Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing up, I remember...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 27, 2010.

1. Chuck R

Chuck R

We loved the drag strip, always spent a few minutes on the strip during each visit. I had forgotten about the pile of foam at the end.

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yea, summer of 1976, there was a good patriotic vibe going on.

Our anthem that summer was the Dead's "U.S.Blues" :

Red and white, blue suede shoes, I'm Uncle Sam, how do you do?
    Gimme five, I'm still alive, ain't no luck, I learned to duck.
    Check my pulse, it don't change. Stay seventy-two come shine or rain.
    Wave the flag, pop the bag, rock the boat, skin the goat.
    Wave that flag, wave it wide and high. :)

3. We traveled thru Ludowici going to my grandmothers. Speed trap capital of the south. Mom always worried about getting stopped there by the police for "speeding" or "running the red light". Seems like Lester Mattox got on their ass in the 70's for being so rough on tourists.

4. It was a honey hole for years as the local police controlled the red/green (no yellow) traffic light at the left turn of US 301 headed North, by sitting at the light control box with a hand held switch. Many a home bound Yankee snowbird got a welcome and his wallet lightened. Mattox had a billboard put up south of town warning motorists about the trap and it was promptly chain-sawed down. He had it replaced and the Ga Hwy Patrol stood guard 24/7 for a year or so.

Attached Files:

5. Mom is colorblind and our job was to tell her what color the traffic light was, because in south Georgia there were a lot of two bulb traffic lights and the red one wasn't always on top. Don't remember seeing that in north Georgia, Tennessee, or Virginia

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, don't remember that. Lester was a character, one of those fire-eating bigots who, astoundingly, was a decent governor. He was an enigma. Loved how he whistled all his "s"s.(Like the beaver in Lady and the Tramp).

Guess it's OK to remember stuff like that here on the HAMB. Seems completely OT (for the board), but we are remembering . . . S. Georgia speed traps . . . etc. :)

7. dclickster

dclickster

Shifting from neutral to 2nd & 3rd gear, without using the clutch. You had to get your rpm just right not to grind the gears. It worked on early Chevys & Fords well.

8. speedexx

speedexx
    from Georgia

You guys need to get off of slot cars. That isn't what car culture is. That certainly isn't what made the "U.S. car culture". Acting like models were the real thing, just shows you weren't actually into the real thing. Prove me wrong..

9. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're wrong.

There, I did it.

10. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

3wLarry, this may be the best thread ever. thanks for starting it!!

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe you need to get off of here. Think about it for just a second . . . this thread is about what we remember while growing up. :)

I was around 11 and 12 when I was into slot cars.

12. woodypecker

woodypecker

I came of age in the beginning of the 60's so I remember nothing.

13. Sorry, I couldn't afford "the real thing" when I was 8 to 12 years old, model cars and slots were the real thing while dreaming of the day you could drive your own car.

14. 0

I agree we couldn't afford the real thing so we would go to the Hobby Center and get the slot cars and that was the first taste of
    'hopping up" and customizing.

15. How about playing the Alphabet game when traveling.

16. wicarnut

wicarnut

Ice man putting block in ice box, milk on porch, ice cream man on bicycles ringing the bell, singing rag man, coal going in basement window,riding street car w/ Mom, going to Sun Praire every sunday for midget races, first jobs, cutting grass, shoveling snow, paper route, Howdy Doody, Cisco Kid, Lone Ranger, Sky King. All good memories. John

17. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Couple of guys mentioned the showroom windows papered up for the new models. I had forgotten all about that. Can you imagine doing that today? You could put a car a couple years old on the floor & I for one would be hard pressed to know the difference.
    Growing up in Detroit in the 50's the house we lived in had a "milk chute". It was a small door on the outside wall next to the back door that the milkman would leave your milk. You just had to open the door on the inside to get your milk. If we got locked out of the house you could slip your way thru the milk chute and get in. We must have been pretty slim back then. Don't think I could get my head in one now.

18. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

To be honest, and not bustin' hump here: a gallon of gas today still costs about three candy bars (today's prices for both examples) right?

19. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

When I was 4 or 5-ish in 1967, I'd laugh at the taillights of our 1960 Brookwood wagon because I thought they looked like boobies!!

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Littlest Hobo

Tom Terrific

The Munsters

The Adams Family

Davey and Goliath

The Friendly Giant

Romper Room

Jingles

Jerry Booth

Poopdeck Paul

Captain Jolly

Captain Kangaroo

The Lone Ranger

Roy Rodgers

Felix the Cat

Underdog

Don't Eat the Daisies

The Flintstones

The Jetsons

Superman

The Adventures of Hercules

Road Runner

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

My Mother the Car

Leave It To Beaver

The Ed Sullivan Show

The Jackie Gleason Show "From Miami Florida!!!" "How sweet it is!!!"

I could go on. I hate today's TV shows...so I don't watch 'em...lol. I put the TV away years ago, and mostly watch old stuff on the computer.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

21. Harms Way

Harms Way

Dang !..... You spent a lot of time in front of the tube when you were a kid !,.. You forgot

Death Valley Days (Brought to you by "20 mule team Borax")

Sky King

Milky the Clown (What's the magic word ?...... Twin Pines !)

Ozzie & Harriet

Art Linkletter

Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Rawhide

Donna Reed

Have Gun-Will Travel

The Real McCoys

Wagon train

Bachelor Father

Sea Hunt

Father Knows Best

The Patti Duke Show

Highway Patrol

Dragnet

Car 54, Where are you ?

Make room for Daddy

Rin Tin Tin

Cheyenne

Peter Gunn

Batt Masterson

Kukla, Fran and Ollie

Life of Reily

The Rebel

Sargent Preston of the Yukon

Clutch Cargo....... :D

22. 117harv

117harv

Flipper

Perry Masson

Lets make a deal

Lost in space

Sigmond and the sea monsters

Banana Splits

Hudson Brothers

Speed Racer

Land of the Lost

Run Joe run

Shazam

Chico and the man

Mutual of Omaha's (wild kingdom)

Wonderfull world of Disney

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For us tikes watching in the '60s, it was Disney's Wonderful World of Color. :)

24. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

I remember going once a month in Scouts to swim at the Y. After, we would go to McDonald's. Dad would give me a buck, I'd get a soda, burger, and fries and have some change left. When they first came out with the large fries, the price was the same. We were disappointed the next month when the price had gone up.

25. Wonder Bread was good for you... Crisco with sugar made a tasty treat and everybody HATED Lima Beans!

26. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Wellllll, not exactly everybody. :rolleyes:

Wait a minute. Wait just a flippin' minute! :mad:
    Growing up??!!! :eek:
    What rodder worth the title grew up? :p

27. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

A friend raised in California and I raised in North Eastern Connecticut once got on the subject of 50s and later TV shows that no longer aired,We were both surprised to find that each of us named TV shows that the other had never heard of because they were local programming.Also some of the syndicated shows shown on both coasts had differrent local stars as the lead Characters like Bozo the Clown and Romper Room. These are 2 shows shown nationally but filmed at the local stations live. Rex Trailer would be one of my local shows he never heard of and then there was the kids show " The Ranger station" We had "Ranger Rick" and "Ranger Andy" during the shows run here ,He remembered the show but named different "Rangers" It was this show that got us figuring out the fact some shows ran nation wide but with local talent.

28. In 1954 I was 15 and worked in a gas station. There was a gas price war going on and we were selling regular for 18-cents per gallon. I was making 70-cents per hour so I had to work 15 minutes to buy a gallon of gas.

When I retired in 2001, gas was about $3.00 per gallon. At that time I had to work about 4-minutes to buy a gallon of gas.

It was actually more expensive for me in 1954!!

29. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

The little rascals
    The magic garden(what were they really talking about)
    Popeye
    Tom and Jerry
    Underdog
    Rocky and bowinkle
    Courageous cat and minute mouse
    The wacky races
    Dastardly and muttly
    Looney tunes all of them
    The rifleman
    Mod squad ( Julie was hot)
    Bandstand
    Any variety show.
    Addams family
    Get smart
    Chiller theater
    The twilight zone

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Harm's Way...Had to leave some for you and 117harv and others...lol. You guys did come up with some that I may not have thought of!

BrerHair...Yup, Wide World of Color. Edit: Duh...Wonderful World of Color. Wide World of Sports...lol.

What a trip back in time. This whole thread is a trip...lol. Man, and those old TV shows certainly became a permanent part of our psyche, didn't they? And they were good...with real talent and stories and messages that the whole family could enjoy...not some edgey, in-your-face, butt bouncin', over-the-top crap, or "reality" bs like today.

I even like the old network logo thingies. I took to playing the NBC peacock logo before my wife and I watch an old movie. Gives it a nostalgic feeling. Or maybe the "Sunday Night At the Movies" intro...lol.

And even the old commercials. Kellog's, (the best to you each morning) BrillCream, (a little dab'll do ya) and on and on.

I think I'll go watch some...

Timmy and Lassie

Johnny Quest

Bill Kennedy At the Movies (Detroit only)

Rita Bell Prize Movie (also Detroit only)

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Time Tunnel (that was a cool show)

Top Cat

Huckleberry Hound

Heckle and Jeckle

Fireball XL5...I can still remember the intro tune!

I had a real problem with Kimba the White Lion for some reason though...lol.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013