Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tire dismount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LeoH, Jul 17, 2013.

1. RatPin

RatPin

Yep, tire shop charges $4 a pop. I'm a total DIY'er but that $4 is money well spent for effort/injury saved.

2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Pay your local tire shop 10 bucks, ten minutes and alot less hassle. Then again you might look alot like a monkey fucking a football and your friends may enjoy the watch. just say'in!!!!!!!!!!!!

The o/p is removing the tires (himself) in order to scrap the rims for gas money. Paying someone to remove the tires doesn't help his cause.

3. stimpy

stimpy

I have a 2x12x48" long thats cut on a scallop at the end about a 13" radius , I rip off the valvestem , place the board with the scallop next to the bead and drive the truck on it , break the bead , flip over do the otherside , then have a set of truck tire irons to walk it out . secret is to use a mixture of murphys oil soap and gasoline, slicker than frogsnot . mix it in a dish soap style bottle and squirt a little on the bead area to lube it up, and they slide right over if you kick the tire into the recess in the middle of the rim ( thats what its there for ) yused to do this for semis and wire rims on cars when I was younger , if you can get a axle and pound it in the ground with the hub sticking up it make s it easier as the rim don't walk around

4. Once you cut the carcass off with a saws-all, use a hammer and a sharp chisel to cut the bead wires. Just takes a couple whacks. Simplest way I've found....

I had about 80 tire/wheels laying around needed to get cleaned up.....bought an old Coats 10-10 tire machine (air) at an auction for $200. It paid for itself quickly and I'm still using it.

5. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

It costs us $3.50 to disopse of a used tire, and you get a bout $.16-$.20 a lb for scrap, will this pencil out?

6. dtracy

dtracy

I was thinking the same thing as rottenleonard on the tire disposal. Around here it's $5.00 a tire, and I certainly give you a big pat on the back for your civic endevor of desert cleanup, you're going to lose money. But thanks anyway for helping to clean up after those a##holes.

We used to use a big slide-hammer or an eight pound sledge with a cross-peen head to break truck tires. Was very fast.

Dave.

7. Drive Em

Drive Em

Here we go with Pictures:

I have a steel wheel collecting problem. I cannot leave a salvage yard without a couple of old steelies in the back of my truck. The problem is that they usually have some hockey puck hard old crusties mounted on them. I do have an old Coats 10/10 tire machine, but on the old rubber it just does not work that good. I figured that there had to be a better way to dis-mount the old tires other than paying $5 dollars a pop plus a $3 disposal fee.

My method involves a Sawzall, a couple of crow bars and some elbo grease. I basically use the Sawzall to cut the tire sidewall about an inch above the rim on both sides, then I use the crow bars to dis-mount the remaining tire beads.
    [​IMG]

Here are a couple of my newest wheels, a 15" x 7" chrome reverse with a 5 1/2" bolt pattern, and a '40-'48 Ford 16" x 4" wheel:
    [​IMG]

I use a coarse wood cutting blade, it goes through the old rubber pretty easily:
    [​IMG]

I start at the edge of the tread, and cut all all the way around the sidewall about 1" above the rim:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The tire will peel off the rim after both sides are cut:
    [​IMG]

The bead will now have to be broken on both sides of the wheel.
    I use a large chisel and a big hammer to break the bead on both sides:
    [​IMG]

The broken beads can now be pried of using a couple of crowbars:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can easily do a half dozen tires in an hour using this method. The remaining part of the tire can then be cut into quarters and tossed in the trash or recycled.
    [​IMG]

8. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

One other thing to remember, once you touch the tires, they are yours, and have to be disposed of properly. If you are hauling more than 10 tires at a time you need a hazardous waste hauling permit. You might get away with it, and you might not, and the fine is expensive.

9. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

As for the tire disposal costs, we are fortunate to have a couple of local tire stores who take them for $2. If you drop 'em off at the dump, just the tire alone, it's $8.

Since I strongly suspect a local 'used tire' store is the pusbag who's responsible for all the tires I'm collecting, my disposal cost for the tire is zero as there are so many, it gets a sheriff's work crew out to pick up the tires, shooter debris and folks' spring pruning chores that they decide 'decomposes' in the desert when they dump pickup loads when they feel like it. (off the top of my head there are over 8 of those deposits I have to look at within a 250 yard radius of my back yard without even trying to count and NO it does NOT decompose. In the desert, it dessicates, check out the difference).

That's what led me to consider trying to remove the tires from rims I see out there and be ready for all the future deposits I expect from the f*wad.

Thanks Drive 'Em, now I understand why some of the tires I see dumped look like the way they do. Not that that was your intent. :rolleyes:

10. dtracy

dtracy

After reading your last post regarding the discount store dumping tires it got me to thinking, all those tires have serial numbers on them. If the Sheriff's Office wants to help with this problem they might be able to trace a tire back to its owner then find out how it ended up in an illegal desert dump site. It would only take one tire to prove the case. Just saying.

Dave.

11. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

A log splitter will work just fine...

12. aandkt

aandkt
    from New York

While we are on the tire subject,
    How big a tire can I put on a 1940 Ford with 16 inch by 4 inch wide rim?
    I want to use tubeless tires

13. chubbie

chubbie

Yep wood splitter, fast easy and cheap

14. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

got mine at a swapmeet! great investment. this and a skill-saw!

15. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I had an idea to solve the problem of people dumping trash in the desert. Could you get a few motion activated lights and put them on the edge of your property pointed at the dump site? It might start spooking people off if it lights up like daytime when they try to make a midnight dump.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!