Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welding Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by syndromeofadown, Jul 22, 2013.

1. syndromeofadown

syndromeofadown
    from Tacoma

Any info on good source to learn welding basics, i.e. type of welder for the occasion. Any books/video that is highly recommended would be awesome.

No time for lengthy school, or class just like to learn on me own time.

Thanks for any advise:eek:

2. Your here. Do some searches. Read. Practice on scrap not your car.

3. chafin

chafin

Hobart welders come with a basic how to weld booklet with there welders. You can also go to any of your local book stores and they will have How To Weld books. Also, check out Youtube it will at least get you some basics

4. Try typing welding on the HAMB.

(Curtis HS classof 89)

5. Excellent! So much here available through the search feature

6. autobody101.com has a ton of info for beginner welding also

7. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

What type of welding? AC stick, DC stick, OX/AC, Mig, Tig, ? Much to learn regardless. Many on here can help with whatever type, but you need to give more info including material type and gauge.

8. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is nothing like "Hands on" for learning any type welding.
    Take a course at your local Community college. You will never regret it.
    I have taught some, including fellow "helpers" in the pipe trades, my son, & grandsons.
    Welding since 1951(USN)---Don

9. aaggie

aaggie

Go to www.weldingtipsandtricks.com. Jody Collier has an archive of videos of welding tips and if you sign up for his E-mail they will send you the weekly tip video. It's free and well worth the time.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you're in a hurry, and you want to self learn, then I would suggest you start with looking at MIG tutorials, and plan on getting a MIG welder. Probably the easiest method of welding to learn from scratch.

11. oj

oj

get a good machine and have at it. The key is a good machine. You got to make a lot of mistakes and screw shit up before you'll understand the advice.

12. christurney=77

christurney=77
    from neosho

13. ems customer service

ems customer service

the lincoln electric company has some good books via the" james lincoln foundation"

14. lownslo50

lownslo50
    from Florida

Practice,practice,practice.

15. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

What are you planning on welding? If you plan to weld frames or suspension brackets you should take a class.
    I've seen guys go out and buy a MIG and lay down some good looking beads but they were cold lap and you could knock them apart with a ball peen hammer.
    There's really no substitute for good instruction and lots of practice. Night classes at a community college would be my suggestion.

16. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

follow the puddle , works for all types of welding...

17. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Figure out what your going to be welding.... Get a welder that will weld all of it... You Tube. As mentioned welding tips and tricks... There is a kid on there with the username ChuckE2009 that pretty much made videos from the start of his backyard welding carrier and will give you some insight. Practice makes perfect and even try to find a local buddy that can show you some hand on welding and fabrication.... Fabrication is more important than welding because if its not prepped or fitted right it will never weld the way you want it to. And the most important thing is don't be afraid to ask, as you already have. Good luck!

18. rustyangels

rustyangels

Use 1/4" scrap and bend the welds in a vise. Besides teaching yourself, who's gonna critique your welds? Some high schools offer night sessions

19. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

20. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

I took a home and farm welding course at the local vo-tech for a refresher. Evening adult education course. It entitled me to discounts at a local welding supply store and that's where I scored a nice plasma cutter and self darkening hood.

21. 123

from Seattle

22. no55mad

no55mad

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Good advice

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

And I've seen welds that wouldn't break apart, but had so much penetration that adjacent metal was the weak point. Need to learn what is right, and not have the welds too cold, or too hot. Either can be bad.

24. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

My reference.

[​IMG]

I prefer old text books. You know, the ones that don't need a power supply or an internet connection.

25. syndromeofadown

syndromeofadown
    from Tacoma

Thank you everyone for the advise!! Night classes, books, practicing and further research on this site should be beneficial.

Thanks!!

26. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

In your first post you seemed very impatient to learn....not good in a field like welding!
    I'm glad you took the advice to look into taking classes on how to do it right. Often videos, learning from friends, and such, you don't learn the theory and metallurgy components that you need to understand the welding process. Good luck!

27. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have been welding since 1965 and passed the test for my New York City, Class 1 welding license in 1980. If you are in the market for a machine I would suggest a Lincoln or Miller machine. Millermatic 180 or 211 have "Autoset" that will set your wire speed and amps for you. You can learn the basics but in the end it comes down to practice, practice and more practice. After you get comfortable with MIG you can progress to TIG. ARC (stick) is the hardest to learn but a MIG will suit you fine for car work. If you are going to NSRA Louisville you can play in the Miller Electric with their products.