Register now to get rid of these ads!

So my 15 year old sister just bought her first car .. and its awesome!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Luke4554, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Luke4554

Luke4554

Backstory .. (if anyone cares)

My sister is significantly younger than i am at 15 years old (im 28 :rolleyes:). My dad has always had old stuff .. old willy's jeeps, 40's ford trucks, 50's dodge trucks, and ford flatheads of all sizes laying around his shop and she loves classic rock... so needless to say shes grown up right ;).

Shes getting ready to start driving and my dad has been helping her look for her first car. They've been window shopping autotrader magazines and the internet for a few months and just recently started going to check out cars in her price range. Dad took her to GoodGuys in Columbus Ohio a couple weeks ago and she was loving it, unfortunately i had a wedding to go to and wasnt able to attend.

While there they talked to a guy who was selling a Dodge Dart. According to my dad the car was in pretty great condition and needed nothing immediate done to it. The guy spoke with my dad initially until my dad told him that he needed to direct his attention to her because it was going to be her car and not his and she was the one who needed to love it to make the sale. After talking with my sister a bit the man asked how she liked it. Her response to him was that she liked the car alot .. and it was really pretty .. but that she really wanted something she could buy and make her own. My dad said at that point the man smiled, held out his hand and said, "Congratulations .. apparently you did a good job raising this one.." and told her good luck and that he was really excited for her that she was interested in older cars and wanted to work on it herself with my old man.

Which brings us to last weekend.. shes found her car.. dad called yesterday and told me to give her a buzz. And this is what she got.. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1959 Ford Galaxie from what im told (i appoligize if im incorrect im not too up to date on these large body fords). ** edited .. thanks guys! **

From what the old man said its in really good shape. I believe he said the car only has 80k miles on it and runs really well. He checked the wheel wells and around the car and didnt find any rot .. just some surface rust here and there which is awesome for her. She got the car for $3500 and right now it really needs nothing. Dad said the main things he and her are going to do to it first is update the brakes to discs and redo the interior. Other than that hes leaving it up to her to do with it what she wants.

Shes rediculously excited and im super happy for her. She spent all day cleaning it and sitting in it yesterday dad said and cant stop smiling. He lives out of town a ways so shes gotten to drive it up and down the neighbors half mile driveway a bit. Shes going to look halarious in it in my opinion since shes like 60lbs soaking wet but im proud of her for buying something cool and not like a new beetle or something. I mentioned cruising with her when she gets it done and she was so excited.

Just wanted to share with everyone .. there's still hope!! ;)

And the tradition lives on..

Luke

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

excellent ! hope she has fun ............ steve

3. 327Eric

327Eric

Its a 59, and awesome. Cheap and easy to maintain, the choice of demolition derby guys everywhere, for their solid construction. I'm on my 3rd 59 Ranchero right now, I love them.

4. flathead4d

flathead4d

Nice car. It's a 59. She has good taste.

5. Please tell her not to fall for any "fad" dodads or paint (or pinstriping) (yeah I said pinstriping, sorry guys it's overdone when you can walk into Autozone and get pinstripe stickers, again, sorry)

Neat car, neat girl, great story.

6. Luke4554

Luke4554

Thanks yeah i just confirmed with my dad its indeed a '59 .. he jokingly said he must have "fat fingered it" on his iphone ..

Thanks for the heads up! And the kind words!

7. Awesome first car. Couldn't wipe that grin off even with 80 grit.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's a lot of car. She'll grow into it great. Nothing like a cool tank to battle the SUV's.:D

9. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

i think that's awesome. look at that smile!! that tells you everything right there.

10. thats awesome and congrats ...

they should have more younger generations doing this, like you sister did

definitely different

11. Nice car,,but it's a '59 not a '58.

Interesting that a young girl likes the older cars. HRP

12. Luke4554

Luke4554

I can try .. more than anything im going to help her build whatever she wants. Shes fairly traditional with most everything .. and loves my poncho and dads hot rods so i dont see her doing anything twisted to it .. but more than anything its her car .. and her first car .. and i want her to love it. The last thing dad and i want to do is tell her how to build it and push her away from enjoying having and working on it. :)

13. very cool I hope she enjoys it

14. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

shake your dad's hand, he raised his kids right. 59 fords are pretty sweet cars

15. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

Great car! I hope the young lady has great success and enjoys the hell out of it!

16. woodbox

woodbox

Well done to your sis and Dad, great choice!
    Get her signed up on here and she won't go wrong!

17. switchkid0

switchkid0

The best thing about it is that after a couple of parking lot "love taps", it will be time to go under the knife.
    Chopped top, fender skirts, custom grille, etc...

18. Great choice! The first car I ever bought to modify...

292-powered, or has it got the 352 FE in it? With the FE these will step out nicely. They look great with a mild lowering, chrome reverse/baby moons and skinny whites too!

19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's beyond awesome. She looks happy as all get out, I remember the feeling of being 15 years old with a cool old car. Times I'll never forget and I'm sure she'll enjoy every second of it.

20. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Hey my kind of girl. I also am 15 with a old first car.

21. mark schanfeldt

mark schanfeldt

The smile by itself is worth the price of the car.

22. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

My sister went from a Z-28 to a Acura.
    She was doing it wrong.

23. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Congrats! Now she needs to join the HAMB. When I was 15 this car was brand new. Holy shit, I'm ancient!

24. robertsregal

robertsregal

Cool ride and awesome that she chose it!!!

25. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

if she joins the HAMB tell her to shoot me a PM ;) haha just kiddin'. its pretty cool to see other kids my age into old cars.

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That's awesome!

Got seat belts already?

27. flatoz

flatoz

Thats pretty cool alround. She will get to be known locally as everyone will recognise the car once she's driving regularly. If she can learn to drive and park in that, she will be able to drive anything.

28. That's a nice big car, plenty of protection. I have one in storage and it always amazes me just how big it is compared to my '52 and F-1.

29. roughneck424

roughneck424

What a COOL GIRL. We need more like her in this world!
    Congradulations

30. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Cool! :cool: What I would have given for a back seat like that when I was 15. :eek: