (Donelson, Tn.)

All were Shoney's Big Boy locations with drive through curb service canopy's.

Typical status symbols on cruiser cars were chrome reverse or mag wheels, and a windshield drag classification on Saturday, or Sunday nights.
    Hot rods were very very rare in my area during high school. The only one I remember was a '23 T-Bucket with a Blown Hemi driven by an older guy. He just cruised through real slow with the blower whining. Nobody even thought about challenging him. :D

2. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kungsgatan, Sveavagen, Tegnergatan, Birger Jarls....a.s.o.
    Cruisin' Stockholm early 80's (in a 66 Dodge Dart, 64 Malibu)

T

3. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

No real places to cruise to, just Main Street/ South Main Street in Colchester. Anyone with a car or those with a friend who had a car, could be found the parking area in front of Jack's Chevy or across the street in the Tri Towne shopping plaza. (Hey, for a small town in the mid 70's, what do you expect?) Usually, everyone was cool and few hassles from the local constablary (which includes the Staties, too.) Occasionally, there would be a little too much rowdyness, the plaza owners would complain and everyone would be chased out for a week or two.

4. mx6262

mx6262

That had to be the coolest ride in the lot....it would have been in my school lot.....Nice..

5. I was a bit earlier.... Meridian was still two way and Herfy's hadn't opened yet. It was the A&W, Arctic Circle, and the DQ. Most racing was done on River road after checking to see if smokey was hiding at the weigh station.... Stewart Ave was the alternative. When the idiots started racing through downtown, that's when they cracked down.

Nothing going on there, it was off to Sixth Ave in Tacoma. Busch's/K-mart to McDs/Highland Hills and back again, with maybe a quick buzz down to the Frisco Freeze for a grease burger. That went away when the cops convinced K-mart and the Hills shopping center to gate their parking lots after closing.

Did the Renton loop occasionally, but that was a long ways home when you blew something up....

6. jaxx

jaxx

Higgens blvd - Missoula Montana - Hellgate highschool - 1969 - 1972

7. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Spring chicken cruising

I was in HS and driving in 2002/2003

Barrett Parkway in Marietta.

Everyone made a u-turn at the Burger King and cruised down 2-3 miles down to the Sweet Tomatoes and pulled a u on that end.

Cops were notorious for kicking people out of lots so sometimes people would collect at Media Play/Chuck E Cheese, or Toys R Us or Walmart depending on the night.

Meet up several times only to set up races on either interstate highway that crossed over Barrett which is I-75 and I-575.

One time around 1am, couple of cars "blocked" off 575 just north of the exit because the highway goes dead straight for about 2 miles.

Scene is all but dead now. Cobb County PD did a heck of a job killing off everything

8. wicarnut

wicarnut

Milwaukee Wisconsin, mid 60's , Wisconsin ave on Saturday nite, Villard ave , Capital drive Big Boy, and hyw 100 south side. Great time to be a car guy, tons of fun and more street racing than anyone would believe unless you were there.

9. Gerg

Gerg

Nothing special we just called it cruising the lake... Sheboygan WI down the lake front then again that was only in 97 that I was cruising with my 85 regal lol

10. hemiboy

hemiboy

60's and 70's, Pasco, WA. East Court st. and 4th. A&W on Court, almost to 4th. Left on 4th to the railyard area, good for one race and outta there. Right on 4th to Sylvester, turn around and back up to Court. I'll never forget the night a guy in a '67 Hemi Coronet was showing off and pegged a power pole right in front of the A&W. Didn't do the car much good. Or Rob's cute little sister jumping the curb/divider of the left turn lane on Court...and dragging the front suspension for a block on it...'72 Nova SS. Fastest car in town, either Bedkar's '67 Nova L79 (10's at the strip)or the killer '33 Willy's coupe that died when it hit a Fiat running from the cops. Or the time I ran a Gremlin with my smallblock "34....and got dusted...the Gremmie had a 401 out of a cop car in it. Ouch.
    Or my buddy Bobbie. What a friend. The A&W sold root beer to go in recycled wine bottles. We bought two and went down 4th to sylvester. At the light at Sylvester we got the red and stopped. Cop car on the left, cop car to the right. Without looking, I said " Bobbie, don't drink out of that bottle!". I turn my head just in time to see him grin and tip it up....instant lights, sirens and cop cars front and back. Cop comes up to the passenger window, sticks his head in and says " Hanan and Derting, shoulda known. You wouldn't be drinking, your mom's would kill you!!" His mom was the police dispatcher...I still want to hit Bobbie everytime I think about it..... it would help if he wasn't 6' 5" and BIG.... but we still have fun!

11. blacknblue

blacknblue
    from utah

State St, Salt Lake City, Utah

12. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Woot...Farmington NM...mid to late 70's - San Juan Blvd...thru the Sonic Drive in...then up South Butler to West Main...Past Sambo's Restaurant...runnin' down to A&W Drive in......back to the Sonic...Rinse \ Repeat

13. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

thanks. yeah, not bad for a little girl. ;)

14. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Not without a Gun

15. Ohiovette

Ohiovette

1961, The Post Rd. in Stamford. Ct. usually stopped at White Tower at the top of the hill.
    Then out to Shippan, can,t remember the name of the place...
    Hell, it was 50+ years ago.

16. speedchangesyou

speedchangesyou

Back in the 60's it was 134th and Hawthorne Blvd, meet at the A&W talk smack to the guys about chicks and who wanted to race...we would cruise Hawthorne Blvd from the A&W to the Witch Stand, meet in the center divider and make bets on who was going to race.

The big Donut in Inglewood had an off ramp to the 405 freeway. It was exactly a quarter mile from the bottom of the ramp to a foot bridge crossing over the freeway. We raced their and once in a while someone would bring out a B gasser...we raced on Hawthorne Blvd and at a place we called Shells Shutoff.

Lions Drag Strip was in its hay day and my club The Nomads would race their on Sunday...the best of times!!!!!!!!

Still at it today at 67 with our 63 Dodge 330 running a period correct 392 Hemi, Dual Quads 871 Blower and a Temec 5 spd.....

The 60's what a time to come of age.....

Attached Files:

17. It's never too late to have a happy childhood.:)

18. montyl

montyl
    from UT

Washington Blvd, Ogden UT. I graduated in 81 but was catching rides with older freinds before that so late seventies. To drag the strip was only a few miles and the cops were everyware so most of the serious racing happend at Little mountain down west by the great salt lake. It was probably around the end of the draggin the blvrd seen due to the rize in gang membership in ogden. Now you keep your eyes to the road.

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

4th Street San Rafael and Petaluma Blvd, Petaluma.

Same as Milner. But more like Toad.

Attached Files:

20. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

Central Ave ..Yonkers to White Plains NY

21. Risky

Risky

Don't remember the street names but we cruised downtown arou.d the block that held Daltons corner(which was a teenage bar rock down stairs country up stairs). Before my time was Johnson Ave. in front of the highschool with parking at the city park. Cops closed the Johnson cruising and later closed the Daltons Corner cruising lotsa more crime after that. All this in Burleson,Tx Johnson from late 70s to I don't know how far back and Daltons Corner early to mid 80s. As far as I know there is no place to really cruise in this area anymore :(.

22. Apittslife

Apittslife

Cruised the above areas when I lived in each of these cities.
    The racing was still good on Hwy 100 in the early 80's.
    Evergreen park in Sheboygan was also a cruisin spot to see & be seen.

23. Slimmey

Slimmey

1975-79 Bucklin, Ks. Main street (hwy 34) main was just shy of 1/2 mile long, flip a U and cruise back. two filling stations and church parking lot if you were low on fuel. Friday game nights were the best, bumper to bumper till 1:am. If you got out of rotation to hit piss road, it was hard to get back in. Eventualy a race or two would get worked up out on cemetary road. Remember when you could drive at 14 and by beer at 18? City Marshall rules- no smoking tires in city limits, littering (beer cans), impeeding traffic, open headers. If you were caught drunk (not heavily) you were told to go home. Under 18 you had to poor it out at the curb. I think i violated all of them, got three tickets in one night and my uncle was the Marshall.

24. Slimmey

Slimmey

1975-79 Bucklin, Ks. Main street (hwy 34) main was just shy of 1/2 mile long, flip a U and cruise back. two filling stations and church parking lot if you were low on fuel. Friday game nights were the best, bumper to bumper till 1:am. If you got out of rotation to hit piss road, it was hard to get back in. Eventualy a race or two would get worked up out on cemetary road. Remember when you could drive at 14 and by beer at 18? City Marshall rules- no smoking tires in city limits, littering (beer cans), impeeding traffic, open headers. If you were caught drunk (not heavily) you were told to go home. Under 18 you had to poor it out at the curb. I think i violated all of them, got three tickets in one night and my uncle was the Marshall.

25. Mid to late 70's -Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach.

26. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

THE place to cruise on the SF Peninsula in the '80s was El Camino Real in San Mateo, Ca. between 3rd Ave. and Hillsdale Blvd.

Then they put up "No Cruising Zone" signs and we moved further south to Belmont. Wasn't the same.

27. Van Nuys Blvd baby! Sunny So. Cal. The '64 Olds 442 convert (wish I still had it, only about 200 or so produced)ran 13.20's/105mph @ LACR in the high dessert and 12.80's/108mph at Bakersfield in the mid 80's, 425 power. The '72 wagon ran 12.40's/108+ @ LACR, and a best 11.86/116mph at Fremonts last drag race with a 355 & 5.14's IMAG1403.jpg

IMAG1421.jpg The wagon also ended up in Car Craft Feb '89 as well as Drag Racing Mag. in 1990. I gave the wagon to my great friend Kevin Studaker @ Total Seal Piston Rings who is bringing it back to life.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  28. Cruised Main St. in my home town of Lebanon MO but we usually went down 66 about 55 miles to Springfield MO to Fisher's Drive Inn at Sunshine & Glenstone. We could open the lake pipes in Springfield. The Lebanon cops frowned on that. I had a Studebaker Golden Hawk then a '55 Chevy with a "full race" Montgomery Ward cam & 3 two barrels, also from Montgomery Wards. I did put an 097 Duntov in the 265 but it was way too much cam so put the Monkey Ward one back in....Yep, those were the days..1956-1959

29. Mickey One

Mickey One

Central Ave.Yonkers to White Plains,NY.I was wondering when someone would get to that road.When were you there,Spiderdeville?

30. 210eddiep

210eddiep

Bandera, Texas, Main street. Late 60's early 70's. I still do ever blue moon or so. Not much has changed there. Instead of one red light now, there's three or four.

I had dark blue '58 chevy four door hard top. Anybody remember it? LOL