Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trans Yoke problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RayVan, Jul 23, 2013.

1. RayVan

RayVan

Guys

I have a 64 ford with a c4 tranny.

I recently reinstalled the 170ci I6 motor with the tranny attached for ease of installation.

Went to hook up the drive shaft, but the damn yoke is stuck in the rear of the trans. Has to be the splines.

Ive tried tapping it with a hammer, pulling it with a chain. Its seized pretty good.

any ideas before I drop the tranny and take it to the shop? Im not a transmission guy, ive dropped them before for clutch repair. Ive installed new drive shafts etc, but the stuck yoke is a 1st for me.

~Ray in Texas.

2. terryble

terryble
    from canada

I have only ever seen this situation once before and I finally just drove the spined yolk out of the tranny only to find the output shaft had somehow been damaged and the yoke and shaft were slightly bent. Ended up taking the tranny (51 Ford) apart and had the shaft staightened and replaced the yoke. You don't mention why the yoke was in there in the first place, did you get it like that? Could it be someone forced the wrong yoke in there in the first place?

3. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Slide hammer? If not, then pull the freeze plug out of the middle of the yoke and install a gear puller somehow and try.

4. RayVan

RayVan

Original trans to the van. When I removed the motor and trans from the van the yoke remained in. Should have known then I had a problem, but my focus was the motor at the time.

It sat over a year without running, somehow seized over that time..

Looks like I will be dropping the trans..

5. terryble

terryble
    from canada

If it isn't a slider yoke is it possible it is bolted to the shaft?

6. RayVan

RayVan

It is a slip yoke, no clue how the damn thing got stuck.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one that actually welded it's self to the output shaft because it got so hot but I'd suspect that this is probably rust or varnish holding it in.

I'd try gentle taps with a bfh if you haven't already done so.

8. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

I second the puller - what do you have to lose by giving it a try?

9. RayVan

RayVan

I'm giving it ago later after work to see what happens..

These classics love throwing curve balls and you.

10. 5559

from tn

had one on a 63 chevy c10 that I never got loose--------hope your luck is better

11. redhumphries

redhumphries

how did you remove the driveshaft and leave the yoke in the trans. Sounds like someone jammed the yoke back in after removing the u-joint.

12. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Just for giggles, look to see if there is a hex head in the middle of the yoke. ;)

13. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I suspect he did it by removing the u-bolts that hold it on to a fixed yoke on the output shaft. May also explain if it has a splined slip driveshaft. My kid's '63 did........:eek:

14. RayVan

RayVan

It does have a damn hex head.

Got it fixed. Learn something new everyday I get underneath this van.

I thought this entire time the yoke was a slip yoke. Its is not. The damn drive shaft flexes at the end like a shock. Simply had to pull on it and presto it fit.

I've had a few cars and this was a first without a slip yoke. Figured it out with the help of my neighbor.

15. terryble

terryble
    from canada

It is really great when someone posts the solution! So many times on here we are left hanging because what ever the right answer was they don't let us know.

16. That's how we learn.
    Thanks!