Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Chevy Sedan Delivery - progress is being made

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by radconjon, Sep 21, 2012.

1. radconjon

radconjon

I fought the brakes for way too long so I took the body off, ripped out the frame mounted Master cylinder and booster, rerouted the brake lines. Replaced the body and mounted brake booster and MC on the firewall. Along the way I took down most of the wiring and fixed several other little things that had been annoying me. I would like to get it back running in a month or so and hopefully we can be hitting some shows in the spring.

Attached Files:

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

cool project, have come to really like the panels.

3. Model T1

Model T1

Welcome. I can't get away from you Illinois hotrodders ! I also love the sedan deliveries and panels. Nice lookin project. Good luck on yours.:)

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

bet you never seen one of these:

Attached Files:

5. Model T1

Model T1

I looked for a 55 Chevy sedan delivery for years. I'll swear within a month after I bought the 55 wagon I found a 55 Chevy sedan delivery with 350 already in it. Rootbeer color.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Time for a 1 piece windshield; it makes all the difference in the world. Is it Mustang II front suspension; I see the engine is mountwed more forward than they usually are? You did'nt even trim the firewall support braces. We have a 51 Business Coupe (actually my nephews since I gave it to him), so I notice little things done a bit different. Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. radconjon

radconjon

I like the mat. How can I get one? Definitely want the one piece windshield. The previous owner had the 350 in there and I chose not to move it. Fan is crowded but I put in a pusher electric and I think that will work.
    Thanks for all of your replies. Now I have to get on and look for your projects!

Jon

8. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

A '55 sold at auction today up north a bit. Hard to find.

9. radconjon

radconjon

Here is the new MC location, a buddy combing out the wiring to the engine and the little brown dog patiently waiting for a ride. He wants on anything with a engine.

Attached Files:

10. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

Have you sat the front sheet metal back on it since you mounted the radiator? I have yet to see it all fit back together right unless you remove the firewall braces and mount the v-8 back closer to the firewall.

11. radconjon

radconjon

Yeah, I had it all together once. It is a bit crowded but I think I am all right. The previous owner mounted the engine and when he finished it he used it to deliver printing. When I got it it was together but he had wet sanded it and was getting ready to repaint. I was not pleased with some of the mechanicals so I took it to the frame and started over.

12. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

Having fun with the clutch head screws everywhere?

I had a 1950 Sedan Delivery that never made it out of planning. I did make a few discoveries, though. The front doors are the same size as four door doors, all you have to do is grind a little on the corners to fit the SD radius.

Do you have the single tail light? Same lens as the 47-50 pick up trucks.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

not a mat, it is an original poster that was hung up in the dealership when the cars were new. they are very hard to find

14. radconjon

radconjon

Ahh, I see it now. I suspect that would be rather hard to lay hands on.

15. radconjon

radconjon

After several weeks off for hunting and fishing and the honey-do list I am back on the sedan delivery. I fabbed up a bracket for the brake pedal and started bleeding brakes.
    After one time through I have very good pedal - HOORAY!!!. Now on to many other things on the To Do List. I attached a fuzzy picture but you will get the idea.

Attached Files:

16. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

Looks like the dash puked up its wiring! Let me know when you have that straightened out and I'll stop by to help :)

I am finalizing my order list for suspension / brakes goodies - I help you if you help me?!

17. radconjon

radconjon

I will save all the welding for you!

18. radconjon

radconjon

It scares me when things go my way. Went to put the rear shocks on, I thought that would be a nice easy chore to start the day - wrong!
    Had interference with the exhaust - damn - thought I had that sorted. But loosen some clamps and twist the hump for the rear end to the inboard and all is well. Looks like I will have good clearance in that position. I will take a few tums and go back for more!

19. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

It's looking good! Hopefully you, Zach, and I will all be back on the road for next summer.

20. radconjon

radconjon

Got to spend some time working with my son(Zkilla396) hanging fenders but got side tracked because I had to move the wiring for the engine bay. Grrrr. Had a good time none the less. Hopefully will get back to ground zero today and move on to fenders.
    I decided to just get it on the road and then I am going to go back and pick up the detail work. To many unknowns at this point and I want to drive it.

21. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

Getting it on the road is one of the best ways to keep a project from stalling out. It may not be pretty yet but you'll be having fun with it. I drove mine in its natural patina'd state for three years before finally painting it. Had a blast the whole time.

22. radconjon

radconjon

Thanks, that is what I needed to hear.

23. radconjon

radconjon

EZ cool and 56sedandelivery:
    I got the front end back on and the previous owner who mounted the engine also moved the radiator forward about an inch or so. I am going to have to rework the hood latch but I think I can make it all work. If I had not been such a newbie I would have set the engine back when I had it apart. At this point I think I will leave it for now and maybe set it back when I paint.
    Jon

24. radconjon

radconjon

Here is a crappy picture with the fenders, hood and grill - Oh My!

Attached Files:

25. raidmagic

raidmagic

Very nice! I like the grill and trim

26. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

Grill looks good! Nice custom touch.

27. radconjon

radconjon

The car sucked all of the wiring back into the dash and I decided to play with the air cleaner - maybe it will grow on me.

Attached Files:

28. radconjon

radconjon

Having a glass company come out and put in the windshield and back glass. I got tired of fighting them and the better half decided I could stand a birthday present of watching someone else (who knows what they are doing) put them in. Seat belts are the only thing that is keeping it from being street legal.

29. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

nice progress. whose gauges are you using. with the dash curved, did you make a filler panel or just installed as is?

30. slosteve

slosteve

Good to see you making progress again. I just finished putting a new windshield in my '54 sed del; it took me 2 days! And I still have to do the door glass.

Steve