Register now to get rid of these ads!

Metal Rescue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by d2_willys, Jul 22, 2013.

1. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Just saw this Metal Rescue stuff and was wondering if it works any good. I have a 225 Buick V6 that 5 of the 6 pistons are rusted up to the block. I am getting ready to do the reverse electrolysis thing, but thought I might find out a little more about this stuff.:eek:

2. Workshop Hero

Workshop Hero
    from Michigan

We have had great results with our customers, now granted my opinion may be a tad bias, however if you have any trouble with our Metal Rescue there is always a money back guarantee with every purchase. If you have any other question about Metal Rescue, or rust removal and prevention please feel free to ask.

3. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Turned my horrible valve covers and valley cover into workable, now brilliantly painted, pieces.
    I recommend it!

4. Workshop Hero

Workshop Hero
    from Michigan

That's great to hear, how long did you soak them for? Any pictures?

5. Great stuff, it's a hit on a motorcycle site I moderate for cleaning out rusty gas tanks. How well it will work freeing stuck pistons is hard to say, as that may be aluminum corrosion as much as rust and I don't think this works on that....

6. Workshop Hero

Workshop Hero
    from Michigan

If it is rust, it should be no problem for Metal Rescue, aluminum corrosion may be a different story. Is this a project you are currently working on?

7. jetcycles

jetcycles

How is Metal Rescue any different than Evapo Rust?

Workshop Hero, read the forum rules. . .

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  8. wantingatrifive

wantingatrifive

Vinegar works really well to remove rust and its cheaper.

9. Workshop Hero

Workshop Hero
    from Michigan

To answer your question regarding the difference between the two, Metal Rescue is a clear liquid, and does no leave a tacky or sticky residue after use, they are both similar products in many regards, though Metal rescue tends to de-rust quicker at ambient temperatures.

10. I have used it recently on a motorcycle tank. Left it in for a week turning the tank over dayly. It came out beautiful. It was probably finished earlier, I still had some scale on the inside, when I rinsed it out I realized it was just residue stuck on the sides. I rinsed it with clean Metal Rescue then brake clean and compressed air. Very satisfied.

11. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

FWIW, Acetic acid, the active ingredient in vinegar, forms iron acetate on contact with steel.
    Do a search for the adheasive properties of Iron Acetate for paint and see what you get...
    Then try one for the properties of iron phosphate conversion and you might rethink Vinegar...

Yesterday, I pulled some rims out of a garbage can full of a 1:9 molasses/water solution. After one week the ones with any paint came out still sporting paint but the one that was 'All Rusty' came out great! Hit it with a pressure washer and was really pleased. It has as good or better results than reverse electroysis considering it didn't need line of sight to be activated like RE does. I did let an air pocket get trapped on the bottom side of one and that needed another go around, but $14 is what I call 'cheap' for thirty gallons of product.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  12. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

About 3 hours.
    Gotta make sure its all submerged!

13. Rogueman

Rogueman

I used it on my model A gas tank. I put in 2 gallons and just keep turning it ever 7 hours are so. I have been running the tank a couple months without problems.

14. chevypete2

chevypete2
    from M.D.

I bought some 4 yrs. ago, works only when quite warm, (80+). Had to take the whole 5 gal. outside in the 90 degree heat to warm it up so it works. Cleaned excellent on some carbs, just o.k. on others. I wish it worked at room temps. I think the cost was $99 + shipping.

15. Workshop Hero

Workshop Hero
    from Michigan

This is true Metal Rescue works better at higher temperatures (up to 180 degrees), in fact it is microwavable and not only de-rust better, but works faster the warmer that product is.

16. monkeyodoom

monkeyodoom
    from Arkansas

I used reverse electrolysis on my rusted gas tank. It works great and is cheap to do if you already have a battery charger. Took about 4 hours and the inside of my tank looked brand new. Best thing about the electrolysis is you don't have to worry about it eating thru the metal.

17. Workshop Hero

Workshop Hero
    from Michigan

Is anyone working on any project right now? If so we would love to see some pictures, if you are using Metal Rescue ™ and want to write up a short review of your experience with our product we would be happy to send you out a free t-shirt.

18. steves29

steves29

FYI, It will remove paint from vintage lic. plates. I submerged an Ont. 1920 plate for 4 hr. Ooops. they are not stamped only painted.

19. Workshop Hero

Workshop Hero
    from Michigan

Metal Rescue™ will not remove or harm the vast majority of paint coatings. However, if there is a layer of rust under the paint some of the paint coating will be lost as Metal Rescue™ removes the rust. Some paints and inks (typically red/orange), especially old paints, may use iron oxide pigments and because Metal Rescue™ has been engineered to remove iron oxide, it may dissolve the pigment in these types of paints. It is always best to test a small section or hidden area prior to use. If you have any other question please let me know. Also Steve I have sent you a PM regarding the plate.

20. steves29

steves29

I should have added that the product is great. I have cleaned many parts like model a door latches and old tools. Amazed at the results. Steve

21. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

To answer the OP's question, a buddy just used some in his froze up nailhead (former marine engine) that had some heavy rust in the cylinders and froze up pretty good. He filled the cylinders and cleaned 'em out the next day and they look good as new baring some minor pitting from the rust. I was kind of amazed how new the cylinder walls looked. You could see the cross hatching they were so clean.

22. Workshop Hero

Workshop Hero
    from Michigan

23. DITTO: I started w/MR and have witched to distilled white vinegar. Search this web site and you will find a ton of posts on vinegar for removing rust as well as molasses.

Attached Files:

24. Workshop Hero

Workshop Hero
    from Michigan

Thanks Steve for the compliment, we enjoy hearing when people have success with our product.