Register now to get rid of these ads!

8 in ford rear end axle change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carbuilder, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

While there is a persistent group of car guys who use axle housing flange to flange dimensions, the far more useful and widely used dimensions is wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface (WMS). the variability of backing plate offset and brake shoe width makes the housing flange measurement a less reliable means of selecting an axle assembly width.

2. nailhead55

nailhead55

I got this off of here some where?8.8 up to 93 - 5 lug by getting 2 drivers side axles(and drums to) from a 1983 + up ford ranger with 7.5 rears 5on 41/2 bolt pattern, 28 spline,(bearing are the same) did not do it yet on mine but check it out, good luck

3. carbuilder

carbuilder

Hnstray I understand what you are saying for wms I had found some info doing reaserch & depending on what model & years there is all kinds of housing widths so that is what I had used for my referance till I measured mine at the flange. I also have found there is off set center sections so axel lenghts vary. I have learned enough to wait on buying the axels & bearings till I tear it apart this coming winter. This car will go thru a major chassis rebuild over the winter. For general strength it flexes to much for me, full front rear suspension change, new wheels & tires plus tranny tune up. It has a low hp cruser motor which is quite fine with me. I am looking for safe, fun & dependable driver. This cars is very fun to drive just needs a freshing up it was built in 1989.