Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for ford people

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidoman, Jul 23, 2013.

1. davidoman

davidoman
    from texas

I have a 1956 tbird and need to replace the tea pot carburetor. What brand ,make and c f m should I run on this car. Car has existing 312 and auto behind it. Some information would like to make a daily drive out of it. Thank s David

2. id run a 500 cfm edelbrock on it

3. One issue with changing those is you have to change more than the carb.... because these used a oddball base/air cleaner flange, you'll need to swap out the cleaner and manifold too. You might be able to find a manifold adaptor....

These aren't that tough to rebuild and get running right, the main problem seems to be the 'plug' above the secondaries won't stay tight and leaks. Apply Loctite liberally to that and you should be fine.

Determined to do a swap? Then look for a '57-62 Holley-base manifold, and a 450 CFM Holley (or even a 390 CFM) will be plenty big enough for a stock y-block.

4. David,,from the list of cars you list on your profile page,and if the "T Bird" is a stocker,you can play with the other cars for changing things up on..like manifolds
    PLEASE keep the Bird STOCK.. ..you will appreciate it later.so will your pocketbook.
    give a call to Amos Minters T Birds in Dallas for expert advice

5. mechanic58

mechanic58

6. If you do change out the teapot carb for something else, remember that in 1956 the Yblocks had the Loadomatic distributor that works in conjunction with the carb. You would also have to get a 1957 and later model distributor for it to work right.

7. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Too many big words for Ford people.

(Just kidding )

8. Yeah, I missed that. This isn't a 'simple' carb swap, you need to make some wholesale changes.....

9. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Small patern rochester from a mid fifties Olds or Buick used to be a fix for the Tea Pot problem but keep that old carb around. The suggestion to update the distributor is a good one though.

10. carbking

carbking

I always had better luck with the Haystack Holleys than with the later end-bowl Holleys, but to each his own.

Ford also used a Carter WCFB on some models with the Loadomatic transmission.

The part number for the 1956 Mercury w/312 using the Carter WCFB was 2361s.

Jon.