Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Out of line asking for a ride while at Bonneville?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CG, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Any time I get to take an interested kid for a ride I do it, who knows it may keep him out of trouble in later life, flip side is he will be broke like most of us.

2. Just got off the phone with TonyH and we are setting up at the new museum site for the BBQ. He has an area for us.

They are also, as I type this, grading 5 more acres there for camping!

3. I showed my wife all the positive responses on this thread. She is really happy for her nephews, she hopes they realize what a great opportunity they are having getting to do something like this.

4. mike bourg

mike bourg

I was in Wendover in may and went out to check what the end of the road was all about, I will be at speedweek shooting for hot rod hot line, and did not locate the site for the museum, where exactly is it going to be

Mike

5. As you take the first town exit (from the East) you will go over the interstate and the road curves back West parallel to the interstate. On your right is a big rock formation, you will see the road and curb stubbed in and a big graded area.

6. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I love to take youngsters for a spin in the Moon Rocket! Here is a pix of one wanting a ride just the other evening.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That would be a life changing event for a youth, all they can say is no.

8. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

Bring them over to our pit Flatcad Racing ,we will let them sit in the car and even help us out a little and we will make the honorary members of the team.

[​IMG]

9. I was hoping you guys have t shirts in youth sizes for sale out there ... I love your car and I think they will dig it too.

10. My truck door is wide open. ill give them a ride 702-249-1397

Attached Files:

11. motorhead748

motorhead748

if you see a satin black 34 pu with a flattie & green wheels ask away!

12. mike bourg

mike bourg

Thanks, I know just where you are talking about, Mike

13. daddio211

daddio211

14. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

I took my two girls to the salt flat two years ago. My youngest, she was 5 years old at the time, took over 400 pictures while she was there. Not only did she have a ton of fun, she is becoming a very good photographer with an eye for the details. The best photo she took was of a hubcap that had her reflection in it with a sea of salt and mountains behind her. My oldest ended up being her sisters lookout. They were a great team.
    Like everyone says, 99.99999% of the people at Bonneville went out of their way when my girls were asking questions. They started out shy and ended the three days as fearless fact getters.
    Have your nephews ask, and watch their eyes light up when the person they are talking to busts open a smile and starts to kid around with them.

One thing, since you have been there before and know the conditions, get those kids the biggest diameter hat you can find as well as some sunglasses. Kids skin is way more sensitive then our old hides.
    If they still have energy, clean them up, refill their stomachs and walk around at night, the nugget is always busy and not quite as hot.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. LOL, yeah ... Like I said a whole bunch of super cool people. Before I go Im going to have to take notes. Im horrible with names. I think it was last year that I called Malcolm, Malcolm and I knew damn well his name is Nick. Board names, real names ... its all so confusing lol.

16. firingorder1

firingorder1

I don't think I'd be allowed to take them for a ride in the sidecar but if you want to have them hop in for a couple of photos they'll be more than welcome. But be warned. Salt and sidecars can be addictive!

[​IMG]

17. BobsurUncle

BobsurUncle
    from Tracy, Ca.

Man, CG if you don't take these guys up your loony. I've been thinking of taking my 7 y/o son this year. I was thinking maybe it might break him of the "it's to old" theory.:eek:

18. softailgarage

softailgarage

You guys are really cool.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. daddio211

daddio211

To add on to what Greg said, don't forget LOTS of water (not soda pop) and remember to cover them in sunblock in all those places we didn't know about on our first visit... Under the chin, below the ears, under the arms and up the legs of their shorts. Explain to them that white reflects light, and as such it's like having the sun above AND beneath you at the same time.

'27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734383

20. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

See, this is why it is so cool to bring younger kids to the salt flats, not only do they get to see cool cars, meet awesome people, see incredible machines that go fast but they also get a chance to LEARN several things about science, learn how important math is to make cars go fast and how nature plays a huge role in trying to stop them using wind speed and direction, downforce or lack of, and the condition of the salt surface.

Just don't tell them they learned anything until you are on the way home!!

21. I love your side car ride! We talked about the rules last year with you and how some of the other riders try to get around side car widths and such. I found it fascinating. I think you were in the inspection area after breaking the record? Anyway I was impressed you took the time to chat with us even though there was a lot going on.

22. firingorder1

firingorder1

CG, I remember talking to you. If I seemed distant I apologize. Impound can be a bit crazy. IIRC it was after the fuel record run and we had already pulled the head for the measuring after the gas record. I had the engine sealed so it didn't have to be stripped again and life was a bit simpler. Thanks for stopping and having a chat. Stop by again this year.

23. daddio211

daddio211

Exactly! On my first trip to the salt I was standing back watching a family busily working on their entry. They had made a dozen passes at 198-199 and couldn't break 200. A kid about eight was walking around the front of the car running his fingers along it (a huge kid no-no in my book, family or not). As he rounded he front, made his way up the hood and over he windshield he stopped. His fingers went back o the hood and up the windshield again. He yelled excitedly "DAD COME HERE!"

The dad who was working on something by the trailer came over and the son took the dads hand rubbing it up the fender to the windshield. "See dad? The windshield needs to be waxed like the rest of the car." We'll, they Rain-X'ed the windshield and 30 minutes later the car ran 202.

Don't know if it actually made the difference but that eight year old was so damned excited! Good times.

'27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734383

24. That is a cool story!

25. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

That was a very cool story.

26. Bring a fire suit and I'll let them take a pass in the truck. Just kidding, can't really do that but they are welcome to sit in it in the pits. :D;)

27. Maybe they can ride in the back? :)

28. I have my firesuit packed. Serious

29. daddio211

daddio211

30. Trent's gonna get a crack at driving, he's put in his time.