Register now to get rid of these ads!

I think I akready know the answer!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeep-joint, Jul 24, 2013.

1. jeep-joint

jeep-joint

OK, I building a glass 32 roadster and mocking up the grill shell and hood. I bought a Afco aluminum radiator and the car came with a fiberglass grill shell.
    The radiator and grill shell just do not fit well together. I see that Walker makes a radiator for a 32 Ford that they say mates to a steel Brookville grill shell.

My question, is it worth the extra money to buy the Walker radiator and the Brookville grill shell? I'm looking at about $300 for the shell and another $650 for the radiator.

I'm also installing a Dan Fink hood hinge system. It looks like that will be a real adventure by itself.

Thanks for your response.

2. i've never used a Afco radiator......but my guess is the fiberglass grille shell may be the major cause of your problems

maybe you could borrow a steel grille shell and see if that's better?

3. Walker radiators are the cats arse,,they are copper/brass and are correct in every way,,don't know about the glass shell but I have had a couple of the the Brookville shells and there were no problems. HRP

4. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Often times the glass shells need to be "horsed" into position.

5. If your building a full fendered Glass 32 and this is your first problem, your a very lucky Man. So is the Afco Rad listed as a 32 Ford replacement of did you just buy it based on size? I like the suggestion of doing a test fit with borrowed parts be it a good grill shell or another Rad that fits a stock shell.
    The Wizzard

6. Dennis D

Dennis D

Glass shell that came with my F/G car did not even come close to working with the Walker radiator. Bought one from Vintique, but haven't got to the point of trying to mount it yet. Another adventure awaits..........Dennis D

7. pila38

pila38

To drop another $1000 on parts that you already have would be tough to swallow for me. I don't know how hard you have tried to make them work together, but that would be my first course of action. If that absolutely did not work, I would by the Brookville shell and try to make it work with the Afco radiator. I wouldn't rush out to spend all that money because they "say" it will mate to the other shell. Just my opinion, which has proven to be worthless at times!

8. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I agree completely.

9. The question was ask and we all know what opinions are like.

I have built 6 different 32's and I learned a long time ago to use the best radiator I could find,,Walker is the best IMHO. HRP

10. AFCO is a Speedway motors company now. I had one in my '41 and it blew a core leak at about 30 miles. I was refunded and replaced it with a Griffin. I have Walker in my '34 and that would be my preferred solution. Like others, I think your issues may lie with the Glass.

11. Do we dare ask who's Fiberglass parts your working with?
    The Wizzard

12. henry29

henry29

Huh, I didn't know that, and I'm only 20 miles from AFCO.

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

What's a Dan Fink hood hinge system?

14. Henry29, thats what I was told by Speedway when I was tracking mine down for warranty.

15. Not to Hijack the thread, but FYI on Speedway owning AFCO:

PRESS RELEASE/NEWS-Speedway Motors Acquires A-FAB (AFCO)

Lincoln, Neb. – Speedway Motors, Inc. of Lincoln, Neb., America's oldest speed shop and a trusted source for specialty street rod and racing products, has acquired A-FAB Corporation of Boonville, Ind.

A-FAB Corporation engineers and manufactures premium shocks, springs and radiators through its AFCO brand, high-quality automotive brakes through its U.S. Brake brand, and premium exhaust systems through its Dynatech division. The combination unites two legendary family-owned companies. The combined companies will offer customers a wider selection of high-quality products with fast delivery and superior customer service.

Clay Smith of Speedway Motors said combining the strengths of Speedway and AFCO creates a stronger company.

"Speedway Motors is known throughout the industry for outstanding product selection, same-day shipping and great customer service," Smith said. "We are excited about this opportunity as it will greatly benefit our customers. We have been looking to join forces with a premier specialty automotive products manufacturer and realized the numerous benefits of adding the AFCO, Dynatech and U.S. Brake brands and their industry leading reputation. This
    combination will enhance both operations and create many new growth opportunities."

Jeff Scales of AFCO said the transaction ensures AFCO's operations, management team and employees will remain in Boonville.

"We have been looking for a partner to help grow our high-quality product line," Scales said. "Speedway, which also is family-owned, is a perfect fit because each company has unique resources and core strengths that complement each other. Collectively we plan to make significant capital investments in our facilities which could result in additional job growth. Our combined manufacturing, inventory and distribution system will be a tremendous benefit to customers and suppliers."
    Smith said the transaction will close in early December 2008, and that a smooth, seamless transition is anticipated. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

16. I have used AFCo radiators and never had a fittment problem. Like 36 . . . says here beg borow or steal another Deuce grill shell and see if you still have a problem. Modifying your grill shell or buying one that needs no mods may be your cheapest route here.

17. belair

belair

Missed you, beaner.

18. jeep-joint

jeep-joint

Turns out the AFCO radiator was within $50 of the Walker which I was not aware of at the time. Called Speedway this morning and they will exchange my new in the box Afco for the Walker plus the price difference.

I did not have the grill insert and the fiberglass shell is worth maybe $50. I just purchased a new Brookville shell and insert from Pete & Jake's this morning. The old fiberglass shell will become wall art.

I should have done my H.A.M.B. research before buying the AFCO.

Thanks to all for the fast and valued responses.

19. jeep-joint

jeep-joint

Dan Fink makes a hood hinge system that allows the one piece hood to be raised from either the driver or passenger side or removed completely. It also locks in position the hood side panels to make a nice installation, THEY SAY!

Haven't made the installation, but it may take several "adult beverages" to get it done correctly.

http://www.hotrodproducts.com/

20. kismyss

kismyss

I say spend a little more now and do it right to avoid future headaches. Have a Walker in my 37 and its by far the best quality Ive ever seen. You won't regret it.

21. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

That was good thinking on your part to call and ask for an exchange.

22. metalman

metalman

I had hair till I installed some Dan Fink hood hinge kits years ago when they first came out. Never again. No adjustment to speak of so your "guesstament" where the stuff goes better be dead nuts on before you drill the holes but of course guesstaments are never dead on. Lot's of frustration. Then you blow the car apart for paint and it doesn't fit anymore after so your screwing with it again, this time on nice paint. Did I say never again! You know, Henry had a pretty good way of hinging a 32 hood.

23. Yeah,I helped a friend with one of the Dan Fink hinge kits,,we both lost our religion,,cursed each other and consumed mass quantities of adult beverages,and reworked the entire package the next day.

I think the original style 4 piece hood is the best way to go. HRP

24. jeep-joint

jeep-joint

Quick update. I now have a Walker Radiator and a Brookville Grill shell. What a difference! The shell has bosses for the radiator mount and a relief for the shell lacing. Life can be some much better when you start with the right parts. The "Dale" brand grill insert is beautiful.

Thank for the support.

25. purp47

purp47

Iv'e been building rods and resto's for 20 yrs. on my own as a bussines I myself like griffin radiators the best . every time one of my customers had an over heating problem they had a walker radiator. I usually changed to a griffin problem cured . when you take a walker out of the box it usually has a tag that says don't put in front of anything larger than a 350 and do not put an ac condensor in front of one and do not put in front of a bored out engine overheating will occur Iv'e seen it first hand do what you want this is just my oppinion purp47

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of these on an O/T Speed33. Can I be honest? I FUCKIN HATE IT!!! It NEVER goes back where you put it. Adjustment? "We don need no stinkin adjustment..." must be their creed. So, now that you've cursed and broken things, dealt with the client as to why so many hours, it's done and actually look 'acceptable', suppose he parks on some uneven turf somewhere? Yeah, that's exactly what's gonna happen. Nowhere to go, so what happens to the hood? There's one of these on a known 35. When he puts it on his lift he can't get the hood off. 3pcs hoods suck...