Register now to get rid of these ads!

Detroit area '55 Nomad search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beantoad, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. We haven't had much luck on this , but found out the Nomad may have been from the Berkley Mich. area .
    Previous owner's name sounded like Clendenin or Glendenning. (????) The father was "Pops" and one of the sons was "Larry".
    They raced the car all through the '60's. It was gold in colour then changed to silver with a red stripe running along the roof line above the drip rail.

Thanks for any leads you may have, to point us in the right direction
    Beantoad

3. derbydad276

derbydad276

4. Thanks derbydad , Facebook looks like a great place to start
    Beantoad

5. BTTT , hoping that someone remembers this Detroit/ Windsor area, ex-drag race '55 Nomad from the description posted above
    Any info will be greatly appreciated
    I've got my fingers crossed
    Thanks

6. I am pleased to post this follow-up .
    We have located the former owner / builders of the '55 Nomad .
    It would not have been possible without persistant Google searchs and using EVERY last clue we had , no matter how small and irrelevant they seemed at the time . Here is a photo that the former owner sent us ,circa 1968 , and another showing how it looks today in yellow.
    We are overjoyed to have made this connection and can't wait til nicer weather arrives and we can get together with them and swap stories and info .
    If by chance any HAMB'er remembers this car or has additional photos and or memories, we would love to see them.
    Thanks to everyone that helped make this possible.
    Beantoad

Attached Files:

7. Worth the effort!

8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Nice, hope he can afford to buy it back if thats what he wants.

9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

happy ending...

10. To refresh everyones memory , my friend bought a '55 Nomad in the mid 80"s . The story goes that it had a drag race history in the Detroit area , but no pictures and only a few third or forth hand stories about it , some true and some a bit less so. The car had passed between a few owners and changes over the years and details were sketchy to say the least . I set out on a mission to assist my friend in finding out as much as we could about this Nomad's story.
    The happy ending to this story would never have happened without the internet , the HAMB and particularly Google Search .
    After countless searchs using different key words , and searching thousands of on-line dragstrip photos we had almost given up , but in a last ditch effort, I asked my buddy, the current owner to tell me again absolutely anything he had been told about the Nomads history, the original / builder or its drag race history .
    Almost as an afterthought , he again told me again about the tow bar that came with the car . On that home built towbar , were stamped four names ; Pops, Albe , Larry and Dave .
    Armed with those names , and a general idea of their original home town , I Google searched once more .
    It must have been our lucky day, but this time all 4 first names , all still residing in nearby cities , appeared in the obituary notice of the mothers passing earlier this year .
    To sum things up , if you ever attempt a search like this , don't give up , and use every tiny bit of info you can dig up .
    If I can do it , so can you !
    Good Luck

11. flamingokid

flamingokid

Very cool!I bet the old owners were just as glad to know where it ended up as your friend was to know where it came from.Congratulations!

12. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

Wow!...good job..I like it the way it was,,jus sayin:)

13. From what I have heard , the original owners are every bit as excited and happy , even amazed that the old girl still exists . We can't wait to all get together as soon as we get the car out of winter storage and can enjoy a day of swapping stories and memories .

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  14. My friend and I were amazed when we received the 1968 photos .
    In our wildest dreams , neither of us had expected to see such a nice looking and well appointed car .
    Needless to say , we both love the old look , as thats where it all began for us too.

15. bobbybiondo

bobbybiondo
    from michigan

Hey everyone just thought id respond my name is Rob. My grandfather was pops, my uncles are Alby and Dave, my father is Larry he was co-owner and co-driver of the 55 with my uncle Alby. What a great story. I also have the car bug like they did. I purchashed a 1962 nova my father (lar) owned and sold to pops (gramps) which he sold to his friend and I bought from him. wow that was confusing. Anyway I have that 8X10 picture of the nomad. its hard to believe it only had a 301 in it. I believe my dad said it had like a 586 gear in her then. ive known the car since I was child by pictures only. always thought it was the coolest car in the world when I was a kid. i just wanted to say im glad u found the information u were searching for the car looks beautiful in yellow. take care

16. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I LOVE the HAMB for stories like this.

17. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Glad to see that your friend was able to find the previous owners and get some more information about his 55, great looking car by the way.

18. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Man what a great story and bobbybiondo welcome to the HAMB.

I take that is now a Canadian car? Nice find, I do like the racer better than the restored version but maybe now the history is know it will revert?

Very nice, story and car.

19. Hi Rob
    The H.A.M.B. is wonderful
    We are so glad to hear from another family member , as well as everyone else who has posted .
    Bobby , the plan is for your father and uncles to come on over to Canada one day soon and we will have a meet and greet and hopefully some great stories and photos will be shared by all .
    We are less than an hour from Detroit and hopefully you can catch a ride, along with your family ( maybe in your Nova ? ) and enjoy some Canadian air ...and beer !

Jim

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  20. bobbybiondo

bobbybiondo
    from michigan

That sounds like fun. As for bringing my nova its a street/strip car. More strip then street. Just mainly cruise woodward ave. and park and talk cars with buddies. Hope to meet ya soon.
    Rob

21. cavman

cavman

Great story!! I sold the Nomad in my avatar in '66 to someone from the Detroit area. I'm now just wondering if there could be a chance. Slim I know, but look how this search turned out. :)