Register now to get rid of these ads!

Diesel oil in your old car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Safari, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Ole don

Ole don

I have seen two guys above say that Rotella has cut back zinc in their oil. Maybe they have, but I called the company lab. The guy said as long as there are diesel powered trucks on the road, Rotella will never go below 1000 PPM zinc. Funny thing is, thats the magic number for older gas engines with a hot aftermarket cam and flat tappet lifters. Brad Penn sure sounds like a good deal, but try to find a quart of it at a truck stop along I 80 in the middle of Wyoming! Rotella is available at every Wal Mart and every truck stop in the US and Australia. And when you use it, you dont need expensive additives. Keep it Simple Stupid. KISS!

2. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

15-40 is good but be careful not to run high detergent oil in an old engine. especially one that hasn't been pulled and rebuilt .could cause excessive leakage and engine burnout

3. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

4. I was going to add, that with the huge world wide intrest in old cars, you would think the oil companies, or aftermarket would cater to this. As to the search function, its always worked fine for me.

5. Truckedup

Truckedup

How do you know 1000 ppm zinc enough for a hot flat tappet cam? Zinc gets used up between oil changes? I have been told/seen in print by the experts, 1800,1400,1200, ZDDP is old school,new synthetics have better additives,and all sorts of stuff.

6. no55mad

no55mad

7. I also do this

8. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

What he said ...tractor supply sells plenty of it works great

9. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

i run valvoline 20 50 racing oil and half a bottle of comp cams break in additive,,,,454 chevy runns high tens over 300 runs no oil related problems,,,although i change the oil and cut the filter every 30 runs,,,costly but effective

10. Ralph

Ralph

For the once a year I change my oil in my SBC powered hot rod I decided to use Joe Gibbs hot Rod oil. That way I don't have to worry, for an extra 20-25 bucks a year.
    Ralph

11. boucher racing

boucher racing
    from nashville

I too run Rotella T 10w30 in my both my SBC's and my turbocharged inline 250.

I buy it by the gallon at O'Reillys for around $17. Good stuff

12. I know it's hard to believe for all the people who hang around here. But I think deep down we realize that the "old car hobby" accounts for probably less than 1% of all motor oil sales. It's no wonder that most of the major refiners don't bother to cater to us. Fortunately there seems to be some specialty oil and additive suppliers that find us worth their time and effort. :cool:

13. $13.99 per gal right now at the Advance Auto Parts store I work at.

14. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh, I usually get lots of hits ok...just that they usually dont have much of anything to do with what I searched for...:rolleyes:

16. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

We have beat this topic to death...many times.
    Here is my take on oil..
    If delo , rotela , or any other brand of diesel spec oil is good enough to protect a 24 to 1 compression engine hauling 80k lbs down the highway at 70 mph for 1/2 a million miles ...... then it is more than good enough for what I ( we ) do with our engines..
    First choice..delo 400 le.
    I really prefer valvoline 15/40 all fleet. ..but its not as readily available as the delo..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. jkeesey

jkeesey

From what Ive read the Diesel oils are also starting to lesson or eliminate their zddp. I use Brad Penn oil which has some of the highest zddp ratings. You can get it in any viscosity you want. It costs about $6 a qt though.

18. models916

models916

I only use sperm whale oil in my engine now. I go hunting with the Eskimos every spring and slaughter a couple of oil changes.

19. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Its not the oil companies that dictate what goes into their oil, its government regulations. There have been agencies here in the US that have wanted to get rid of all the "junk" old cars off the roads for over 30 years now. And they have finally figured out how to target certain products to basically kill them off by attrition. And before long, it will kinda' be like Mad Max, where we'll be scrounging thru warehouses trying to find the last remaining drops of the gas and oil that these old iron powered vehicle can use. Thats what the whole "Cash for Clunkers" program was about some years ago, to get rid of as large a segment of older cars as possible. No telling how many millions of cars were taken out by that program.

20. Buzznut

Buzznut

LOL, unless of course it was spelled incorrectly in the original archived thread as well.

21. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

:D Funny thing, back in the 70's I worked as a Parts manager for a Dodge dealer and Mopar had an oil additive that was made from whale oil around '77-'78 it was pulled off the shelves I guess to keep a certain group happy :rolleyes: The stuff actually reduced friction to the point that when added to the oil RPM's would increase by 200-300 within 5 minutes run time at idle.

22. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

23. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

I generally pick a Rotella with an "S" rating (spark ignition engines).
    Some only carry "C" ratings (compression ignition / Diesel) engines

24. I wonder if Brad Penn oil is mostly found back east? I've never seen it here in WA state. I have gone to using Valvoline "Racing" oil. Apparently it's not street legal but I've not been busted yet :)

25. 66nova383

66nova383
    from oregon

Where do you get the Brad Penn or joe gibs oil ?

26. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

This is what I run because it works in my diesel truck and my flat tappet gas engines. I buy it in the 2 gallon case with free shipping on Amazon.

5W40 MOBIL 1 TURBO DIESEL TRUCK synthetic, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4 and ACEA E7 = 74,312 psi
    zinc = 1211 ppm
    phos = 1168 ppm
    moly = 2 ppm

27. olds34dude

olds34dude
    from florida

4qts. Rotella, 1qt. Lucas H-D oil stabilizer is the cocktail of choice for the 429 Caccy motor in my 37 Caddy,D

28. tjm73

tjm73

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  29. Isn't Brad Penn pretty notorious for a lot of parafin buildup in engine passages over time? Seems like I have seen various people here write about that.

...also that thing about the Dodge whale oil additive was interesting.

30. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

I run 10-40 with Lucas Oil additive in mine