Register now to get rid of these ads!

frame advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wv 39, Jul 25, 2013.

1. wv 39

wv 39

I'm looking at a 35 Hudson coupe body, no frame. Does anyone out there know a frame that would work for this car? How about a 35-40 Ford? Thanks for any advice.

2. bgaro

bgaro

no real experience, but i think that's the direction i'd take. you gonna run fenders?

3. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

yOU could even use an early chevy/GM anything. Because the way the the 35 Hudson Radiator leans back, Id use a Model A front crossmemeber/frontend though, its less "clumpy".

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Good one, MATA.
    I agree, Avoid the Clump!

5. An S10 frame is a direct bolt in. :D

6. .

Here is a '34 Hudson I had a while back. It retained the stock frame but was heavily modified.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm thinking your on track with a '35-'40 Ford frame. It seems about the right dimensions and wheelbase.

7. wv 39

wv 39

What year S10 frame will fit?

8. He's busting balls but I hear the Chevy tracker is a straight tube frame ,,,

That's Hudson 5 Wnd is pretty cool.
    Cleaner lines than a 34 ford 5 wnd.

9. RFOSTER

RFOSTER

Why not find one with an original frame?? Then you have no problem!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

If you're going to morph in the Model A parts anyway, I'm wondering if it might be less work in the end to just scratch build the frame to fit your car from square one and make it fit some of the aftermarket parts readily available.

11. wv 39

wv 39

Good luck finding an original frame. and I wish I had the skills to scratch build a frame.

12. wv 39

wv 39

I love the lines and the suicide doors.

13. Reworking a frame from something else takes the same skills as scratch building a new one
    I find building the frame just about the easiest part of building a car. Measure twice cut once, weld it together.
    I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging, but the first vehicle I built (48 Stude pick-up) needed a frame. I laid out all the parts I wanted to use, got a cheap drafting set, did a great deal of measuring and drew it up in 3 views. At that time, I didn't have a band saw to cut the tubing, so I did all the cutting with a hack saw, no wire feed welder, so it was welded with a Lincoln 225 stick welder. After I had the truck built, it ran down the road straight. What more do you want?
    A race car chassis might be a different story, but if your looking at a Model A frame, it isn't going to be a race car. LOL

14. Start with some 2x12 lumber to get an idea.
    You can cut almost 8" rear sweep and notch and a nice front sweep into it.

Wesscot has dimensions for a 34 ford and I'd bet that would be pretty close.