Register now to get rid of these ads!

GoodGuys Columbus 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Jun 4, 2013.

1. well said... i love this show and so much to see.

2. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Ill tell you why people are not to happy with GG Columbus. It cost me $90 to go to Columbus cuz I had to join the group for one show. Then the giveaway car is a 1 in 10 show for all the giveaways. Meaning they give the car away to 10 finalists at the show. and most of the prize giveaways are a discount on a product. So you have to buy the giveaway. then If you are late to check your number then it could go to someone else. Maybe I'm just biased to NSRA. I have been going to both events for over 15 years. NSRA was giving away new S-10 pickup trucks at every mini national. And I have won prizes there and you had all weekend to claim your prize and it was reserved for you until Sun. at one PM. Then you go to Louisville for $30 for 4 days and have a chance to win the giveaway car if you have a car registered on the fairgrounds. Yes you have to join NSRA also. But almost all the vendors are at Louisville. I don't get this that Syracuse is the same price as Columbus. The right coast runs Syracuse now and it cost me a total of $40 to go and I didn't have to join anything. And I went to both Columbus and Syracuse this year and I believe NY was a much better show.
    I always felt and others share this opinion that GG was ripping us off.

Ago

3. patina33

patina33

Always love Columbus GG. Great time, perfect weather. I will be back next year. Have not been back to Louisville NSRA since they changed. Just not the same. If NSRA would have kept 'The Nationals" pre '48 as always, I am sure they would have blown all shows out of the water. Sorry, Just my take.

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If people go for the prizes, they're missing the point...

5. I feel that nsra caters more to the wealthy high dollar people the attitude at Louisville is very snobbish where goodguys is a more family and everymans group even though you do see a lot of the same cars at both Columbus and Louisville I get far more out of the gazette then I do street scene

my cruiseing running buddys are all nrsa members as am I im the only one that's a goodguys member they wont even go to Columbus or gg indy just to look

im thinking of not renewing my nsra membership I just re-uped with gg in Columbus

I guess it comes down to what a person likes and if we all liked the same thing ......blah

6. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

Well. i guess if you're going to car shows with the intent on winning cars or products then that would make sense. I've been going to Columbus for the past 7 years and have never won a thing. I don't go for that reason though, I go to see more cars than i can see going anywhere else within 300 miles of my house. It's also a great weekend in that i see cars i simply cannot see anywhere else. I belong to the NSRA too, and go to the NSRA East Nats every year... That's a great show as well, I never really tallied up the costs, but maybe i spend 40.00 more to go to Columbus, I really don't even know, I just know I couldn't have any more fun anywhere else and 40 bucks one way or another ain't gonna break me to have a great car related weekend. I DO know the car quality at Columbus FAR exceeds that of York. Not into ripping on anyone's car, but there are always plenty of outdated 80's rods at NSRA shows, whereas Columbus always has a ton of fresh cars, in both traditional and trending styles.

I guess if not giving you stuff is "GG ripping you off" then you should just stick to the 50 car local cruises and not get ripped off by having to suffer through 3 days of 6000+ cars to look at and not win any products or new cars.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I don't go to events to win prizes and I never enter my car to win trophies. The Bias comes from more interest in pre 48 cars. Now that that NSRA threw that out the window I don't care for there events too much either. It comes down to ones own views. I think you can have a good time at all events. There is a good time at Columbus, But I guess I'm looking for something different now. I will try the Frog follies. The whole is changing with the newer cars. But the old school is dying off and new blood is needed to keep things going.

Ago

8. jmh

jmh

If ya dont like it... DONT GO!! Simple!! John :)

9. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

Agreed... I like seeing all cars though, with the exception of maybe the honda ricer type stuff... so NSRA extending their cutoff really doesn't bother me. All the pre 48 stuff is still there, and I enjoy seeing 50's and 60's cars as much as the older stuff. I actually think NSRA York is better now as a result of letting some newer stuff in, as it's not overrun with them, and the "newer" cars that come are still generally cool classics... of course with a few exceptions. In the grand scheme of things, we're all car guys together... and I'd say a lot of the folks who have the newer cars have them not because they like them better than the pre-48 hot rods, but because that's what they can afford to get themselves into the hobby... The days of buying a 500.00 model A and fixing it up for under 5 grand are over, so guys on a budget build what they can afford to... I think they have as much right to be a part of the hobby as anyone, and sometimes those guys end up being the coolest folks I meet at an event.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013