Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winfield select six. WHAT A SCAM!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt55bc, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1959apache

1959apache

lol

slim pickins

2. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I guess I'm too old to let this shit bother me anymore.

3. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

LOL, Jeff that's to funny :D Although I have been pretty lucky with them asking me if they can pose with the car and get pics. But then I call up the wife and let her know what's going on so I won't get in trouble when I get back home. :eek:

4. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

yeah i did have to send in some pics and a little bio. but the main reason i sent an application was so i could be inside the building. the blazing heat in Syracuse sucks! trophy's, jackets. thats not why i did it. 10 grand would have been nice too. and after looking at all the other cars involved I said to myself, i might actually win this but probably wont. my first pick would have been the hudson for sure. as for the Gene/merc guy, it was just so blatant. I have always looked up to Winfield for as long as i can remember. and still respect all that he has done. but something as obvious as this puts a lot of tarnish on his credibility for me. my life goes on!

5. slammed

slammed

More jabs by the muscle car guy.

6. Thelost40

Thelost40

If the winner is a friend or associate of the judge, I think that makes it appear "pre-arranged" whether it is or not. The Merc wasn't my first choice to win.

7. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

All our Open Wheel events are done like this.Everyone is considered equal and we are just there to be participants.We have no judging .Buffalo Motorama Open Wheel Show section has a randomly drawn auto art item for each entry.Open Wheel picnic has roughly 20 donated handmade auto art items that are randomly drawn.No funny business no attitudes no sour grapes and problems.
    We are all there to enjoy the day and hobby and did away with the politics a long time ago.Thats why we do it,and it works perfectly.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Typical of the 'final pick', as far as I've always observed. Hang the trophies!

I did consider building to attract the chicks...but nowadays, to make the cover of the 'cultural' mags you need a RXT Rod! (But, after seing all the scribbling & tat graffitti all over the 'chicks', I decided the prize was commensurant with the judgie!)

9. I don't have anything worth showing so my opinion don't count. HRP

10. Trophies, money, chicks, what have I been missing all this time? Damn, I've got to get with the program.
    Later,
    Dick

11. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

with 10K involved, a little more than just simple show politics! The best way is to just put the finalists' names in a hat and pick one. At least it would be somewhat fair with no chance of collusion.

12. Chopt55,
    This is what has to me scratching my head a little. Not to discount anything that you have said. If mcguire's (sp?) was putting up 10K you would think that they would have wanted some input as to where the cash was heading.

That is why I mentioned behind the scenes.

13. That made me smile. Too Funny!!!

14. Look - It's the Winfield pick - It is up to him, whatever floats his boat. No judging, no points, just what he likes. And these can be very special awards if you respect the person giving it out. I won the Bob McCoy Real Hot Rod award one year, Bob is Highly respected in the Rodding world and this meant more to me than all my trophies from the GNRS, in fact it is the Only on in my house.

BUT - if Gene really gave the award to a friend who he had traveled with and was staying with etc, well, my opinion would certainly drop quite a bit. Just seems incredibly unethical.

15. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

from all accounts, its Genes deal. i was told by a number of guys who run the show and some people from the inner circle of how it works. as far as maguiers goes, I don't know how the money thing really works.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2. I have never met the man, but from what I have read/heard, I always thought pretty highly of him. I'd really like to know if this is really what went down, or more accurately, I guess I'd like to hear something like some sort of credible explanation.:confused: Unfortunately, it looks like that will probably not be forthcoming...:(

17. I agree with this 100% ... hope the best until proven otherwise!

Bob McCoy .... one of the greats, San Diego boy makes good! Kudos hotroddon.

18. Heres a scenario for you......
    maybe the money was actually not given to anyone at all,just smoke and mirrors and the good old buddys in California system/business as usual type deal....
    What I think we should be concerned with more than money here is the fact that =MOST=customs are so fucking horrendous as a general rule that they had ought to be kept behind closed doors instead of campaigned all over for awards.....

19. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

We have been going to that show for ten years!
    In the beginning the cars they picked for the dozen, to win awards all deserved
    to be there. The last few years a different story!
    Yes, some nice cars! But when a stock VW with a surfboard on top wins the top dozen? (a few years ago)
    What's that all about? There were many nice customs and hotrods to pick from!!
    This year I walked around the top 100 and saw 15 or 20 nice cars, deserving top awards.
    There were a few stock pintos, and other pieces of crap that shouldn't have even been in there! I heard, that they couldn't get anyone to look at cars to pick the 100??
    Again, there was 6000 or more cars there,and That is all they could come up with for with for top 100?
    I felt that this year the show has gone down hill somemore.
    I'm not sure if I will attend next year?
    The best part of the show was where the HAMB guys were!!!
    Always something different to see!
    I didn't stay Sunday to see who won the Designer's dozen awards.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This had crossed my mind as well. The "award" has to go to someone who is "in on" the deal. Still pretty unsavoury...

21. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

NOPE! I sat with last years winners at the banquet. they didn't know Gene at all and got paid. but last year the pay out was only 5 grand. hey wait a minute. now that seems fishy too!

22. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

we busted a guy raffling off gopeds,at a big bike show ,,same guy won for 3 years straight,,,,the owners next door neighbor,,,theyd sell tickets all weekend,,,,then post the winner at the end of the weekend without even a public drawing

23. And people wonder why I no longer care for car shows. I'd rather take the entry fee money, put it in the gas tank and go for a cruise. Last I checked, cars are for driving.

24. cosmic12

cosmic12

I didn't even take a picture of the Gold Merc as I thought it was just ugly and I am a Kustom guy all the way. The Hudson was beautiful and the PU was a great looking truck loved the 54 chev or Vette grill on the rear. There must have been something fishy going on with that butt ugly Lincoln with the glass one sitting outside as a kit car.
    I also saw Winfield chowing down trying to sell Junk and I do stress the JUNK!
    It really is just BS that this happened at all, just spoils it all for me.

25. It can still be a misunderstanding. Without knowing both sides I can't believe how much some of you are bad mouthing a legend in this game. Maybe it was shady, maybe it wasn't but you don't know for sure.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. 4psi

4psi

Why didn't you talk to Mr. Winfield personally if you were so bothered with the outcome? It seem like you talked to everyone else there plus this post to the public?

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Still hoping to hear the other side. Several others are as well.

28. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anytime Judging is involved....It's whatever someone likes.
    Maybe Gene realy likes Mercs...?

Fro most of us to ever be selected by a guy like Gene is just a Dream!
    You're a Winner Man! Congratulations!

29. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Man, this sounds like a bad deal all around.... I, like many, many others have met Gene and he is easily one of the nicest, most genuine guys I've met. I truly believe that he lives for all this stupid hot rod schitt. That being said, I could TOTALLY see him picking the Merc. If, it was rigged or whatever, I can't make myself comprehend Winfield having anything to do with it.

I love attending a certain few car shows and it's for the sight seeing, running into buddies, getting ideas, conducting a little business and drinking some beer. Some of the people I work with get wrapped up in chasing the prize, and once you realize you are a contender, it's EASY to get caught up in it. Like tfeverfred said, IF, you're going to pursue a contest, right, wrong or indifferent, it should be on the up and up.

30. afaulk

afaulk

This is a perfect example of why I have never cared for "car shows". I prefer to drive past and say "wow, look at all the goings on in there " LOL. Cruise nights and swap meets for me. I never wanted to "fit in" with the gold chain crowd. It's the regular cars and regular folks that make the hobby worthwhile for me. On the rare occasions where I have encountered celebrities, they weren't nice people and I don't care at all what they think of me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.