Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935-1936 Ford pickup tech for the masses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 18, 2008.

1. 2loud2old

2loud2old

Old post, very helpful. Thank you!

2. It's an old thread, but this information is timeless. Thanks to all.

---

If anyone knows a source, I need:
    a - inner windsheild garnish to cover the cab posts
    b - inner fenders. I still have the upper rim, but the centers were cut out for old headers at one time.

Best wishes from San Diego
    [email protected]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  3. I found some inner fender panels for a 1936 1 1/2 ton truck. Can anyone tell me the difference in the inner fenders between the truck and the pickup?

I count the same number of fender holes on both: 7

My thought is that the truck panels are taller, and maybe I can chop out some metal and modify them to fit in my pickup.

4. rustymetal

rustymetal

the 1 1/2 are taller a lot of guys cut them down.
    try running a ad on the ford barn for the inside windshild post garnish 35 36 the same
    later

5. mow too much

mow too much

I know they are taller but I'm not sure if the shape of the fender is the same.......it should be because the hoods are the same.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  6. Murch

Murch

I don't know if this is the right spot to ask or maybe I missed it somewhere, but will 35 front passenger car fenders fit on a 35 pickup? I have been looking at a few 35 pickup projects and all are missing the front fenders, and I haven't found anyone that repops steel fenders for 35 pickups, plenty of glass ones, but no steel, thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Not without significant cowl modification.

8. You are not gonna find anyone repopiping fenders for this truck. Fronts sometime come up on eBay but you rarely see rears for sale.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Felix 40

Felix 40
    from Wisconsin

If you need fenders, Keep your eyes peeled for old Homemade Trailers.

10. Felix 40

Felix 40
    from Wisconsin

forgot to upload pic

Attached Files:

11. Murch

Murch

Thanks for the replies, I figured that was the case, but you never know, still aways away from buying one, but I like to gather info whenever I can, thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. tnich123

tnich123

Who reproduces the best center hood hindge for the 35/36 truck hood? I bought one from a supplier but it just doesnt work the way I it should.

13. cball

cball

Murch, if you need a set of front fenders I have a set of steel from my 37, PM me if you are interested

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Good read roothawg

15. tnich123 - Go to the 35-36 Ford Pickup social site and post your question there or do a search on that site for the question.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=26

There are several posts on hood hinges on the site.

16. I have found that many parts I order specifically for a 1935-36 pickup don't fit. I'm getting the feeling that many companies exaggerate the compatibility of generic parts.

I bought an electric wiper motor from MAC for a 36 pickup. It's beautiful but it doesn't fit in the available space. I splurged to buy front and back fender braces from Drake that were supposed to be exact copies. They are so far off, they must be for some other kind of car. Expensive additions to my scrap metal pile. It happens often.

PS, my Drake front winshield crank was a nice copy, but they threw in a different knob from the one I requested. I called back and they replaced the knob with the correct one.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    IdahoSpud likes this.
  17. My first car was a 36 1/2 ton. Had a 48 Merc flathead, 39 ford gearbox and rearend and 40 Ford brakes. I found it beside a house buried up to it's axles in mud in San Diego around 1961. Told my Uncle about it and he bought it for $75 and went completely through it. Sold it to me when I turned 15 for $250. It was painted red oxide primer. Turns out it had been a push car in Balboa stadium when they ran jalopies. Sold it to a Deputy Sheriff in 1964 for $750. By then my Dad and Uncle had painted it metallic green.

A few weeks ago I stumbled on a 36 1/2 ton in red oxide primer color with a 327, a Muncie close ratio and a 12 bolt posi. Didn't think I could even get in one any more but managed to and actually drove it. Fell in love and today at 1:30 PM PSDT I became it's owner.

Reliving my wasted youth.

Attached Files:

18. pvcerod

pvcerod
    from Australia

Hi tnich123....I had trouble getting one too, so I ended up using S/S Piano Hinge.....you just have to make it fit on the ends as the centre pin is a little smaller than the hinge holders at the Cowl & Radiator end. ;)

19. mow too much

mow too much

Glad you still fit Ramjet:), it seems to be an on going problem I have the older I get.:eek:

20. Who makes a nice quality, nice fitting fiberglass or metal single panel hood like the one shown on Ramjet's truck?

I would like something temporary as I restore my original 4-piece hood, which I may or may not ever finish. I want something affordable that I can latch down solid for "freeway speeds" (ahem). For functionality, modification (my grill was chopped 2") and simplicity, a nice piece of fiberglass with dzus clips might be a way to go.

21. Yea it takes a little effort. Figured the clutch would be the issue but was able to handle it.Helps that it still has the stock seat. Won't be making in any real long distance runs in it and if the shifting gets to be too much I'll stick a auto in it.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

That is nice. Good score.

23. bobfrev

bobfrev

Great post, not only on the differences but what will work between years

24. tnich123

tnich123

Tell me more about the piano hinge. They reproduce the rods for the side hinges. I am think if I find a piano hinge large enough to use that stock rod problem solved.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, I'd like to know more particulars on the piano hinge thing. I thought of doing just that , but dismissed the idea because it would position the two halves of the hood top too close together.

26. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I've heard the hinge you can get for around 50 bucks on Epay don't fit, or work correctly? Also, Bob Drake's polished SS hinge looks to be awesome, but it's $125. The piano hinge route would not look factory with all those piano hinge knuckles hanging out for all to see. I'll get the Drake one is I have to, but I really just want a painted, lower grade steel, stock style hinge.

27. if ayone needs this book, I have an extra, $75.00 shipped. PM me.

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

That book is awesome. Dad bought one last year.

29. Need some help with door hinges

Does anyone have some info to help on this thread ?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=856856

30. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I believe they were mounted to the body with countersunk slotted machine screws that were fully threaded, screwed into nuts behind the door jamb. If they are not original screws, they may not be fully threaded, or the heads may be too small to pull tight against the hinge before the threads bottom out, or if the hinge holes have wallowed out they may need some shims to pull them tight.

Those are the only reasons that I can think why the hinge screws would be tight and the hinge still loose.