Register now to get rid of these ads!

Safety neutral switch bypass 59

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Westco48, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Westco48

Westco48

Truck will only start at the switch if I play around with the shifter so I want to be able to bypass the neutral safety switch for now, so I can get this thing going, i took some pictures but I have five wires going into the shifter which ones do I need to rewire to bypass it ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374078236.557033.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374078250.067648.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374078261.667431.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374078271.950793.jpg

2. is that a Mustang shifter? looks 60's to me. if so , maybe someone on a mustang board would have an answer...or spend a few minutes with an ohmmeter

do you really want to bypass the neutral safety switch?

3. you are better off taking it apart and cleaning it up. you will only have to do it later anyway. those shifters get sloppy, but the bushings are cheap and easy to change.

4. n847

n847

Look at the wire colors and find the one that runs from the ign switch to the shifter, and match it up to the one that runs from the shifter to the solenoid and jump around it. If that makes any sense.

5. That makes sense and you could use a continuity tester to find the wires that run to those points .
    What's stupid as fuck and makes no sense is bypassing the NSS. It almost always ends badly.

6. flatoz

flatoz

The amount of time you spend bypassing the Safety switch could be half of the tota; time you spend fixing it ( which you said you will do anyway) I don't know you, but I still think your life is worth that extra time.

7. Westco48

Westco48

Thanks for the help with finding the wires I needed to get it starting at the key temporarily to move it around my property and out of the way for now...as for the other asshat......

8. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

when you clean everything up dont forget the dielectric greese. it is really worth the extra trouble...................

9. trollst

trollst

Asshats? You won't be calling anybody an asshat from your hospital bed if you get run over by your own truck, that is if you live through it.........fix it now or you never will.

10. It's funny that the guys who need to ask how to do the stupidest stuff or the dangerous stuff are the very guys who wind up hurting themselves.

Asshats

11. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Have you first checked the cable/linkage adjustment between the shifter and the trans? If it is out of adjustment a little bit-it may not engage the contacts for the safety switch. This is most common if you can start it by moving the shifter a little forward or rear ward.
    If you need to check the wiring, remamber one should be power to the park/neutral safety switch, one from the switch to starter solenoid.
    One wire power in for backup lamps, the other power to the lamps. The fifth wire is likely for the light in the shifter.

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

If you are really set in bypassing the NSS, then just jumper the bat terminal to the S terminal on the Furd starter relay! Just make damn sure you are in Park!

13. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

If it starts at the switch when you wiggle the shifter, why do you need to "temp" break it more to move it around. Just wiggle your shifter, start it and move it. Don't break it to make it easy to hurt yourself.

14. When you've actually SEEN someone have their ribcage crushed (and later die from the injuries) because they did EXACTLY what you're asking about; you'll learn there IS NO excuse for not fixing it. I did.

15. phat rat

phat rat

I got pinned between a 7000# truck and my garage wall from it starting when it wasn't supposed too. Had my pelvis broke in four places. Luckily they were all stable fractures and I didn't need surgery. But I was in the hospital 19 days and recovery was better than 3 months after that. I was lucky it was that short a time and that I have no residual pain or anything from it.

16. what is an asshat?
    it must be someone who thinks it is not a good idea to tell someone who can't "jump a starter" how to disable a safety devise.

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

All I can say is natural selection works.

18. n847

n847

Agreed! If this is something you need to do to test or in an emergency situation then so be...Just don't make a habit of it!

19. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

red with blue stripe, use a switch to bypass it so you have some control, too easy to jump it out under the hood

20. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

If you use a jumper switch, always have your foot on the brake pedal.

I NEVER, EVER, start a car with out checking to see if I have a firm brake pedal first.