Register now to get rid of these ads!

Check your gauges!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63comet, Jul 22, 2013.

1. 63comet

63comet

My temp gauge doesn't work.

I overheated the ever living bejesus out of my car this past Thursday and it has now given me a stack of other crap to deal with. I'm pretty sure the overheating was why the carb decided to finally quit, and most likely has something to do with the new transmission leak. I knew it was trying to get hot but on the road the gauge was sitting at 180 so I drove on to where I was going. No good. Since then the needle has stopped moving period.

I mean, I overheated it good! Not a drop of coolant left in the system. It was snapping and popping serious for quite some time after I shut it down. A lesser engine would have surely blown a head gasket or warped the head.

Anyone got suggestions on an affordable new temp gauge? I really don't care what it looks like. My dash is already a collection of anachronisms.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Not a drop of water left in the radiator?,,HRP

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

no steam, oil pressure drop, noises, smell that let you know something was wrong?
    running mechanical or electric gauges? how long ago did you install them? what brand? why running different brands of gauges? what do you consider affordable? ever have overheating problems before?

4. Leviman

Leviman

How can you just run completely dry without ever noticing anything... Perhaps a bad coolant leak during a rain storm?

5. 63comet

63comet

Slight exaggeration, it had some water left. Just as it wasn't showing hot on the gauge I thought I was ok until I got where I was going, wasn't driving all that far.

I have a slap warn out old engine, my oil pressure is always low.

Anachronistic, out if place in time, my current temp/oil/volt gauges are a set of little SunPro that were in the car when I bought it ten years ago. They're mounted in a panel with my digital face CD player. I made that comment as I just need a decent gauge, not a HAMB approved vintage such and such made of unobtanium and asbestos.

Price range? Can I get a decent one for around $30? I've been looking at Summit and their gauges range from $6 to hundreds. I'm not really sure what I expect a new temp gauge to cost.

6. Usually when coolant levels get low, you get some steam or vapor in the motor that makes the temp gauge do wonky things. Sender must be bad?

7. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

May not be anything wrong with the gauge if it was so low that there was no coolant in contact with it.

8. Gauge $30.00 new engine $ 3500.00. Savings $3470.00.

9. 63comet

63comet

So, the only question in my initial post was recommendations for gauges.

Any? Brand? Model? Etc..?

I have a mechanical gauge with the copper line spring thing, so sender or whatever, I reckon I replace the whole thing, right? Yes it has failed. I've been questioning its accuracy for the past two weeks. Now the needle does not move at all anymore.

10. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

There might be nothing wrong with the one you have. The sender has to be in coolant to work. If you had a leak and lost coolant the gauge wont work.

11. 63comet

63comet

I assure you that I have not been driving around for the past three days with no coolant. Having a malfunctioning temp gauge has me checking it quite regularly. The leak that cause the initial overheat is taken care of.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've had people tell me they saw me driving, waved and I didn't wave back. Usually the reason I didn't notice them is because I'm constantly monitoring what my cars doing. At a light, I take that time to check the gauges. When I'm driving, I'm listening to how my cars running. I'm glancing down at my pipes to see if there's smoke or an odd exhaust smell. It's second nature.

13. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Agreed ^^^^^^^^^^ .

Look at it this way, your gonna get what you pay for. A cheap gauge basically gives an impression of accuracy by moving as the engine warms up, while a good name brand gauge (Autometer, Stewart Warner, VDO, Some Sunpro stuff) that is accurate lets you know if there's a problem and is worth the extra coin. Even if the engine is worn out and old, the gauge can be reused when its replaced.

14. 63comet

63comet

That's nice that everyone else has never misjudged an issue with their car or can always afford the time and money to pull over and wait for a tow truck.

Anyone got any suggestions on who makes a goo temperature gauge?

15. 63comet

63comet

I think everyone of those brands offers a gauge in the $30 area. I'm seriously lost trying to make a decision.

I mean am I really going to have to drop $500 to know how warm my coolant is?

16. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

17. Deloc

Deloc

Hi, Remove your temp gauge, set it up in a pan of boiling water, with 12 v attached if electric and the sender. If mechanical just stick the sender in the water. When the water is boiling you should read around 212°. If it does your gauge is OK. Oh Yes, check your radiator more often.
    Good Luck,
    Deloc

18. The main thing I have heard recently is stay away from the SW wings series gauges. My local hotrod shop doesn't even carry them anymore.

19. Thomas, if it wasn't for bad luck you would have no luck at all. "Good" gauge is sorta subjective ... as long as it works ... I would think good sending unit is of higher importance. No recommendation.

20. 63comet

63comet

Lol, I really think I've been spending too much time working on my boat. Made the car jealous. When it broke down on me I was even out buying boat related stuff.

Thanks for the recommendations above!

21. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

I like autogauge by autometer. It's their budget brand. I also have sunpro gauges from autozone in my truck for 11 years and never had a problem, but I like the backlighting on the autogauges better, a little bit better quality I think. I wouldn't worry to much about your old ford. I unknowingly ran my truck completely out of water once after a trip through the woods. I didn't realized a tree branch had peirced the raditator... It starting pinging and knocking and I quickly realized I was serverely overheated, but still managed to drive it two miles home. Let it cool off, changed the oil, replaced the radiator and it is still going to this day.

22. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

What's the story on these?

23. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

24. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

I have a set in my '27 RPU, haven't had any issues in 10 years? I too would like to know more.

[​IMG]

25. 327Eric

327Eric

I have had failures over the years with the inexpensive gauges I use, mostly sunpro and Summit. It happens. Replaced with the same brand or cheap auto parts store ones and have not had a problem. Subjective to price and availability in my case, although I do stay away from the 15 dollar set at Harbor Freight.

26. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

It was posted on the Hamb in the past that Autometer were some of the most accurate and reliable gauges. I believe they are US made.

Ago

27. 63comet

63comet

That's multiple votes for AutoMeter now. I will check out their offerings. Thank you!

28. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

I was thinking about this thread yesterday. I pulled my '65 C10 out of the shop and left it idle in the driveway while moving some stuff around in the shop. I like to let motors come up to temperature rather shutting them off cold so I left it running.

About 10 minutes or so go by and I went out to pull it back into the shop. The Autometer water temp. gauge reads a little over 210? Hmmm... so I pull the truck back in the shop and the gauge stayed rock steady at 210. I turned off the engine and notice the temp. gauge dropped down to 180. For shits and grins I turned the key back to ignition and the gauge read just a little under 180. Started the truck back up, gauge reads a little under 180.

Autometer 2532 Traditional Electric 2-1/16" Gauge

Sweet.. pick a temperature, any temperature.

Crappy photo from 2010 follows:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013