Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dreaded Yblock oiling problem.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CShroom, Dec 31, 2009.

1. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Make sure you do an intro so you dont get harassed for not doing it. Dont run an outside oiler,there is no reason to. First you need to be getting good oil pressure in the first place, most of the oil pumps that I have put on y blocks get 60 psi. you can test a pump in a bucket of water with a drill but just because it pumps water doesnt mean it will work under pressure. If the rockers are not oiling you need to remove the rockers and remove the freeze plugs from the rocker shafts and remove the old sludge from the hollow shaft. Napa has the plugs and If you need the exact size I can go look in the shop later. Ive seen plenty of outside oil devices ran on farm y blocks but they are just band aids and most of the time when guys make changes to these blocks to provide better oiling they usually end up with to much oil up top. Ford engineers werent perfect but people and their back yard ideas are not usually any better.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you have the heads off lay the gasket on the block and notice if the oil passage lines up with the hole in the gasket. It probably doesn't. Now try the same with the head.

This is the jog or L shaped passage mentioned above. The cure is to take a small grinder or burr and "port match" the hole so it meets up with the passage in the gasket. Do this on the head and the block and there will be no restriction or sludge trap in the passage.

Then, it is up to you to use detergent oil and change it regularly and you will have no trouble.

Of course this is something you do when rebuilding the engine. In the meantime if oil is getting to the top end don't worry about it. Rocker arms and valves do not require much oil. Just keep driving it until you decide to rebuild or replace.

3. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

whats your oil pressure like? might need a new oil pump kit if its been used as much as you say. try a engine cleaning flush and a oil change as well.this should eliminate some of the gunk that has builtup over the years

4. This is a old tread but incase anyone else has these problems with rockers and no oil. Please pull your sump and have a look at the pickup, if your rockers are blocked due to neglect you but surprised at what the gauze pickup will look like!

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

new to y-block world

6. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Glad you want to keep it all ford , you sir are a kindred spirit.....Chevys seem to hate me too and I hold rodent motors in fords in very low esteem...I too love the y's ....I must agree with several post's.....I once added the external oiling kit and it worked well if your loosing pressure upon warmup a pluged pickup is possible ...plus a new pump now can still be used later after a rebuild....also in old dogs im'e tryin. To keep limping along"for now" I use straight 30 or 40 (sometime 50 ) weight oil,what ever it takes to keep the pressure up (thicker = more pressure)....if you want to swap in the 400 the front sump shouldn't be an issue ,I swaped a front sump 390 into a 61 pickup (similar chassis) and had no clearance issue...I think lmc or similar truck parte catalogs have mount kits.........stay true to ford blue brother,let us know how you make out!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!