Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hardscrabble Hop-Up; A 1940's Style 'T' RPU build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gwhite, Jul 21, 2013.

1. MrModelT

MrModelT

I like what a see here Gary. This car will just be....right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Curious to see what your final adjustments are on the headlights, but what about moving the headlights inboard a bit, put the bulbs right over the frame rails?

[​IMG]

Just a thought :)

2. jw johnston

jw johnston

Been looking forward to this truck. I'm also building a 27 rpu on a 28a frame with a banger that's getting twin carbs, a Leon duray head and a lightened flywheel with v8 clutch. I haven't decided what era I will be going with mine. The bed has been previously shortend. That an the dual carbs kind of throw off the early thirties build I had in mind. But I will be running 21s , mechanical brakes, t spring on the rear and just reversing the eyes up front.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Awesome build and one of my favorite threads.

My son and I just started on our A chassis tear down yesterday and plan on building up a prewar style jalopy with a 27t roadster/rpu or A roadster body.

4. Jalopy Banger

Jalopy Banger
    from Sweden

Gwhite, a like Your car a lot!! It will be awesome. The autolite panel is great.

5. Man, thanks Clayton...your car has been a huge influence, that really means alot! I do like the lights centered on the rails...need to mock it up & see if I can still tuck them in them in close enough to the shell - the RPU is quite a bit longer than a runabout, so I want to be careful not to accentuate the length too much & blow the proportions.

Those sound like amazing projects! Can't wait to see if them!

6. Sweet! Should be fun figuring out how to make that A radiator fit under the T shell.

7. Great project Gary!!! And the RPU pictured above is one of my favorites... except for the fact that it's fuel system was clearly an early design study for the PINTO :eek::D!

8. MrModelT

MrModelT

I'm honored Gary. I have likewise enjoyed you other builds, your knowledge of the early stuff and your love of it.

proportions are the hardest....and the most important detail. Here is the formula I have always found to work best and used on my T:

[​IMG]

My T...
    [​IMG]

The "Becker Special"..

[​IMG]

9. MrModelT

MrModelT

I also like to keep the lights low, with the bulbs just bellow the horizontal center line of the radiator.

Also, what period are you focusing on?

Bigcheese327 and I tried to break down the different styles into eras....

Speedster Era: 1915-'25

Gow-Job Era: 1925-'33

Supe-Job Era: 1934-'38

Hot Iron Era: 1938-'42

Hot Rod Era: 1946-'62 (and to present)

10. Will follow this build, love T-RPU's. Here mine a while ago. JW
    [​IMG]

11. Subscribed, like the theme of this build, keep us posted.

12. Damn Damn Damn......so very cool! I like where this is going.

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I really like your build. And this photo of yours gets my "Hot Rod Calendar" photo of the month vote. Gary

[​IMG]

14. Thanks for the gracious words fellas!

Next step - suspension & steering. Complete front axle (hub to hub) out of a 33-34 Ford. Will most likely end up going with a reverse eye '32-34 front spring with a few leaves removed. Rear axle will be a stock A unit (3.54 gears) with a 26-27 T 8 leaf spring (might remove a leaf or two). Brakes - mechanical; just the way God & Henry Ford intended :)

Did some work on my front drums - they were turned for cleanup (still some meat on the bone) but the outside was pretty rusty & showed scattered pitting. Running without fenders (and stock '35 wires) the outer rim of the drums will be readily seen, so I came up with a solution to make them look fresh again.

After extensive wire wheeling, I painted them with a medium coat of Duplicolor 500* engine primer. Primer was followed by like brand semi-gloss black. Once sufficiently dried and heat cured, the drums were lightly sanded back until the surface was reasonably smooth. A little cast surface texture was provided by a very light dusting of Krylon sandstone textured paint, followed by two light coats of Duplicolor 500* semi-gloss. Between the light filling provided by the paint and a little 'cast' texture added - you'd be hard pressed to find the pitting. Temperature gun showed no significant decrease in heat dissipation (tried a few 200-220* cycles in the oven).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. I like it ! well thought out ~ keep the updates coming...

16. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Great project.

I've been thinking of doing something similar since I have a complete '29 A frame, A-banger, and a T radiator taking up space in the garage. After I get my post-war Phaeton done, I really want to do a pre-war roadster or RPU.

Subscribed with baited-breath...

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Krylon sandstone textured paint............that sounds like something I need to experiment with. Thanks. Bob

18. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

Subscribed. Very cool indeed!

19. Carter

Carter

Way cool, glad to see this build thread get started. It's about time!

20. Good stuff! My 'era' is 1945/early 1946 - seems like beginning in late '46 dropped axles, v8's, juice brakes, and aircraft style shocks took over. In my mind's eye, this RPU will represent a late 30's build kept going (and adapted) for transportation during the war (early 40's plugs, '40 steering wheel, 16" wires, etc.).

21. I have a soft spot for period trinkets. It's a real temptation to just go nuts with the stuff - but I try to balance that with a sense of the "Texas utilitarianism" so prevalent during the dust bowl/depression/war years. For the most part, modesty & restraint will rule the day on this build.

That being said, I'd really like to use this 'patriotic' pinback in my shift knob, but fear it may be overkill as I already have a few period accessories on the car. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

22. jim galli

jim galli

Make a terrific "necker's knob" on the steering wheel! I doubt I could restrain myself. It's the little details that people see and remember.

23. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I'm like you and dig all of that kind of stuff. I too have a hard time keeping myself from using every little period thing that I find on one car. But....I think that a few things on a build like this (especially since you are going for a car that was initially fabbed up in the depression years) can go a long way. On the other hand, they can be the thing that makes the car what it is. That being said, I'd use it as a spinner knob or in a shift knob. It's a cool piece. Maybe restrain yourself from here on out!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  24. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

That is about what I was thinking. I would date your RPU as Supe-job era car....built between 1935 and 1939, with a few improvments and additions made during and imediately after the war. The 16" wheels were popular pre-war.

Have you thought about running 17" or 18" wires? 18" wires would look GREAT on that truck.

26. Funny you should mention 18's...that was my original intent, may have to look into getting a set :)

27. jw johnston

jw johnston

Those sound like amazing projects! Can't wait to see if them![/QUOTE]

[​IMG]. Having trouble figuring out how to post photos on here. But here is my rpu mocked up with 21s. I dig all of your little accessories especially the shift knob.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  28. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Your vintage motor is a thing of simplistic beauty! Really looking nice!

Mike

29. MrModelT

MrModelT

I was thinking that the 18" wires might look better proportionally with the way your building it...and fit that 1935 to '39 period.

30. This totally needs a build thread! Sweet!!