Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best reaction you have gotten from people?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 8, 2011.

1. I'm not out there just to be noticed either, but it shocks me how many people just don't notice what is going on around them. One of the side-effects of my career (former law enforcement officer) is that you can't NOT see things. Drives my brother-in-law crazy. I spot more stuff while driving than he can as a passenger...and no, I'm not distracted, just more attentive.

2. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Haha that remind me of when I was a kid. My dad would drop me and my sister of at school in his hot rod and do a burn out when he left.. All my friends would ask me about the car and I would feel so cool B)

3. MRK

MRK

As I was cruisin' through the market parking lot the other day trying to find a parking spot, this old broad smiles at me and asks me what year it was. I knew she was asking about my Ranchero but I couldn't resist. I told her it was 2013!

4. jimvette59

jimvette59

I had two young boys look at my spoked wheels on my 34 and say "Those are real spoked hubcaps".

5. Being on a cruise and stopping at a tourist attraction, and being surrounded by two carloads of oriental tourists taking pics of my '47.... LOL. Pics of the car by itself, pics of them posing next to it, pics of some taking pics of it.... LOLOL...

6. Keep

Keep

I get this as well and I get a kick out of it every time. The looks the kids get when you let them sit in the drivers seat to have their pic taken is great!

I guess they just don't see many hotrods over there.

7. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Well in 1968 we (new wife, best friend & I) were towing my hotrod on an open trailer to Bristol Tennesse for the AHRA nationals. Suddenly out of the blue comes one of tennesse's finest and he pulls us over. Walks back and says, very seriously, "follow me"! So I did, I forgot to mention it's about 3:00 AM. We followed to the next exit and pulled into a truck stop, he and his partner get out and crawl all over my car. Taking pictures, the whole deal! they say we figured you were tired needed some coffee and we wanted to take pictures of your vette....I was 22!

Attached Files:

8. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I get guys coming over while I'm getting gas and they begin asking technical questions about hotrods!

9. A really good reaction is when they start talking cash! :D HRP

10. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

Question: "what year's your MG" Answer: "I don't own a MG" (my car is a Triumph TR3) Usually the end of that conversation as they clearly don't know the difference. I do get a lot of "I like your car" and "Cool ride" and a lot of pointing and looking all the way around.
    Regards
    Greg Hornbostel

11. That's funny! aha

12. Gaw! I have the same prob except I'm not married. But all my male friends "Don't Get It" when I talk about cars. And I'm a girl! Guess I'm in the wrong town. loL!

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get a compliment, on my '60 Falcon, at every third stoplight or stop sign.

14. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

I NEED to get my 57 Super back on the road ASAP!!!!!!

15. bmw2002e3

bmw2002e3

I really thought I posted this reply, checked in my account and it appears not to be there, so maybe I didn't.

Driving my 1949 Dodge special deluxe in Calgary, I came to a red light. There was a brand new Maserati Convertable next to me on the left in the left turning lane, left of him was an excited pedestrian waving and yelling

"NICE CAR, NICE CAR"

the guy in the Maserati kind of restrained and a little annoyed says
    "thanks"

Pedestrian: "NOT YOU!"

Me: "Thanks!!"

Maserati guy looks at me with a scowl.

Me.. Wild giggle.

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Since getting my Falcon project on the road, I've enjoyed several reactions to a BBC in a '63 Falcon. But the best was a couple weeks ago when two guys walked up and one smiled and thanked me for putting a Chevy in a Falcon. Then his buddy walked over and said, "I'm not gonna shake your hand for ruining a nice old Falcon!"
    Diehard Ford guy. I loved it!

17. Please forgive the OT subject, but it IS a cool car... I have a Blues Brothers act with an 8 pc. band and we have a lot of fun with it, but it all started because I bought a 74 Dodge Monaco and converted it into the Bluesmobile; flat paint, dirty, scraps & cigarette butts littering the dash... One day after a parade I was walking back up to the car to go home and a young couple was photographing their son in front of the car. I walk up and greet them and they immediately ask if I mind them taking photos. "Absolutely no problem!" I say. They explain that their son is autistic, but for some reason, he LOVES the Blues Brothers movie and he'll come to life and sing and dance and smile the whole time the movie is on. I offer to let him sit IN the car for a few more photos and ask if I can pick him up and put him in the car. (But I had just fabricated the big speaker for the roof and had to tie bullrope around the roof & tops of the doors to attach it to the roof, so I couldn't just open the doors normally). I put my hands under his arms to lift him into the car and he instinctively "walks" up the door with his shoes and into the window. I set him in the car and he lights up like the sun. His parents begin to apologize profusely for him marking up and possibly scratching my doors, but thanking me for making the boy SO happy, and as I turn around they have tears in their eyes... (I can't tell this story in person because I get a little lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.... from the onions... or the nitro fumes... or...)

My other OT car is a 1971 Plymouth Road Runner and at Dukesfest a few years back, I got to give Catherine "Daisy Duke" Bach a ride to the show in my car. She just kept repeating "I LOVE this car! Makes me miss the one that I had on the show!!!" When I asked if she liked the Jeep or the Road Runner better, she said "Oh, HANDS DOWN I liked the Road Runner better! I LOVED that car!!!"

My 49 Dodge truck is still under construction, so I'm a little short on stories about that thing! (Other than "What color are you going to paint it?" or "It's cool that it already had the doors painted with the logos on it!" "And they look COOL. You're not going to paint OVER them are you!?!?!")

18. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

I had an employee at McDonalds leaning out of the drive thru window taking pics of my car with his cell phone. That made 10 years worth of work totally worth it.

19. bab59

bab59

With this thing. Even the kids have goofy reactions. Crowd Pleaser!
    but it has to go ebay Item 221266985895 Check out the work!
    [​IMG]

20. dan31

dan31

21. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

When did this become a Clown Car forum?

22. powrshftr

powrshftr

Best one I ever had was when two guys in a late model Dodge truck refused to believe my car had a 4-speed in it after I left on them pretty hard from a light....the passenger said:" how the f**k are you shifting that thing so fast!?!?!?"
    That made my day!:)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. I was driving down the road and saw this Sidekick cut across the grass median and pulled up next to me while driving. It was a older copule and the wife yelled out the window can I take a picture of your car. I said yeah no problem. They snapped a few pics and kept giving me thumbs up then made another u-turn in the median and kept going.

I was at a cruise-in the other night and I guy came up to me asking what I had under the hood. I popped the hood and showed him the flat 6. He explained to me that he has a 47 four door sedan like mine that he wanted to sell. He said it was a complete car but he had never heard it run. I asked if he wanted to hear mine and he said sure. When I sat in the car to trun it over he started to look at the airbrush work on the dash. I pushed the starter button and he looked really confused and said "Is it on?!" I laughed and said yeah. He said "No wonder gangsters would drive these cars back in the day. You cant hear them running. You can do a drive by and they wouldnt hear you coming."

24. We were talking to at elderly gent at the recent Spring Water Festival and he was asking my wife about her wagon.

The conversation really took a interesting turn when she was showing him the build album and he suddenly remembered the names associated with the wagon.

It seems that this fellow had worked with Brenda's dad at the Owens Corning Fiberglass plant and was the guy that Brenda's dad, Clyde had offered to sell him the wagon.

The story goes that when Brenda's Grandmother bought a new VW van to deliver flowers she gave it to Clyde to use it for a fishing car/truck,,and he used it and abused it until he bought a truck.

He came in the Flower Shop after work one day and announced that he had a man coming by the shop to buy the old wagon.

Brenda was working for her grandmother and overheard the conversation and told her dad if he was going to sell the car she/we would buy it.

Clyde told her if she wanted the car she could have it,they walked out to the car,took the title out of the glove compartment and signed it over the her.

Clyde tried to call the man and explain what had happened but he wasn't at home,no such a thing as cell phones at that time.

We never thought about who the man was,but 32 years later here he is,,"Red",,although he is white headed now and 88 years old,,amazing what we didn't know that Clyde and Red took turns driving to work,,they even went fishing together in the wagon.

BTW,I ask him if he remembered what Clyde had offered to sell him the car for..he remembered like it was yesterday,,400 bucks! :) HRP

25. kngfisher

kngfisher
    from Virginia

Had car parked infront of my house and watched as an old man passed walking a dog. Thought nothing of it until he returned With the rest of the family of including the grandkids to stop and pose and take pictures in front of the car.

26. Rockettruck

Rockettruck

Back in the mid '80s, my family and I drove from Indy to Lansing MI in my '59 Olds for a car event. While we were there we stopped at a nice restaurant for supper, parking next to a beautiful, new Ford 4 x 4 Crew Cab. When we came out of the restaurant, the owner of the 4 x 4 was standing in front of his truck with the hood up, obviously in distress...

It turns out his battery had died and he needed a jump start. Can you picture my '59 Olds jump starting this brand new Ford pickup? Well, everything went fine and before we parted company, he reached into his truck and pulled out a nice new ball cap with "Oldsmobile" embroidered on the front, which he gave me in appreciation!

In helping someone out, I ended up with a nice souvenir that to this day brings back great memories for me and my family...

27. mopar210

mopar210

got a new one about 2 weeks ago . a guy walks up to me at a local cruise in (now he has a couple of nice pieces , and has been doing this for a long time ) and says to me - are you gonna leave the front end up like that ? do you have air bags or something ? what do they call that ? he may not talk to me again , as he finished the last question , I gave quite a smart ass smirk , and questioned how much of hot rodding history he was familiar with , probably didn't help that about 6 other folks joined in with same smart ass smirk , then a chorus of chuckles after my response . but being somewhat of a gentleman and mostly a smart ass prick , I did explain the style , and quick history on straight axles , altered wheelbases and early funny cars , all was good in the universe.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      144.7 KB
      Views:
    • 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      149.7 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      141.5 KB
      Views:
  28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats gotta be one of the coolest stories on this thread. Brought back memories of my dad and his co workers sharing a 90 mile drive to work each day to a radar site near Devils Tower in Wyoming (We lived in Spearfish S.D.) back in the '60s. One guy, Ron, had a new '64 Pontiac Grand Prix with the eight lug wheels, 389 & four speed. My dad said Ron would set that thing on 100 mph and just roll. Quite a bit faster than our '62 VW bus. lol

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  29. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Like some of the guys here, I don't notice every thumbs up because I'm trying to drive. but my wife sees them and informs me of all the people that are checking out the truck while I'm driving. One afternoon, I had my oldest daughter with me and while we were driving, she just pointed to the left... There was a guy with his cell phone hanging out the window trying to get pictures of my truck.

30. RODDER 25

RODDER 25

I go to a lot of cruises with my t-bucket and a lot of non car people have said to me " Nice dune buggy " One time a bunch of really young kids walking by said " Wow, look at the big tires on that golf cart."