Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 223, 1bbl carb problem (I think)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59f100, Jul 27, 2009.

1. I run a 223 with a mechanical advance distributor worked over by GMC Bubba. Use his distributor and points, the coil he recommends, and his condensors. Follow precisely the instructions he gives you to time the motor. My guess is that it will run like a top.

The problem he soved for my motor? Bad electrical components that were mismatched.

Let us know if you figure this out. Mine ran terribly before. Now, no problems.

2. Beat2Hell

Beat2Hell
    from So. Cal

I'm having similar problems with the 1bbl on my slant 6 in my little d100. I know it's a different motor but I think the same principles apply. I get that bog when I take off but it still runs down the freeway. I know for a fact the carb NEEDS to be rebuilt and the valves are way outta whack so that's some of it, but it always ended up being ignition on my other cars that caused it. I put in a brand new points distibutor that would smoke the tires on my brother's valiant, still bogs, I'm gonna try the coil after the carb rebuild, i'll let you know what happens if that fixes it.

3. Rob68

Rob68

59f100, did you ever get it sorted out. I too have the same issues. Let us know.
    Rob68

4. erniedykes

erniedykes

I had the same problem with my 1958 Ford. I rebuilt the carburetor but when I would step on the gas it would hesitate and try to shut off. I removed the Pump Discharge nozzle screw and the Pump Discharge nozzle and cleaned them out with Carburetor Cleaner and a tooth pick and my problem went away. I had quick response to my acceleration for over a year now.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

5. 59f100

59f100
    from USA

My apologies to the board...this truck it still a work in progress after all this time HOWEVER the engine runs strong now and the bog is gone. It's really a hoot to drive. The solution however, is a little fuzzy...

After fiddling with the timing, rebuilt carbs, valve settings, ignition, etc... I ran a compression test on the engine and determined (based on those results and several other things regarding the condition of the engine) that it needed a rebuild. So I had it rebuilt, bored, re-ground cam with a stronger profile, etc...

While I did not rebuild the engine to cure the bog, I secretly prayed that this would fix my problem ....So when I got it back into the truck, I then installed the tiny 1bbl Holley that I had rebuilt (more than once), I fired it up and was quite depressed to see that the horrible bog was still there. Found another carb (different than a 1904...not sure what model) and put it on there...the bog improved noticeably but was still quite evident.

Rechecked all the "basics" and then grabbed some "extremely flammable" brake kleen and put a few shots around the intake manifold and found a huge vacuum leak where the manifold was not seated (virtual beers for whoever mentioned it several posts ago). Fixed that vacuum leak, put my original carb back on, and the bog was history... :)

Just like that...it was over.......done

Some days I think I am really not that good at this. :rolleyes:

For those that dont know, on the 223, there are little steel alignment rings that are "half in" the block, and "half out" acting as an alignment tool for the exhaust (?) manifold. Apparently, before and after the rebuild, the manifolds were misaligned preventing them from fully seating against the block.

6. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

So did you leave those alignment rings in or ditch 'em? Did you replace them? If so, where'd you find new ones?

7. 59f100

59f100
    from USA

I left them in. The front ring got cobbled up slightly so I had to massage it slightly to get everything to seat properly.

8. staypoor53ford

staypoor53ford
    from wisconsin

when re installing the intake/exhaust you should loosen so they don't leak learned that and my engine had slipped timing and was doing the stuff you where talking about after my rebuild and fiddling with everything just my hard luck story not actually helpful to you now