Register now to get rid of these ads!

27 roadster on a 36 frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steelhorse27, Jul 24, 2013.

1. steelhorse27

steelhorse27

I'm still in my acquiring parts phase for my 27 Roadster build and ran across a full frame and suspension (front and rear) from what I believe is a 36 ford, that I can get for a song.... I know the width and wheel base are bit different and would require a little "massaging" but has anybody used one for a T or A build? Thoughts? field frame.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. steelhorse27

steelhorse27

Attached Files:

3. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

It would take a ton of work to get the frame to fit the body or the body to fit the frame. The wheel base is different, but so is the width, shape, etc. That being said, it looks like there is a lot of usable stuff there. The front axle and rear end could be easily adaptable and if you get a set of 1932 American stamping rails, you can use the 1935-1936 center x-member to stiffen it up as well as have the trans mount, pedal mounts, etc. It isn't exactly what you need, but it's a great start!

4. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

Also, and it's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the stuff is 1937-1940 and probably 1939. That's good because the brakes look hydraulic rather than mechanical (totally usable) and the rear wishbones look like the 1937-1941 ones that bolt to the backing plates rather than the 1935-1936 ones that bolt to the axle bells with the spring hangers behind them. The frames, for the most part, are pretty much all the same during those years.

5. evintho

evintho

Save the front and rear suspension and sell the frame. The frame seems to be in pretty good shape. I'm sure it'll sell quickly. Make your own frame from 2"x3" rectangular steel. The rear could be adapted but it kinda depends on what motor you're gonna run. It'd work with a hopped up flathead but a blown and injected hemi might be a bit much for it!

I'm running the same '37-'41 front end on my 'T' roadster.

[​IMG]

6. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Evintho, is that a 2.3 you're putting in that?

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

didn't Blackie Gejeian use a similar combination to build his AMBR winner?

8. steelhorse27

steelhorse27

Thanks so-cal, the guy who was mowing the grass said he thought it was a 36 but you may be right. The suspension is what caught my eye and the frame might just get thrown in on the deal.

Evintho - I'm gonna run a 37 flattie that's already have so that rear will hopefully hold up ;). I have considered scratch building a frame or running an A frame. I wanna keep it a pre-1950 build for the most part......

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

EVINTHO, that turbo 4cyl should make a rocket out of your '27T. Be sure to post any progress.

Frank

10. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like you are on the right track .

11. mechanic58

mechanic58

I'd like to have that "Intercooler" emblem to put on my refrigerator if you're not going to use it anymore.

12. evintho

evintho

I'd like too but I guess I'm not allowed to post any future progress. The mods deleted my post as 'off topic'.

Mechanic58,
    I got the I/C emblem off a Volvo at the junkyard.

13. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

It looks like 39 parts based on the backing plates/wide 5 drums... SO cal is right. The rails would take a ton of work to fit your body but everything else would work great ( 33-36 front axles look very good dropped ) You could use the rails if you really put your mind to it , and could look killer and give you a very swoopy looking t ....

14. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Here's what I mean about swoopy ... This is the frame for my 41 truck. its a 42-482 car frame shortened and narrowed . You would have to cut a lot out of the turtle deck ....
    [​IMG]

15. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was confused about where the picture went.. Thanks mods.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'd take the center crossmember and front and rear suspention stuff, and junk everything else, I might consider using the kickup from the rails on a model a frame also

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I very much doubt you have this sort of build planned, but FYI quite a few "sports rods" in the 50's (some very successful) were built on post WWII frames. One of the over riding ideas on using such a wide frame was get the seating / footbox as low as possible in the car and a wide frame made that easier. But to get an early Ford body on them you had to widen the body a little, or make your own body. Cars like that often resembled Allards or early race cars, with the edges of the bodies sitting on the frame rails. Not exactly the popular track T look, but it has been done. Gary

Attached Files:

18. steelhorse27

steelhorse27

Mastergun - yeah that might be a bit too swoopy for this one, although I am a fan of the bleed sweep

Gary - that is nice and I can appreciate the style, just not what I want to drive. I want it to be a simple, nice, traditional type car....... I have really been inspired by these as of late

Attached Files: