Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Kurtisoffy1201

Kurtisoffy1201

image.jpg

This is the other midget that came from hig , I would like to know the history and who built the chassis ? The rice car has a cosworth in it now.

2. Kurtisoffy1201

Kurtisoffy1201

image.jpg

More pictures

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  3. wicarnut

wicarnut

Att a few pics of my restoration project. Car was built in 48 by my Dad, and it ran in Wi. till 74. Have car roughed in, I'm putting it back to early 50's configuration. Have V-8 60, Tomshe gearbox and most of parts needed, all original parts to the car. Paint in pic is from 74, it had a Chev 2 at that time..Will post more pics when I go back to work on it and have progress to show. My goal is restore as it ran, although I do appreciate the car jewelery that is very popular today. John

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  4. gearguy

gearguy

We bought a Model A rear end housing from John Kompa Sr. in 1973 for our Hamburger-Chevy II after the cast aluminum Tomsche "pumpkin" exploded into a zillion pieces. Your car's chassis looks very much like a Hamburger; they had frame tubes that came out parallel from the firewall rather than tapering in like a Kurtis. Gave a bit more room for mounting V-8s. IIRC the Kompas ran an Olds V-8 before the Chevy II. PM me if you would like some photos of the old Hamburger.

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Gearguy, Its possible that the car has Otto Hamburger influnece, as my Dad was friends w/ Otto Hambrger and Fred Tomshe. When I was small, we always went by Tomshe to get a race report from him, also went to Otto's for machine work and BS sessions. The correct order of engine change are V-8 60, Studebaker 6, 215 alum Buick, Chev2. I wondered what happened to orig rear end, Had this stuff in storage for 25 years, had to hunt up a non quick change to go w/ Tomshe gearbox. My Dad, in fact built this car , frame tubing came from Tomshe, body stampings from Kurtis, Ford parts from Granetelli, my Dad welded the KK stampings together and put all the louvers in, still have the louver dies. I know Otto machined the rear end pieces, front hubs and other parts. This information came from my Dad and my Uncle Chester who drove the car 52-58 before their passing. Thanks for your input. John

6. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The event was well organized, well attended with 76 cars on the lineup board for Saturday. Unfortunately the rain early Saturday created problems getting the track runnable and although they got the entire program in, the track was compromised.

Sunday the track had been worked over and looked good until the intermittent very light rain created a stop the action situation after only a couple heats had been run.

All in all, with the luncheon, Hall of fame inductions, Saturday running, Sunday lunch and museum touring I think we all had a good time.

Attached are photos of a neat Ford Ferguson powered mdiget.

Attached Files:

7. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Nine days without a post by anyone? What's going on?

Hope I haven't posted this before. Frankie Brisko and his 5 main bearing midget engine, hemi head with hydraulically operated valves, no camshafts. Note the front driven hydraulic pump and lines to each valve operating unit and the two Lenkert side draft carburettors.

This engine was running pre-war in one of Franks two midgets and driven on some occasions by Emil Andres in the Chicago area.

It was never fully developed.

Attached Files:

8. racer76

racer76

9. thebikeguy

thebikeguy
    from australia

Hello

I have posted elsewhere on the HAMB for info on a Chevy II engine that we are building for a vintage midget and gatherd some good info there from knowledgable types so my next port was to come here where I am certain to find people familliar with the mods to Chevy II engines for speedway purposes.
    I am looking for a set of solid roller lifters for a 153 Chevy II
    Can anyone help at all??

10. the shadow

the shadow

Hey guys I need some buying advice, I am looking to purchase a video as a gift for my uncle. he grew up racing with his brother & father running a midget & later crewed for some other midget & sprint car guys as well as stock cars etc. anyway I see there are a few choices of vintage video tapes out there with old footage on them. I want to know if any of you can steer me in the right direction as to which one has the most footage from the PA area. I am hoping he will see someone he ran with or a race he remembers being at etc. he went to and ran at tracks like langhorne,hatfield,sanatoga,reading,trenton etc. I just don't want to buy a dvd and find out it's all mid ohio footage lol.
    any recommendations would be appreciated.

paul

11. TommyA19

TommyA19

12. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

shadow, Also Lew Boyd.....at....coastal181.. has lots of what your looking for. Denny Z.

13. thebikeguy

thebikeguy
    from australia

Did anyone have a think on the roller lifters for the 153 Chevy II midget engine ??

14. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

I think the v/8 s are the same ran a chev II years ago my 2 cents:rolleyes:

15. baldtireman

baldtireman

Call Comp Cams.......:D

16. sideways27

sideways27

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I feel I must do this for all racers and gear heads.
    I let Fox Sports know my opinion regarding the removal of SPEED and replacing it with Fox Sports1 which is a copy cat of ESPN. I know all of you watched SPEED and you need to let both Fox Sports and your Provider know about this dumb decision. Please join me and unite to get SPEED replaced for all of us racers and hot roders. I have also let all my friends, racers and people I do business with know what we think of this poor decision. If you all do this we can make this happen.
    Thank You
    Sideways27
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]-->

17. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

NOS Riverside De Luxe 12" Midget tires - Anyone seen these before? They appear to be Prewar - Maybe for Asphalt or Board track cars? [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  18. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    Here are a couple pictures of the tires

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  19. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Still learning on posting pictures guys....sorry

20. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

I'd say there is a 90% chance the Ward'sRiverside Deluxe 12" racing tires came from our stash of garages full of them, all NOS, back in the day.
    Here is the "story" on those.

My Dad, Joe Gertler. made his full time living, building all types of sports racing, midgets, sprints and other racing cars, in his Raceway Garage shop, from 1937-1973 (when we moved to larger quarters on Eastern Long Island (1973-1993) and started back doing restorations of them in the 70s and 80s.

Back in the day, My Dad was on the board of one of the popular NY area racing clubs and at that time, was working with famed driver Tony Bonadies. They were so busy building, that at ONE point, they even had shifts of workers, going 24 hours a day, for a period! Those " MONKEY WARDS" tires were marketed and distributed, at the time by Montgomery Ward. Dad & Tony got the optimisitic plan to buy up all the tires and be the only souorce. They called every Montgomery Ward in the phone books in various cities, cut a wholesale deal, and had them all shipped in via Railway Express. to the shop in the Bronx. They bought something like 800 of them. SHORTLY, thereafter:eek: Other Eastern midget racing Clubs started running 13" racing tires! and the racing board voted to move on up to those too. So they found themselves with deteriorating wooden storage garages filled with these tires, up to the ceiling! By the early 60's, Dad needed the room and they were, at THAT time. "Obsolete" rather than "vintage. so he got them all out, trucked them over to his friend Carl Evers Seaplane base in the Bronx, where they were used as dock and boat bumpers. Along came the 70s, and now there were suddenly Old-timers vintage racing clubs and meets and restorations. Dad went back to the seaplane base, where there were STILL piles of his Montgomery Wards Riverside racing tires all over the place, still NOS, and took back as many as he could find that still were not ruined by sun & water. Then we started selling them at Hershey and to all the midget restorers that contacted us, while we did or Second stint/period, (1972-1990) restoring another 38 race cars :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  21. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Great story this is what makes the HAMB.

22. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Here is a couple picks from The hall of fame at Grundy County Speedway 8/31/2013. Was running my midget the same day. So I just did a drive by & took a couple picks. Thought I would post them. Hope you guys like them. Been very busy lately need to do some serious reading to catch up!

Attached Files:

23. ...thanks for the pics......car is looking great....a credit to you sir....:)

24. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Thank you for the complement!

25. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Hey!!!
    Me and my brother checked it out with McClean at Grundy, and we certainly approve!! It was great seeing it in those colors for the first time since the end of 76.. We thought one of us may still have the air scoop that we ran at Trenton and IRP(before usac frowned on it), but it hasnt turned up. Nice job..

26. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Here's the #28 at the EMMR Latimore Valley track in Pennsylvania two weeks earlier.

No, with slicks it didn't run.

. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Attached Files:

27. sprintcar4j

sprintcar4j
    from New Jersey

I am looking for this car. It was my Dads car.. He sold it in 1974 to a guy from long Island that was going to restore it and put it in a museum. I checked with Marty Himes and he doesn't have the car. The only thing I remember about the buyer is he had a dog named Parnelli. Any info please email me at [email protected] Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  28. DWX9929

DWX9929

Hello all. After a long time lurking, I finally registered. I need help finding info on a midget I have acquired. It came with no information or history. The craftsmanship and construction of the body are similar to what I believe to be aircraft style. Looks too good to be simply homemade. Note the vents on the bottom of the tail. Unfortunately I don't have the hood, side panels or nose.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      143.5 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      145 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      187.9 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      188.6 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      168.2 KB
      Views:
    • 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      168.9 KB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      157.4 KB
      Views:
    • 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      141 KB
      Views:
    • 025.JPG
      025.JPG
      File size:
      143.7 KB
      Views:
    • 029.JPG
      029.JPG
      File size:
      171.4 KB
      Views:
  29. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Thanks Jim. It really means a lot to me. To hear you liked the badger. I tried to keep it as original as possible. Plus make it race ready at the same time. Thanks again, Jim!
    Tom.

30. the shadow

the shadow

can anyone provide me with more info or pics of a manufactured midget chassis that is made by Belmont. I want to know when and were it was made + when it was in production.
    thanks,
    Paul