Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What's the scoop on tall shifters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scibjenkins, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D It does kinda look that way when you see an xray of a hip replacement implant ;)

Attached Files:

• thr2.jpg
      thr2.jpg
      File size:
      55.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Oldest long shifter I ever heard of was the story my Grandfather told me about when he was in High School. His friend had an Essex touring car that they used to pile into to go to school. For kicks one day, my Pops unthreaded the shifter knob and slid a 6' pipe over the shifter. He was standing up in the backseat shifting gears (on verbal command from the driver) with the pipe when they got pulled over by a cop who read them the riot act! Boys will be boys.

My Pops graduated in 1921, so that verifies "long shifters" as being around for nearly 100 years.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup! I do bench seats in all my cars and just soon as I started dating a woman she was trained to sit in the middle... As it should be! 'Course, after ten years of the incredible Miss Judy, buckets are starting to look like a good option these days...

4. timothale

timothale

How many of you have ever shifted a lasalle hooked up to a warmed up Ohv V8? The Lasalle shifter come out of the box on the R H side foreward on the case. It gives you more leg room in a roadster, less for the passenger. They had close ratio gears, just right for 4.11 gears. the synchro's were not as good as a packard, and the packard has a synchro on first gear and some packards had an overdrive.The lasalle starts out about 3/4 on an inch and taper down to about 1/4 at the knob. The distance you move the knob on a tall "salle" is about the same as the distance on a T 10 factory shifter, The height of the knob let you get your shoulder behind it for a fast shift. putting an extension on a stock shifter has you getting your knuckels in the windshield then on the seat back.

5. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

What can I say, there simply wasn't any where else to put the jack! And who wants a fake ass piston shifter knob.

Wonder what this sucker would have done to that red head's cheek?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I dunno the history of the tall shifter's beginnings, but I like em. I have tall shifters in all of my rods. 2 are automatics too. If you don't like tall shifters, not to worry; I'm not asking ya to drive mine. :)

7. oldfordnutt

oldfordnutt
    from Modesto,Ca

Awater Mike is right on in mid. 50s I ran my 32 5-win. with a Buick and 39 box the first to 2nd. was almost impossible had to show the guy next to me I was going off in 2nd gear, changed to a Chev. box with Hurst inline shifter and never missed a shift no matter fast I tried.

8. jd55f100

jd55f100
    from alabama

Here is mine in my 55 ford

Attached Files:

9. mikes51

mikes51

Ha ha, where is the "like" button.

Too much traffic nowadays, since I have an automatic, might as well make it tall for looks.

Now if you are talking 1966, and you are power shifting your 409 powered 61 chevy, that's a different story. You want that short Hurst shifter with horizontal gun grip handle. You miss a shift and there goes your motor.

10. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

It was a fad,.Roth didnt start it he followed it, I remember first seeing it way before he got on the bandwagon. first one I saw was a channeled T roadster that pulled into Rubys In Riverside, we all cracked up, it was an immediate hit. Everybody gathered around the roadster. I made one for my 31 A 2dr, it was kinda like the 'ape hanger' handle bars on the Harley choppers. A fad like the names painted on the rods n customs, my raked 50, Buick had 'Raunchy' [which was a song and kinda described my Buick] Basically it was the roadsterguy just had gotten his rod running with his Lasalle trans and wanted to cruise the drive in. Also we had an incident at Ruby,s similar to the 'cop car' scene in 'American Graffitti'. I saw a couple of guys pouring something in the driveway gutter. A little later I heard some squallin tires and this car haulin ass by, well the cops were just leaving out that way and they hit the gas and spunout amost across the street to the DeAnza theater. this was in the early 60,s

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  11. :cool:
    'Cause they look neat? That's why I got one, they mostly do to me.:cool: IMG_0002.JPG

12. I just like the way they fit the car.

Attached Files:

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I always had 'hot rods'. My '32 5 window got a 'cheap' '37 Lincoln Zephyr box, from my bud Don Knopp... (right hand side floor shifter...'wiggly' stick, real long...Cut it down and you looked like some pharisee chopping down a religious artifact!
    My roadster had a '37 LaSalle...cutting that 42" tapered cane would have been heresy...
    Oh, my '46 Tudor, '40 Ford Nail valve Coupe, AND my '61 Cad Coupe DeVille...all had '37 LaSalles, stock length sticks, black shift knob was visible in the shallow body of the Cad Coupe! ('Slim Jim' auto trans was out when I bought the car in '64, so I got it for $275. My pal Muff gave me a LaSalle, and I bought an adaptor and flywheel. Cheaper with the '56 Olds clutch pedal & linkage than an auto tranny rebuild!
    Car got LONG eyeballs downtown, I'd take off from a stoplight, the gear whine was noisy...then I'd purposely grind reverse, going into second, just a 'scrape'... guys alongside and on the sidewalk: "HEY, That Caddy's got a FLOOR in it..."
    NO cut down sticks, the REAL floorshifts deserved to be installed as was, long stick. They earned it.
    To use a 'swan-style' aftermarket 1/2" tubular stick in something with no clutch pedal (or side shift with linkage) reeks of someone that :
    1. has no tools;
    2. lacks connections, conviction, or determination to install a real tranny;
    3. has invested in too many Roth prints, thinks a tall tiller is tits...

The real COOL thing is a real Cad/LaSalle/ Buick Roadmaster/ Packard box in something it doesn't 'belong' in!
    My '63-1/2 Galaxie has a fresh 406 backed by a T150 3-speed Ford heavy toploader with a REAL Jeep tower, and a 30" cane stick. (visible above the low dash...Only a 3 speed, but kinda 'gospel', 'real floor shift') Gears are wider than my LaSalles...
    "Dude! How come you don't have a 4 speed???" ('If you don't know...')
    Tall stick isn't some 'statement'. Ha! Yes, it is... but 'deserved'. (know how heavy that cast iron box is? Whew! I deserve it...)
    There's an 'eliteness' here....or I don't know any better...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014