Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welder for home builds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kool49, Jul 15, 2013.

1. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Nice to see some guys that actually know what they're talking about chime in for a change.
    Great info Bodi and Hooligan

2. molten metal fusion, the right heat and speed, no matter if it is a MIG, TIG or arc,
    Most home welders have problems because of home wiring...I run my power straight from my fuse panel, makes a huge difference in cycling and penetration. I use my 135 for 3/16" to 1/4" and my arc for 1/4" to 1/4" + , My TIG is used for manifold and linkage repairs.

weld on.........

3. Kool49

Kool49

Well i finaly pulled the trigger and bought the Millermatic 135 . Its 110 but my buddy had one in his garage so i had the chance of actually using it to see how it worked . If you take your time with it it does a hell of a job for a 110v unit. Just need to wait for it to get here and get my gas then im off and running ,

Thanks everyone

4. ironpile

ironpile

I recommend the 135 220 model,I`ve had good luck with mine for 15years now. Practice a lot and watch out for cold welds.Penetration is :good if you pay attention.:D

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I'm just wondering...I have seen when tig welding channeling the gas also to the back side of the weld during welding makes for great penetration/quality..Would getting gas to the back side of Mig weld help at all with penetration/quality??

6. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

That helps with stainless steel. Makes for a cleaner stronger weld on thin stuff. Never seen it done with a mig but then again I have never welded stainless with a mig before.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

ive always loved the older lincon sp170+ and sp175+ for 220 volt ive welded everything from quater panels and frame rails on cars for over 7 years on both those machines plus they are shared with 10 other body techs ,....and they where purchased over 10 years before i started at the body shop. imagine the hours on those machines and they still work flawless. . ive even used the lincoln sp135+ , but i wouldnt use the 135 for rails its a 110 volt machine. my other go to welder but last to use is the miller 185 . i always see the lincoln sp 170 &175 + on craggyslist for under 500 at times and some in great shape.