Register now to get rid of these ads!

rearend lowering ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtracer, Jul 18, 2013.

1. dirtracer

dirtracer

I have a good all stock 1946 Ford truck. I want it to sit level. How many and which leafs do I need to.remove to lower the rear 3 or 4 inches? Thanks!

2. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

You could cut shackles in half & make them 3 or 4 inches longer too

3. Take one out at a time (start with the longest one), The amount it drops will depend on how much weight is on the rear axle. If the springs are new I would not do it until they have settled for a few months. ( I have a '46 and a '47)

4. dirtracer

dirtracer

Thanks for the info so far

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Reverse the spring eyes , see how it looks. If more's needed, go with the above "leaf removal" suggestion.

4TTRUK

6. dirtracer

dirtracer

I don't understand, if I lengthen the shackle it raises it up more. I guess I am having a
    brain fart . Please explain this to me!

7. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

NO. if U lengthen the shackle it raises the rearend up more/lowers the spring.

8. because the shackle is a tension type, not a compression type, lengthening it will drop the truck.

If the spring is below the hanger a shorter shackle will lower the truck.
    If the spring is above the hanger a shorter shackle will lift the truck.

9. JMKnight

JMKnight

I agree with reversing the spring eyes. The first thing I do with an old spring is take the long (eyed) leaf to my local spring shop and get a new reversed one made. they bend a new one for $100. I usually use only half the remaining leafs. I sometimes have to make spacer leaves for the underside of the stack to make up for the missing leaves on the top. JMKnight, Nut'n Fitz Hotrods (big name, little shop)

10. dirtracer

dirtracer

The shackles are not two flat bars with holes. It has a short cast hanger with a pin. Sorry if I didn't explain it the first time.

11. dirtracer

dirtracer

12. Leviman

Leviman

Show some pics of the suspension and people will be able to help more probably.

13. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

x2 ^

14. If your axle is mounted BELOW your springs then you can relocate to the top of the springs ... this lowers it the thickness of the spring stack and axle tube .... about 5 inches .... works for f-100s ... not sure about your f-1.

15. dirtracer

dirtracer

I can't get the pix to load. It has the same type of spring hangers as a '48-'52 f-1. How about moving the hangers up on the frame?

16. dirtracer

dirtracer

17. JMKnight

JMKnight

The grouchy old hotrodder that I have for a mentor always tells me. "Stop trying to invent a new solution for an old hotrod problem" D.R., the old school solution is to reverse the eyes and remove leaves. JMKnight