Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Dodge Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1fastgramp, Jul 21, 2013.

1. 1fastgramp

1fastgramp
    from Minnesota

Looking for advice on this truck. Still has the flathead 6 and the fluid drive 3 speed. Truck is supposed to be all solid and a driver. He said top speed is around 45 for cruising at 55 its wound tight he said. Going to look at it this week. I want a truck to drive with the intention of upgrading the drivetrain down the road with a 318 or something. I am not a body man but can get help with the fabrication for the drivetrain. I would like to have the top chopped but I think the visor helps with the tall cab. Just need to know what to look for on this truck. Thanks Joe

Attached Files:

2. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Probably accurate doin a 318 and perhaps a 905 tranny and a new rear...

What flathead is it ? I guess it doesn't matter.... What you got as far as cruising speed is it.... From what I understood those trucks where pretty straight forward.

CHops are expensive. Glass, doors ect. Many bad chops out there... I like the visor myself. Kinds gives it the look from the front and the drivers seat without loosing head room....

3. 1fastgramp

1fastgramp
    from Minnesota

Thanks. He is asking $3500.00 or offer which seems reasonable but I know pictures are deceiving. I think it's worth a 2 hour drive to check it out. I've driven farther for less.

4. Jen......

Jen......

looks good but you have to see it

Jen

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

should be a 230. Top gear is 1 to 1 and the fluid drive gives you pretty close to 98% pass through. The cruising speed is limited by the rear end gears more than anything else. you probably have 4.11 or higher. My Plymouth coupe has 4.11 and with my 225 75 15 tires, 3280 Rpms is 62 MPH. You can help with mounting taller tires, or swapping in a rear end from a Cherokee (3.55) or Ranger Explorer. 3.73 or something, 2wd drive Dakota, or if your are not planning to do any heavy hauling from a MOPAR B body with 3.23 or something like that. In any of those cases your will need to some spring perch modifications. You should be able to get a comfortable 65mph cruise with those ratios. If you want to really relax look for a Dodge Diplomat from the late 80's early 90's they had a 2.73 to 1 or close to it. with the fluid drive that would be the definition of leisurely.

6. Jcox68rt

Jcox68rt

If you are looking for budget cruiser...swap out the rear end with one that has about 3.23 gears. Cheap and easy... As for a chop, you can have some one do it for about $2-3k...at least that's what it run around these parts. If it were me I would do a rearend swap and leave the rest alone.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Look for a newer truck. I am serious. 10 years newer and you can get a Dodge truck with small block or big block V8 that continued on until the 70s or later, the excellent Torqueflite automatic and other available features along with a roomier better looking body.

I can't figure out why someone would go out to buy a vehicle with the idea of installing a V8 engine, auto trans, power steering, power brakes etc when they can just buy a truck that has those things already.

If you add up the cost of the truck plus the cost of all the mods you could buy the best truck in the country for the same money or less and save a shit ton of work.

PS I like the Dodge trucks but they are ugly. Their functional qualities can outweigh the ugliness but if you are not going to keep the engine, trans, rear axle etc. I can't see the point of buying such an ugly truck.

8. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

plym_46 is right.... If you did grap a diplomat or volarae, you would have everything you need.... Those 232 slant 6's where great as well.... Find one sporting a 318 and your equipped complete.....

If its solid, and runs good, The price is good. Not much room to dicker so don't insult... Throw a figure out holding cash, and see if he takes it..... $2500 would be bottom start I would think.... Him knowing it was a 2 hour cruise....

9. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

I'll have to agree with you Rusty, those old Dodge trucks are ugly as 400 hells, 500 hells with a chop.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  10. 1fastgramp

1fastgramp
    from Minnesota

He just sold the truck. Thanks for the information. I'll just have to save some more $ and buy something done. Thanks again

11. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Give thanks to your Maker tonight when you say your prayers.

12. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

The one that got away.... Well look for it at local shows..... and smile...

Happy hunting !

13. George

George

Well, lets all go out & buy muscle cars then!

14. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

LOL, I was thinking the same thing...

These trucks are way better looking than the 61 Models those have to be the Ugliest trucks ever made. with Huge poly motors that made a fraction of what a later LA motor is putting out, and dont even attempt manual steering with all that weight on the front. it would be miserable to drive.

51's I think are a good looking truck, I did a 360/727/8.75 swap into my 57 Dodge (now runs well over 100MPH) that originally had a 230/3sp with the stock rear and it topped out at 45MPH, don't waste your time with a 318 find a 360 if you are gonna do it do it right, the power difference is dramatic and the 360s are everywhere and basically the same as a 318 externally. If you did a rearend swap go with a B or E body 8.75, about the strongest rear end you could put in there, and the exact same width as the stock unit in your truck no narrowing required. they are plentiful in trucks/cars/vans/motorhomes they are plentiful and very easy to get parts for aftermarket/junkyard.
    sorry you lost the truck, but don't be discouraged there will always be another.

And I don't understand plym_46's comment " if your are not planning to do any heavy hauling from a MOPAR B body"
    referring to the rearend options, thats the strongest rearend out of all you mentioned guess it wasnt strong enough for all those Fullsize Dodge pickups/ Vans loaded with people or motorhomes....?

Sorry for the Untraditional wheels but a fine example of how bad ass a 51 can be, far from an ugly truck IMO.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  15. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

That's a pretty decent truck for 3500 or even lower. Its even got the quarter windows. Should of snapped it up right away.......

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Now I get it. If you want a truck with a V8 and automatic, buy one with a 6 cylinder and manual trans and change it over to prove how clever you are.

I guess if you want to bake a pie, you should start by buying a cake mix.

17. 59buick

59buick

I think the 51 has a 218 flat 6 stock, my 53 did, but if it had fluid drive it might of had the 230. My 53 now has a sbc, 350 turbo and Camaro rear end with a Buick Skylark subframe, sorry Dodge fans, I used to have a sticker on it that read Ram tough, no Hemi, all Chevy, just for a joke. My favorite Dodge truck is the 57, love the looks of it , wish I had one.

18. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Rusty O'Toole, last I heard that was called Hot Rodding, and that is pretty much what this board is all about. Just because you dislike the look of a 48-53 Dodge truck, that doesn't mean every one dislikes them. A V8 was not available in Dodge trucks until 54, and that is a different body style. If you wanted a V8 in a 48-53 Dodge truck, either you pay someone to do it for you, or you have to put one there yourself. Gene

19. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Seems someones grapes have soured.....................

20. 1fastgramp

1fastgramp
    from Minnesota

I was just looking for advise, not to be criticized about my choice of vehicle and what I wanted to do with it. If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything. The truck is sold so it is a moot point. To those that gave me positive info I thank you. Joe

21. George

George

Think he was doing some Trolling. Keep looking, something will turn up.

22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

OK OK I get it. If you want a Camaro, don't buy a Camaro. Buy a 51 Dodge pickup truck and put in a Camaro engine, Camaro transmission, Camaro suspension, Camaro rear axle, Camaro seats, Camaro steering wheel, chop the top so it is as low as a Camaro, and paint it Camaro red.

This proves how clever you are. After all anybody can go out and buy a Camaro.

23. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

They are great trucks.....had mine for 14 years....can be made into a true hot rod with imagination, love , money and time....

Attached Files:

24. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

No, you still dont get it...

Sweet flames! I like it.