Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sad news today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mickeyc, Jul 21, 2013.

1. mickeyc

mickeyc

I just heard an announcement by Mike Dunn while broadcasting the races from Denver.
    Paul Candies passed away last evening. This is sad news for the drag racing community and really very sad for our area as well. Paul Candies was a true gentleman racer of class and style. I did have the pleasure of knowing Mr. Candies casually for a few years at the early part of his racing career. His team mate Leonard Hughes was a terrific driver and they were formidable indeed. When I worked in the offshore oil fields in the Gulf of Mexico I always got a kick out of seeing the teams discarded racing slicks used as bumpers on the Candies service vessels that plied the rigs in the gulf. Guys that were not familiar with racing wondered
    where the hell such tires were used? R.I.P. Mr. Paul.

2. 296ardun

296ardun

Very sad news indeed...we California guys knew and respected him as a guy who coule come out and beat all comers, never met him personally but knew his reputation....(knew he was in the tugboat etc business but never hear the story of the tires!)

3. slammed

slammed

The name/team put TF Funny Cars into the general public mindset in the '70's. Very pretty cars as well.

4. This was posted earlier today,,sad. HRP

5. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Indeed sad news we seem to be losing a lot of the hero these days.

Rest in Peace Paul.

6. mickeyc

mickeyc

The early days saw Paul Candies teamed up with my neighbor and service station operator Q Ball Wales in a top fuel effort that was bound for big times. Unfortunately Q Ball lost his life in this dragster here in Louisiana.
    (I use the Q Ball nickname because I forgot his first name.) The first time I saw the Candies & Hughes team was an A/FX Plymouth called "Moon Shot" This was during the mid sixties. I am not sure if it was in tribute to
    Americas quest for the Moon or the cars propensity to pull the wheels during launches.

7. Chuck Carman

Chuck Carman

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon