Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake master cylinder help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chudm71, Jul 22, 2013.

1. chudm71

chudm71
    from Perryton

I mocked up the exhaust with the old master cylinder an it wasn't this close. I was wanting an opinion if you guys think it is too close. Any opinions welcomed. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374533158.303675.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374533177.864754.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. dtracy

dtracy

I'd put a little heat shield on that pipe just under the master cylinder.

Dave.

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

There you go a heat shield with dead air space.

4. BigAl1961

BigAl1961

You'll be fine

5. Master of None

Master of None

If your real nervous about the heat, get some header heat wrap. I think you should be ok with just the heat shield. Sometimes unfortunately you have to just try it and see.

6. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

Any chance of re-routing the exhaust? I think I would look at that first, and use a heat shield as the last resort. Just a thought.

7. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Because my situation is like you pictured I cut a heat shield out of a catalytic converter that's like a belly pan for the MC. One end has a couple of slotted tabs bent out 90 degrees to slide around the MC mounting bolts. If I want to remove or replace it all I have to do is loosen the two MC mounting bolt nuts and slide the heat shield up into place, then tighten the nuts. I bent the metal 90 degrees outward under the outlet ports to create about a 1-1/2" wide "shelf" to insulate the fittings and first 1" of brake line. I painted it rattle can "silver hammertone" to reflect heat and look neat.

If you need a picture, holler.

For what it's worth............my heat shield gets a lot hotter than the MC needs to be.

8. I bent my lines up and at an angle. Kept a little farther away from the pipe. Have not had an issue yet.

9. 5CHERO8

5CHERO8

Pretty close! I had a Merc with headers that close to the master cylinder, and had no problem as a daily driver. BUT, I raced a friend and at the end of the road - no brakes, due to boiled brake fluid. Just a word of caution.

10. chudm71

chudm71
    from Perryton

Thanks guys for the ideas

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!