Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1948 Pontiac Build (A little bit custom and a whole lot faster)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speters, Jul 20, 2011.

1. rustychevyman

rustychevyman

2. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Man, this thing is going to look sweet! Keep it up! Nice work on the frame too- had to do a fair amount of frame patching on my current project too...

3. cmarcus

cmarcus

Subscribed to this one! Congrats on the little one! She is beautiful! Keep on trucking - looks amazing so far!

4. mob53

mob53

Any updates lately? I need some motivation to get back to working on mine.

I'm sure Ella is first priority though and grinding away in the garage doesn't go over like it used to when the little one is sleeping.

I used to try and sneak out to do some work but it ain't easy to build a car quietly.

5. Jeff Ernsberger

Jeff Ernsberger
    from ohio

Hi, I'm working on 48 pontiac just like the one you have posted. Do you have any finished pictures ?

I'm starting on my suspension and like what you did with the front air bags.
    Can you give me any details ? How much drop can you get with just the air bags without using the dropped uprights ? how much travel do you have with the bags ? thanks for any info. Jeff:

6. speters

speters

Finally time for some updates.

Today I picked up some fittings and valves so I could test out the bags and see if everything worked as I calculated. Looks like everything is great! I still need to figure out what to do for wheels since stock 15s won't clear the disc brakes even with a spacer. The front wheels in the pictures don't fit I just put them on to test the bags.

[​IMG]
    Fully aired out still with about 1/2" of ground clearance

[​IMG]
    Aired out from the front

[​IMG]
    All the way up I have about 7" of ground clearance

[​IMG]
    All the way up in front

[​IMG]
    This should be ride height about in the middle with the front up slightly. Notice the driveshaft is back in. I checked for clearance issues and only had to grind a little bit of the x-member to have plenty of room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    my wife jumped in for a photo op

7. speters

speters

Jeff I am still working out all the kinks on the bags. The rear ones were easy but I keep modifying the front ones. I started with a 6" bag cup on top of the Slam Specialties 6 bag, but I have trimmed it down to about 3" now. This seams to give me the travel I need. The only problem with the small bag cup is that I have had to modify the spring pocket for more clearance. After cycling the bags last night I still need to shave some more material so the bags don't rub. I can not really give you drop numbers since I never measured ride height before I started.

Yes Firetown Road!

8. speters

speters

So I am having some troubles with the front wheels now that I put the Scarebird front disc kit on. The OEM GM 15" wheel won't fit even with some spacers. The curled in stamped part of the wheel center is hitting. I had my heart set on running full caps in the front but that is an issue as well. The spindle with the dust cap now sits very far out.

So hear is my choices as I see them:

1 - Try a 15" smoothie style wheel and hope that the lack of vent holes provides the needed space. I would probably buy one wheel from Coker to try this.

2 - Go to a 16" wheel such as these and run a bullet cap to give the spindle more room
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 - Try to find some other magical 15" wheel that might work and try to modify the spindle to allow clearance for the spindle

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

9. mob53

mob53

I had the same problem but got them to fit with spacers. They should work.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. speters

speters

How much of a spacer? I tried 5/8 and it wasn't enough

11. mob53

mob53

Really, a 5/8 spacer couldn't do it?! I used a 1/4" to get me there.

12. lowelife

lowelife

13. lowelife

lowelife

Here's a shot of mine I've been working on.

14. Damn it, now I have drool on my keyboard.

How many hours go into chopping a Streamliner?

15. lowelife

lowelife

I was smart enough to buy it already chopped. I don't have the time or patience for that one.

16. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I'm sure that some early Lyons hubcaps would clear the spindles.
    They're pretty deep.

And they also come in both 15 and 16 inches...

Can't wait to see this thing done

17. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

18. speters

speters

Love them but crazy hard to find and pricey!

19. speters

speters

Love it man!

20. Jeff Ernsberger

Jeff Ernsberger
    from ohio

Looking great ! at least that gives me a starting point. How are you fastening the air bag into the top pocket ? thanks Jeff

21. speters

speters

The bag is only bolted at the bottom. At the top the spacer rides in the same pocket that originally contained the spring. When I install the bags I just air them up while guiding them into that pocket.

22. Jeff Ernsberger

Jeff Ernsberger
    from ohio

I noticed on the new uprights there is a bolt in the middle that is not on the stock uprights what is the purpose of the bolt ?
    I'm going to buy the dropped uprights for my car also, so just wondering.
    thanks jeff

23. bigblock48

bigblock48
    from utah

I joined the forum because I found this build. I'm really liking what you're doing. Keep up the great work! Do you have any more updates?

24. Streamliner42

Streamliner42
    from Sweden

Nice thread! I was wondering if you want to sell the fenderskirts?
    [email protected]

25. speters

speters

That bolt is not used on the 48. Fatman puts them on for one of the other cars that the uprights fit,

Updates next

I sold the 47 skirts and bought a 48 set. The 48 set will now be for sale since I made my own skirts

26. speters

speters

The chassis has been put away in storage and another customer car took its spot in my home shop. I have managed to start some of the sheetmetal work. I took Wray Schelin's metal shaping class in Stafford Springs, CT and learned a ton while working on my own project. His class is cheap and Wray is a great guy. Check out his website http://www.proshaper.com/

Here is some of the work I did

Laying out the line for a custom set of skirts
    [​IMG]

Shaving the fuel door
    [​IMG]

Hammer, dolly and shrinking disc all over
    [​IMG]

Working out the welds
    [​IMG]

More hammer and dolly work on the front fender
    [​IMG]

After getting the shape right on the english wheel we tipped over the edge
    [​IMG]

Almost gone
    [​IMG]

Cut down a set of Merc headlight rings to french the headlights and remove the peak
    [​IMG]

From the side
    [​IMG]

I probably won't trim the bottom of the skirt until it is on the car and I can check the line
    [​IMG]

27. Wow, Nice Work!

I started following your thread about a year ago as your Pontiac is the same body style as my 47 Cadillac. I think we have some simular ideas in our build style too...

On your skirts, are you going to recess them to fit flush with the fenders or will they over lap when mounted. If they recess into the fender, could you show the new channel. Also, interested in seeing how they will mount to the inside of the fender.

My Caddy has the original skirts but they don't extend all the way to the bottom of the fenders so I either need to rebuild them or create something new as you did.

Excellent job, keep the updates coming.

28. speters

speters

Thanks -

I am making the skirts fit flush and extend to the bottom of the panel. Right now the flange on the skirt is just a 90. It does not make for a good connection between the fender and skirt. I think the plan will be to make a new flange for the fender that is also just a 90 to make life easy.

29. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

No...you have misunderstood........they wants you out of the way, and does whats needed to get you out of the garage.... :rolleyes:

Great build, Nice car, and well documented tread..KEEP ON!