Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winfield select six. WHAT A SCAM!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt55bc, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

Gene is not doing the posting someone is doing it for him.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

What the fuck does ANYTHING in this post have to do with the question at hand?

3. My opinion? Ya I know you didn't ask but....it smells fishy and the car is fugly.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Do I smell nail polish and hair spray? Because this shit reads like something I'd hear when I pick up my gal from the beauty shop. "He heard", "he said", "maybe". Without BOTH sides of the equation, isn't this just gossip and hearsay?

People are talking about not going to shows anymore and switching waxes? Really?

Wow, guys..... come on.

6. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. I think what you thought you heard is not the whole story.....instead this is a thread that drags a 85 year old threw the mud and he's not here to defend himself.

Go drive your fucking cars. Car shows for trophys and money are lame.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

HotrodDon, Flat N Low, myself and several others are all still waiting to hear the other side of this, Gene is a member here, I'd guess that several people have probably already sent him PM's. Chopt55 isnt saying "my buddy was entered in the XXX" or "a friend of a friend saw Gene leave with XXX", he's saying he saw it. It really has nothing to do with whether car shows are for gold chainers, Gene is my hero, the merc is ugly, or Chopt55 didnt win. Its about whether or not there was collusion between Gene and the guy that the $10,000 prize was handed to. The silence is getting pretty loud...
    I really want to hear from the other side, because IF this went down as the OP describes it, well, I think the jury is in on that. I honestly dont know Gene from adams off ox, so it really doesnt matter to him what I think, but I always held Gene in a little higher regard than some other famous custom guys ;), and I think the majority of reactions on this thread shows that a lot of other guys do/did as well.

Gene, if you have something to say, if this isnt the way it looks, now would be a real good time to speak up.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  9. Let's just be real for a minute. Not EVERYONE reads this site. His silence doesn't necessarily mean anything. All I'm saying is that maybe it's a shady deal, maybe it isn't, but to charge the man as guilty without his side is really wrong.

10. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

11. whats the saying?

If a man talks about another man while that man is not around, then a man does not listen.

Without both sides hearsay and slander.

beautiful truck from the o.p.

maybe Gene really likes something about that merc.

12. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

ever fart in church?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

14. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

i didn't "think" i heard anything! my ears work fine. Gene is not being dragged through the mud by me. if i saw him tomorrow, i would shake his hand and that would be that! this thread has been going on long enough for somebody to speak up about it. i have tried to think of one scenario that could possibly make this excusable. I'm still coming up empty! now go look up the words "ethics" and "class".

15. If this sort of thing bothers you, you're in this 'hobby' for the one-upmanship, not because you enjoy old cars. Any time you have a competition that involves judging 'intangibles' and corporate money, 'politics' and personalities will rear their head. Yes, it can be disappointing, but any hero will display feet of clay if they live long enough. It's not like there was bread being stolen out of anybody's mouth, and if the money was donated to charity that may have been a big factor.

Not my contest, not my money, and not my business....

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

Gene is keeping the money so he can fix those doors.

That would make it allright by me...;)

17. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Now that is humorous!!:D

18. LaSalle Gearbox

LaSalle Gearbox
    from ohio

I don't have a dog in this hunt but does anybody think they might have been able to hold up the hood with something other than a silver painted broomstick?

19. F&J

F&J

I was thinking that the doors are a spin off of the mid 50s Mercedes 300SL gullwing coupe, and some rodders in the 50s were styling their cars like European sports cars. Those door jambs do look like Mercedes in style, to me.

20. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Maybe if they cut the hood in half like they did the doors, it would stay open on its own.

21. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

can somebody post some pics of the other 5 cars? that merc already got enough attention this week.

22. Buzznut

Buzznut

From what others have said and the OP's accounting of what happened it sounds to me like being picked as "the winner" could be a badge of SHAME, especially if politics dictated the outcome. I've always respected and appreciated Winfield for his talent and integrity...I hate seeing posts like this that result in questioning the integrity a legend like Gene. That said, I don't think I've EVER been in a car show where politics didn't come into play.

23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

So quit going to shows. Problem solved.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm not charging him as guilty, I really, sincerely hope there is another side to tell. He is a member on here, its not like he doesnt have an opportunity to speak.
    I am going to sign off on this mess for now, if Gene shows up and posts a plausible story as to what went down, I will be the first to breathe a big sigh of relief, and say "wow, great, that clears that up." Moving on...

I will say this, I see nothing wrong in and of itself with the Merc winning. Its not my cup of tea, but the mods, however tasteless I might think they are, are beautifully executed, and the car is really nicely finished. As far as I'm concerned, thats not the issue. The issue is whether or not there was collusion between Gene and the car owner. If the deal was fixed, thats just not kosher. Ok, I'm done. I really do hope to hear another side to this story that clears it up.

25. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

In his position, as an icon of this hobby of ours, he should AVOID even the appearance of an impropriety!

26. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Our local racetracks sometime advertise really big purses, (Like $50,000), and the story goes that it isn't always paid out as advertised due to un published caveats in the rules. I'd be surprised if the ten grand actually got paid out...hope you guys got your grand though.

27. I am getting increasingly disenchanted with some of the folks on THIS site that cant seem to grasp that concept and cloud the issue with flotsam.

28. S.F.

S.F.

This entire thread is stupid. Wow. F all this crapp....I am totally at fault and guilty of reading half this thread, and half irritated that I was interested enough to even see what it was all about. I need to really look at this board and decide if I want on it anymore...what a waste of life that I'll never get back. Sorry, but thats my opinion. What happened to this place. it used to be rad.

29. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Goddammit!!! Ya made me Google "flotsam"!!!!!!!!

30. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.