Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motor Gurus..Need help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iFlip, Jul 21, 2013.

1. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

To start off, the motor is a freshly rebuilt 292 y block. All I can get it to do is spit and sputter for a second or two. Made sure it wasn't 180 out. Just about everything is new, coil, voltage reg, starter solenoid, points, dist cap, etc. Its getting plenty of fuel. It seems to be getting spark intermittenly though.

I know it's not much to go off of, but I'm open to any suggestions at this point. Sound like it's just a bad ground? I'll take pictures of all the wiring just to make sure it's all right after my camera is charged. Thanks alot guys and gals.

2. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

I know it's not much to go off of, but no one?

3. noboD

noboD

You are right, it's not much to go on. Do we have to pull teeth? Who rebuilt it, any previous experiance? Cam timing right? How did you determine dist. timing? Big cam? Multiple carbs? etc? Give us something to go on, AND then be patient.

4. Jokester

Jokester

While you're at it, check compression. Maybe valves adjusted too tight?

my 2¢

5. terryble

terryble
    from canada

If cam is timed wrong most of the push rods are bent now and the cylinders will get fuel and back fire with gusto out the carb and occasionally into the exhaust. Really hope that is not what has happened but I have seen it many times and even from a reputable machine shop/rebuilder once. That timing mark idea for the Y block motors was not one of Ford's finer moments!

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, Flip...quit being so impatient and vague...lol...just kidding. You have been waiting for a response for 2 1/2 hours...lol. At least you said the spark seems to be intermittant, and that might be a place to start.

Anyway...did you replace the condensor? Could the hot wire to the distributor be grounding out...like at the body of the distributor? Have you viewed the points while cranking the engine...is there a good blue snappy spark there?

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you tried another coil?

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Compression check wouldn't be a bad idea just in case. But even pulling one valve cover and viewing the rocker arms to view the opening and closing of the valves in relation to the stroke of the pistons and/or putting your thumb over a sparkplug hole while cranking would give you a good idea there.

I always try to include the jury-rig methods just in case a guy is short on tools/equipment.

9. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

"It seems to be getting spark intermittenly though."

Did you study the spark with a timing light, or is that a hunch based on the way it runs?

10. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Kinda sounds like many things including. A bad ground, a bad condenser, the wire going from coil to distributer cracked and groung against the ditributer housing, bad gas..... and what you all mentioned...

I like to start simple and conservatively. Nothin lie tearin down and engine and finding a bad ground....

11. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

12. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

How did you timing the cam?
    In y-block timing marks should not face toward.

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where'd ya go? Looks like it's our turn to be patient. :rolleyes:

14. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Haha, life gets in the way sometimes.

The machine shop put the timing chain on, so I couldn't tell you how it was done. Used a timing light to find out the intermittence. The condenser is new as well. Replaced all of the wiring that was brittle/cracked.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Man this no quote thing is annoying on the app.

Motor has this cam http://m.summitracing.com/parts/isk-301333. Single Holley, not sure of the cfm but its the stock replacement from oreillys.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. sunbeam

sunbeam

Pull the right valve cover turn the engine over when the exhaust rocker closes and the intake just starts to open on number 1 look at the timing mark it should be very close to TDC if the chain was installed right.

17. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

If your machine shop is not used to Y-blocks. It is very possible they timed like a conventional engine, which it is not. It is timed by colored/marked links on the chain, not dot to dot timing gear marks.. Just sayin.. Seen it happen more than once...:eek:

18. When I set up my 272 it would not run very well, even though I went through the timing chain thing and condenser and bad grounds. It turned out that the outer ring on the harmonic balancer spun....timing was way retarded....
    Call the engine shop and ask them how they set up the timing chain......^^^^^
    if they say counted the links or paint mark to paint mark you should be looking else where....condenser sounds like a good start.

19. Ford ,,,,
    Firing order really different.
    Finding out reason difficult
    Fucking over real drivers
    First observe retarded directions

20. Jess69

Jess69

timing marks 12 pinscenter on drivers side 272 292 312probly bent pushrods possibly a few valves

21. Leviman

Leviman

If you look carefully, it's actually the same as a small block chevy. The cylinders are just numbered differently.

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gotta have 3 things. Gas. Spark. Correct internally.

You said it's getting plenty of gas. Hopefully not too much.

You said intermittent spark. Trace it back. Good at the points? Check timing issues.

Check the cam timing and compression.

Good luck.

23. Yea I've heard that before,
    Seems that the guys who say this forget about 302 vs 302HO and 351/400 along with all the other crazy things.
    So it's not the same always and it depends on what you are working on.

The "firing order really different" saying is something my dad taught me a long time ago to remind me that ford did some things differently and some weird stuff that makes no sense. Ford calls it a "better idea" for some reason. Like this cam timing issue. When the fords start acting crazy, remember " firing order really different and go look at the book. Remembering that is a hell of a lot easier than remembering all the individual goofy differences.