Register now to get rid of these ads!

DIY Spray On Chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nicamarvin, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hedward

Hedward
    from Venezuela

A question how post 2 or 3 photos only can put 1

2. This thread is more fun than watching paint dry.
    Just list how to DIY, and let us ask the quations
    when we screw it up.

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I bough the Alsa Chrome FX system when it was on sale earlier this year (about $150 I think) and just opened the box today. The instructions are very brief, is there a video or additional instructions for this system? Frankly I'm intimidated by the whole process..

4. Donny TY

Donny TY
    from Indonesia

Thanks Mr sudzhis, i like your real D.I.Y experience, ;)
    i like your pretty answer about my answer, this is help me a lot.;)
    i just start this chrome on spray about 2-3 month ago,:cool:
    firts time i buy DIY kit from my country, this f*ck expensive price kit.. it tried and i search this thread and i start to buy a chemical from chemical supplier, not DIY kit.
    I spend my time to make a mix chemical and try any way to make it perfect..
    as you says, i buy spray gun more than 5 pieces,,:D
    i buy a electric 1Hp compressor, i make a spray table, make a infuss drop chemical, make my own dual spray gun, :cool:
    try and try , spend my money and my consentrations to this chrome, i hope some days, i will success this jobs, and make it the new business in my country.. i never give up..
    special thanks to Mr. Sudzhis dan all author in this threads..

5. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Remember copper, aluminium is not good for silver chemicals! They will fight, and your nozzle will be dead very soon! U need steel nozzles.

6. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Chemicals is chemicals, they go wrong fast if u dont keep them in freezer! Check if your activator is working!

7. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Ok, let me ask different way! How many followers is still working with your system? OR they try it, understand that is is like, go to war with knife - u can fight, but u will newer win, and quit.

Yes Nicamarvin we will wait u back, if i am quited from this forum till u came back, write email to me! I am interested! Thanks

8. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I've done just that.. ;) on the entire thread.. well maybe the first 20 pages, but I've documented the DIY with parts and all

9. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

they have a video... but its not good enought..

this is their video
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GvyuwhJCyb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Basically I built my DIY system around theirs(Alsa Corps ChromeFX Pump) so its very similar..

this is their process

Degrease(rinse after that)
    Sensitizer(rinse after that)
    start silvering(rinse after that)
    Dry(allow 1 hour to dry after force dry with hot air)
    apply their chrome tinted clear coat... EASY as that..

10. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

this is correct Sudzhis, thats why I advise him to use Plastic nozzles, which are available, that is what I am going to do soon.. :D

11. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I believe 3 people tried to built or Built my system... alot of people feel intimidated by the fear of failure.... and I tried to make the DIY as easy to follow as possible.... your system its too complex for the average Joe trying to do some small interior pieces on their Hot Rods, or for guys wanting to do a few small items.... I think I am the only one here trying to extend the use of the DIY beyond its original use, which is for small to medium plastic pieces..... :eek:

12. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I bought the Alsa Chrome Fx System when it was $299, Why? because I was building a DIY to simulate theirs as much as possible..

after doing the Alsa vs AG DIY kit I have come to the conclusion that Alsa chemicals are less complex(two step silvering chemicals, and sensitizer comes with a powerful wetting agent) but AG when properly done will provide you with the same "Mirror" looks..... but thats for the chemicals, the Alsa corps coating packages is World Class, their Chrome tinted clear as good as it gets, not even my best efforts were able to match their special violet tint..

13. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

thats very helpful---thx

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Looking over my chemicals I have a Part A, a Part C, and a CFX Part C. There is no part B as in the instuctions. Is this correct?

[​IMG]

15. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

16. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

this is Correct. their instructions are outdated, thats when they had 3 stage system. now they only have 2..

in the past and with angel gilding you have to mix two chemicals(silver nitrate concentrate and activator) in one bottle and the Silver reducer in the other side of the bottle.... but this was way back then, now all you do is mix one chemical into per bottle, now the other chemical is the Sensitizer.. but be carefull because the last time they sent me two identical items and it didnt work, it took 2 months before I could test them properly...

one way to see if you got the correct chemicals is this put one drop of part a and part c into about 10 ml of Di water and see if they react.. if they dont... then contact them...

17. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

sudzhis, those pieces look great... cant wait to get back in the game...

18. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

ye ye Nicamarvin u know what is my target??? :D full car! I want to spray my second car in black chrome (audi a6 2,7 biturbo)

[​IMG]
    image shack

19. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

id like a complete vid of that process

20. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Ha ha, for now it is stupid kid dream :D Maybe i can do this, yeeah i can, BUT i cant guarantee adhesion, what is the main question! Like i said before- chrome look surface is nothing, without adhesion like usual paint! There i will need to put it lot of $, and i want to do this only once! :)

21. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Just do it Buddy....! you cant compare the Shock people will take at looking such a beast chromed...

do to the nature of Chrome Paint, they have the least of adhesion, while both process, the spray on chrome and chrome paint both require shiny surfaces, spray on chrome has chemicals glue it to the surface, but paint lacks this, but this has not stop them from making tons of Chrome painted cars, and when done properly they look good too.. they have a polished aluminum look that looks awesome too..

here take a look at this chrome painted BMW
    http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/11/08/bmw-m3-with-full-chrome-paint/

and here take a look how bad their adhesion can be....
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UJdzwBdthP0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I ordered some innate chrome and I will be testing it soon on front car bumbers on show class cars...​

22. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

ye ye Nicamarvin, i hope i will brake this problem soon! Remember i silvered car hood? This guy crash car and make perfect adhesion test! Silver good, only in damaged places ir cames off with primer! Did i show picture?

I first time saw this video! What can i say- this is MAD and funny! But i know problem- base for silver is not dry enough or base for silver is totally wrong! I want to skip this problem and i will test and test again till i 100% will know that adhesion is good!

AND info for all! If adhesion in second day is good, after week is good it doesnt mean that after one month its good! :) ye ye try it!

23. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

no you didnt show the pics.. would love to see them..:eek:

these pieces were on the Dirt Bike and they were in an accident(Offroad)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the Video I posted is for "Chrome Paint" from Alsa, its called Mirra Chrome, about $1,200 a gallon. its not silver. but much more expencive..

this is correct...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  24. metalshapes

metalshapes

Reported Off Topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.