Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clutch pedal will not move even a half inch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mookiex4, Jul 20, 2013.

1. mookiex4

mookiex4
    from Reno, NV

I had a high school auto shop install a late 60's 283 V8 into my 65 GMC as a class project. They ran out of time and din quite finish. The immediate problem I am having is that when I push on the Clutch pedal it will not move at all. It appears everything from pedal through the bell crank and the yoke are moving in the correct direction that it should release.

I am thinking two things:

1) The Friction disc is in backwards, (What it correct? Raisd side facing tranny or flat side?).

2) The other would be that the adjustment to the linkage from the bell crank to the yoke arm has not been made. Currently it is all the way out to the edge of the treads. If it were any farther out the nuts would fall off on the ground.

They did have to make a couple of modifications, but it is such a simple movement that it shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps the Bell Crank was not the exact part.

I really need help and would prefer not to drop the tranny if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
    Mark:confused:

2. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The raised side of the disc faces the transmission.

3. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

raised/spring side faces trans

possibly wrong TO bearing, there are several different contact faces and lengths.

Wrong dimensions or pivot points on belcrank or TO arm.

4. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

it could be they installed the long style throwout bearing when it should have been the short one , do you know if it is a diaphragm style pressure plat or a three fingered borg and beck style

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, that's two problems you have in the same area so the prudent thing is to pull the cover off the bellhousing if it is on there and start looking at what you have clutch wise and throw out bearing wise.

Pull the cover if there is one on it and look up in the back side of the bell housing and see if the clutch has a diaphragm or three fingers. Then look at the throw out bearing and see how long it is.

Now, where is the pedal when it sits there? is it down close to the floor and only moving that inch and a half or is it at the top and only goes down an inch and a half or does it have an inch and a half of slack in it before you feel resistance?

What I would do is have someone push the pedal while I was under the truck watching what was happening and go from there.

6. mookiex4

mookiex4
    from Reno, NV

Dust Cover is off already and the pedal is all the way at the top, not half and not at the floor. It does not move at all. There is no slack, as a matter of fact the rod from the pedal to the bellcrank starts to bend and flex without moving the bellcrank, Yoke or anything.

7. upspirate

upspirate

Hope they got an "F" for that project.....sorry,couldn't help it!;)

8. jaxx

jaxx

just got thru working on mine yesterday - same thing- could not push the clutch pedal in at all - took it apart and found that the clutch kit throw out bearing I put in last year had both the ears that held it to the release arm were broke off and had everything in a mess - the bearing that came with the kit had a plastic covering over thin metal housing that held the ears and clips - replaced it with an all metal this time - live and learn sometimes the newest design is not better - jaxx

9. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

If it is the Clutch or throw bearing it is going to have to come out no matter what. It would have been nice if the students could have had time to figure
    out what the problem was for both their benefit and yours.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm trying to think of which way the clutch adjusts on that truck. Does the clutch rod push or pull on the fork? If it pushes back the nuts off until you have a half inch of slack on the pedal and see what happens. It may be that they adjusted it all the way to he end and you have no travel and it's an easy fix.

11. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Could it be they adjusted the rod so far that the clutch is disengaged without pushing the pedal?
    In other words maybe the pedal won't move because the fork is at the end of it's travel already.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is what I am thinking per my previous post but can't remember if that linkage is push or pull.

If they put in a new clutch it may be that they didn't get to the point where they adjusted the clutch and the old one was worn so bad that it was adjusted all the way out. I'm not that strong I'd have to back the adjustment off to get it together.

13. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

Sounds like you have the wrong fork, there is also two different lengths of pivot ball that the fork clips too.

14. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

I Ran across this many years ago,and the problem was in the Z bar,it was rewelde to fit the application per say but the wrong configuration the angles were so far off it could not create any leverage.

Not sure of what you have there ,but worth having a look at.

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

First thing I'd do is back the adjustment off until you get some freeplay in the pedal. Then try it again. If it still wont move, then disconnect the adjustment from the clutch fork and try moving the pedal through it's travel to ensure everything after the fork travels smoothly. If it's all OK, then it's time to pull the trans and check out the pressure plate, throwout bearing, and fork.

16. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Exactly. The OP said the rod was adjusted all the way out. That suggests they didn't know what they were doing and adjusted it so far they've taken up all the free play plus the entire movement of the fingers on the pressure plate.