Register now to get rid of these ads!

DIY Spray On Chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nicamarvin, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hedward

Hedward
    from Venezuela

Hi good day for all , write from Venezuela my english no is very good I am restore a vw bug and want paint the body different to any cars, find paint I see in youtube this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h4c9t_0YZjs I can do this with ange gilding products? I see some company with system ready to use but no want spend a lot of money in this and investigating in the web I found to nicamarvin who inform about of this thread ok I have read today all the thread for understand a litlle the process of this spray chrome, I understand this first the surface a chrome should this very fine prep very smoth and gloss the color of base nicamarvin say that is the same if use withe or black gloss my first question if have surface of metal can use powder coat silver how base? ( is very gloss and smoth paint and also resistant high temp ) when the people paint in plastic here in Venezuela DuPont sale a aditive for paint over plastic adhesion promoter this is how the spray that use nicamarvin kroma ilusion how glue for the plastic? And also a flex aditive for the paint and the clear,can use this for the plastic ?
    In a video in the thread 877 I see this paint gun wit a only a nozzle and 2 hoses, http://youtu.be/tAaKG5wjlvU can do this for the dual spray? I read that air compresor is bad for this but I can use giant manual pump how this http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ve/MLV-409082230-aspersor-de-espalda-_JM for no do this with dual chamber hand pump I need paint big parts how hood fender etc, my cars this now complete disassemble only this in primer ready for paint I want a finish red chrome or black chrome yet no decided this what color see less the details? Then if I understand fine the process is the next
    1. Prep the surface perfectly smooth and gloss in withe or black
    2. Degrease the surface with tap water or detilled
    3. Rinse with detilled water
    4 wetting agent
    5 rinse detilled water
    6 tin with air gun or air pump
    7 rinse with detilled water
    8 silver with dual air gun or dual pump
    9 rinse detilled water
    10 air gun only air or hayr drier
    11 clear coat with a little of blue drop for neutral the yellow ( if want chrome color)

The step 8 and 9 can repeat some times how the video where japanes people chrome a door ?

2. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Hi Hedward!

If u dont do this before, than just forget this idea! :) U talking about pro level, because only few guys on this planet can spray all car! And pro level is when u have experience for 1-5 years, very good chemicals, very good equipment. U will loose few years to do this! Angel gilding chemicals will not be the best idea! Trust me, im doing this EVERY day for a more than year and i know what is what! Nicamarvin will give u thats same answer!
    Paint car with silver paint, and cover it with red clear coat!

3. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

please stop discouraging people, if they are trully willing to do this, they will find a way.

unless you are willing to pay alot of money for chemicals, NOTHING beats AG for silvering chemicals, and I just dont believe your home made chemicals are as good as Spectra chrome or Alsa chrome... if anything you will be lucky enough to match Angel gilding chemicals

1 year does not make you a pro.

while is very difficult to pull this off, it can be done.

4. Hedward

Hedward
    from Venezuela

I never before paint in chrome, but if paint car complete I am 36 years old and my father have shop paint from always, I know that this is completely different but I want try for example with a fender or some medium part of the car after of do this in the spoons wait that all work fine I read all the thread and see that to sudzhis to have some problem with big pieces, I want test myself , I order from angel gilding the past friday, I need big tools for do this, I can build this super gun of alsa http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=p8SleY7Eans , this only two hydrojet and two pressure tank , I wait that arrive my order from angel I live in Venezuela and this should arrive in some weeks first test the spoon and after in some medium parts of the car

Attached Files:

5. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Did you ordered the Hand Sprayers? http://www.excelsuppliesonline.com/browse.cfm/dual-chamber-sprayer-for-stain-magic/4,2059.html

Building your own gun will only take you time and add more complexities to your project. and the fact that silvering guns are made to do just that and not be affected by the Silver nitrate...

6. Hedward

Hedward
    from Venezuela

No nicamarvin why I can build a pump spray how the of angel gilding and more cheap yet, the manual pump of the photo cost 20usd here in the country and have 2 compartment and have capacity for 20 liters ,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  7. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

First of all Nicamarwin, i newer said that i am PRO. When i spray full car, i will say that.

Understand me right, but u are living in past, your tehnique is oldschool! U are out of this businnes more than yerar, and for this time all tehnology is growed up many times!

your method is good for spoons, for some indoor parts, but thats all! Why?

1. U tell to all to use AG wetting agent! yes yes for spoons it works brilliant, but try to spray car hood, try to wet this hood with wetting agent! I know result, when u will wet one side, other will be soft.

2. AG sensitizer is good for glass, thats true, but not for outdoor parts or big parts. For now is much progressive chemicals, that make sensitizer much better with much better adhesion later. usual sncl and hcl will newer give u good results.

3. Want to see how u spray car body with hand doubble triger. If u are Hulk, or A.Agassi u can try! U will cant spray bigger parts with this method. For spoons or smaler pieces it is ok.

4. I dont say that AG chemicals is bad, but they are bad for bigger parts. I want to see how u spray car hood with them! For now in chemicals is stabilizators, that make chemicals work better. On hood u will get white clouds, owerburns easy!

5. For now compressed air is not so big problem. On market is lot of cheap air filters, that works good. Dobble triggers is for begginers and small pieces.

6. Polyurethane is not the answer, answer is some chemicals what u add to base for silver. They make something like glue, that glue silver to base.

7. How u imagine to spray full car with poor adhesion? If this car will stay in room than yes. outside this will be nightmare! All small stones, that beat car will take of all silver like sticcker from freezer.

8. How many peaples there for years start this busines? I cant count it. How many is still there? Maybe two or three. There is the answer for that, that i say that better dont start if u cant spent LOT of money and u have not at least one year free time.

Nicamarvin, i saw your all tests on spoons and on some little parts. Make something bigger AND show adhesion tests, than we talk abot this. For now it is just talking without evidences. I sprayed much more bigger parts- two hood, few petrol tannks, few bumpers, a lot of helmets. I show my adhesion tests, i show my silvering tests! Try to do that same with AG chemicals and then u can tell, that my chemicals is worse.

p.s. spectra chrome have only a good videos and thats all! My friend, who is really PRO in this bussines try they chemicals. Yes result is good, BUT adhesion is 0. And adhesion is the moust.

8. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

U only waste money with this! Buy doubble nozzle spray gun, two pressure tanks and u will get result, but with this sprayers u will only look funny, thats all!

9. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I'm gonna do just that, but with all plastic parts, no copper or brass, they react with Silver Nitrate

10. Hedward

Hedward
    from Venezuela

Nicamarvin that chemicals do you think that is good for this project?

I know that no can use dual pump hand with this project but I can build a super gun with 2 hydrojet how the gun of alsa (my little friend is how call alsa to this ) is easy for me build please see this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p8SleY7Eans

I know that is some expensive I can spent a couple of thousand in this project This is my sunday car with 400 hp in the tail subaru engine turbo 2.5 with thousand of dollars in electronic transmission etc http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5mJLUBvGu-s I no want buy a equipment of 8000 usd for use a times paint no is my business is a hobby,

The car is outdoor do you think that the clear coat no save the silver? I see in the post a dirt bike off road of nicamarvin.

11. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I live in the Past? wow..

and while I've been out of this for less than a year, I have taken longer in the past and still got back up, and guess what expect more results from me and my DIY system very very soon....

I have done way more than just spoons, I've done large parts too..

I did this large part with a hand held sprayer so I had to segment the piece in smaller parts, BUT.. with a larger pump I am sure I could do this and any hood in a large part... I always learn from my mistakes...

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Q3TSnuzQ2f0" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

12. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

the chemicals are good, you just need to learn how to properly use them,

and yes you can build a larger dual triger system just as I am about to do soon...

once you get the chemicals, just practise and practise.. on smaller parts, I did spoons because it helped me minimized wasting the silver... but still I wasted alot because there was NOBODY to assist me. now you can thank this thread because it will save you alot of time

13. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Do this, show this, show adhesion and how good mirror u get! For now it is just bla bla bla

14. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Your car is good! Nice! Ou no this "little toy" is hard to use i think! But i newer try, maybe u will! U newer spray car with AG chemicals! NEWER. For car u need not more than 20l ready to use chemicals! There u will get good activator, good PRE activator, good antioxy agent! Buy just chemicals, dont buy all system! Buy good base for silver! U will need +/- 3-4l base and 2l clear! If u have some questions, i have few russian friends who have good price for all!

15. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I'm just Bla Bla? I've done more than Bla, Bla I've shown people how to do this right, I gain nothing from this, but you sir are very rude now, on my own thread..telling people that this is so difficult to pull off just because they dont do the adhesion test?

how good mirror? I guess this is not good enough for you..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Kmd_LLVliMQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/o57Qckqtil0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8xHllDIvY7o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and I can do Safety Hats.. I will do a few of them ass soon as I get the chance..

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  16. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Nicamarin- adhesion is the most! Show tests i will shut up! And i a little learn from u, Russia and Malayzia is much more information! Sorry

17. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

while I have yet to test Adhesion as you have so extensible, to me Flexibility is the first thing on my priorities, since I am working with plastics and most of us will be using this on plastics, if the Chrome can flex and hold to the plastic piece then thats good for me..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6FJCpt1vESA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll do the test as soon as I have the chemicals(soon)

so Russia and Malsya know best and have more information? well what can I say: Ya ne govoryú po- rússki I wish I did.

18. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Ok Nicamarvin! This is stupid discussion! We each have own experience own technique! U will never use mine, I yours! Thats, that AG chemicals is cheap is true, but u pay for what u get! AG formula is easy like ABC, but for much better results it is not enough! Activator and wetting agent is out of this game long time ago!

Test with spoon is nothing! I can do this on every part i spray! Make tests with cutting and tape!

Yes, I know Russian much better than English, and there is lot of information!

Hope u will get all right!

19. Donny TY

Donny TY
    from Indonesia

thats right, stop this stupid discussions, real champions not buy any formula from other people. Real champion scientist made by self, find the formula by self. i like your attitude Mr Sudzhis...
    :D
    You are right mr Sudzhis, spray on small surface its very easy, but on bigger part, trouble is coming, need more experience to make it perfect.. i watch so many video spray on bigger surface need more chemical, so need big nozzle. need more gun to make it perfect.

6. Polyurethane is not the answer, answer is some chemicals what u add to base for silver. They make something like glue, that glue silver to base.
    So.. whats its the chemical ? for glue it, whenever the SnCl2 cannot be use?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  20. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Donny i am just say to all truth, yes it is sad, but truth is - only 1 of 100 men who start it, make some money from it! Why? This is fck difficult, complicated process, with lot of expensive tools, if u want to do this right! Check this forum, how much newbies was there? Many! How much left? Me, Cromarte and who else? (maybe is some reader and dont post nothing)

No u dont need big guns and big nozzles! will be enough for double nozzle spray gun 2x1.3 nozzles! Bigger guns is just for fun i think, u cant control them, like normal gun!

If u all do right, u will use 200-300ml ready to use chemicals on 1m2. If u will spray car, u will add pressure to pressure tanks and gun and u will use +/- 300-500ml/one minute it is 500ml on 1m2. U just need good chemicals, and some practice!

SnCl is basic chemical! U must to add also few chemicals! for best results to sensitizer u must to add Palladium (expensive chemical)! also some kind of alcohol and HCl!

About glue i think chemicals what u need to add to base for silver! Or the best way is buy good adhesion base- fantachrome is good!

21. cromarte

cromarte
    from argentina

share what sudzhis says, in small pieces is different .... we do this for almost two years trying every day, with manual sprays, compressor, guns etc etc. never buy the chemicals from AG .... I can not tell if they are good or bad .... but as sudzhis says, if you do not show shear bond tests and tape is not much ... different flexibility.

22. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

seems like you dont grasp the whole "DIY" thing do you?

but thats ok, my DIY kit is not for Pros like Sudzhis or cromarte, so far I have use it on production type set up due to my low budget and it has work so far, no complains from the people I have dont this to..

23. cromarte

cromarte
    from argentina

NICA. I think you're the one who does not understand .. I manufactured from the gun, filters, chemicals etc. ... if that is not DIY then what is? I had to make everything that dollar costs are very high, I assure you that making your own makes you spend a lot less than buying chemicals in AG, for example AG sold at 290 dollars has the 500 cc silver concentrate, I produce it for 50 bucks, you know? nadade no "diy" in buying prepared chemical

24. sudzhis

sudzhis
    from Latvia

Camooon Nicamarvin, u buy premixed chemicals, premixed clear for chrome, and u call it DIY. Than ours DIY is more! We premix chemicals in our workshops, we premix clear coats with pigments and tints! U buy your double triggers, we buy spray guns! Where is more DIY?

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

26. Rem

Rem

That's about the only traditional thing about this thread :)

27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

This thread has lasted longer than the shine on one single item 'chromed' using this technique.

28. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I did a DIY using off the shelf products, no need to be a scientist to reproduce what I´ve done, it does not take a lab rat to pull it off, thats the beauty of this DIY, while there is alot of merits to what you did, I take my hat off to you, but guest what? do you think anybody could pull this off?

this is the spirit of this DIY thread, any joe schmo could pull it off, I am sure people will say: "oh look at cromarte he a boss because he created a DIY all by himself, too bad I cant do that bummer.!!" "but hey since Marvin could pull it off with off the shelf products so do I"

thats the spirit of this thread, not to see who did it with more complex system, heck I know I am not the least smart compared to real scientist, I am sure some people could pull it off using nothing but a silver chait and cooking their own Nitric Acid on their basement for a quarter of what Joe Schmo could do it following my sound advise..

I have done many tutorials showing how to do this right, I have post many posts on what works and what dont using this DIY kit.. this may and will not work using your built systems(cromarte & Sudzhis)...

the following post is from the very first post on this thread
    this thread has been derailed enough with bickering, now this is my fault, but worry not as my AG Chemicals are on my way and more Chrome Paint, be ready for more "How To" guides, untill then I´m off

29. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

oh I have plenty of happy costumers... :cool:

30. Hedward

Hedward
    from Venezuela

Hi good afternoon for all today ag chemicals sent my tracking number
    This arrive first to Miami and from Miami come in currier door to door, I have order today here in my country 2 air pump of 5 liters all of plastic for test in medium parts of the engine of my car in the timing belt cover if all is fine, I test in the hood of the car with 2 hydrojet if fail continue test

I think that each a have your technics but if nicamarvin is the unique that test ag chemicals why say that is bad ?

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.