Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you do... (advice)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lincolnlog, Jul 20, 2013.

1. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

So I took the radiator for my 60 continental to be tanked/re-cored and the shop I took it to advised that i just go with a new Aluminum radiator.

I left the original with them, agreed to go with a cross flow, and was told i'd get one that will bolt in place.

The radiator that they gave has some problems:

- The cooling area is a lot smaller (5 3/4" narrower) ~ 13% smaller
    - The overall width is too small to bolt up in place of the original, even with the angle they welded on.
    - The top inlet is much smaller than the original by 1/3 to 1/2" diameter

Had I not payed extra for this professional shop to do this, I could work around these issues.

I explained that his is going on a 430 with A/C... I'm afraid this much smaller radiator won't cool the car...

I'm leaning toward returning this. Am I wrong for thinking that this is not right?

[​IMG]

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It doesn't fit. Take it back and get one that fits, or get your old rad recored.

3. 48ford

48ford

Take it back ,It's not even close.

4. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I'd take it back. If you try it and it doesn't cool properly you could be stuck with it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013

5. ^^x2

6. 21stud

21stud
    from California

Take it back

7. Fenders

Fenders

WTF kind of radiator shop is that?

8. MP&C

MP&C

Take it back. Call Walker.

9. I would take it back.

10. mailerguy1

mailerguy1

The shop said you " Would get one that would bolt in". You did'nt. It is their's to remedy in my book.

11. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

The only reason it appears to have less cooling area is that the original is a vertical flow and the new one is a horizontal flow. They have to have some area to put the tanks. You make the difference up by the new cooling area being taller.

How much real difference is there between the overall side to side dim., judging from the pix it can’t be much?

Looks like the inlet is as large as the tank will allow?

I think I would install it and move on to my next project. I’m sure the cooling capability of the new one surpasses the original.
    Buy the way; what did you have to pay for the new one?

12. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

side to side is 5 & 3/4" difference in width.... They welded a 2" outlet on the other tank, seems to reason they could have gone bigger on the inlet..

I think I'll be taking this back on Monday. Thanks!

13. BigAl1961

BigAl1961

It just isn't right. Return it.

14. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I don't see any provisions for your trans cooler on the aluminum one. We're you planning on running a remote cooler?

15. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

You've been had.... Get rid of the aluminum and go brass.... That's the wrong radiator.... I would go and have your re-cored, adding cores if you need, but would not use that or other aluminum.....

16. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

"side to side is 5 & 3/4" difference in width...."

You are comparing cooling tubes, how much difference outside of angle to outside of angle?

You do realize you will never get a cross flow with tubes as wide as a top/bottom tank don't you?

How much taller are the new tubes than the old ones? :rolleyes:

You will never be happy with it so best you do return it. You know, I bet you can get a new one made exactly like your original,....for about $1,200.00!

17. Are we getting the whole story? This guy couldn't possibly stay in business if he made it a habit of NOT providing the products that were agreed upon.

... as far as the aluminum one goes, being cross-flow it is going to much more efficient than your old one but you still gotta deal with the trans cooler

18. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

I would find another rad shop
    and have it recored
    they probally recommended the alloy one
    because copper/ brass rads aren't cheep to recore

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

The shops here REFUSE to repair or recore. They will ONLY sell a new one

20. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

Yes, that's comparing cooling area... The new one has a narrower cooling area, and is the same height as the original.

outside angle to outside angle is 1" difference... since the old radiator mounting bolts are 1/2" inboard on each side, that means that the edge of the angle is right where the bolt centers are on the core support.

21. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

You got ripped. Take it back and demand a refund on the grounds it's too small. Cross flow or not it's way to small for a 430. If aluminum is OK with you get a "800 HP" 5 core Champion on eGag for cheap including shipping. The Champions look like the were built by gorillas who were learning how to tig weld, but they are tuff and HUGE.

22. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

Get the right one,there are too many places that would love to have your business,and treat you right !!

23. kscarguy

kscarguy

x22 get the original back and have it tanked and rebuilt. I hope they still have it and don't give you a hard time with returning the new one.

24. I believe we have enough for a quorum,,so the votes are in,,take it back. HRP

25. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

And please let us know the difference in price between having yours remanufactured and the new aluminum one.

I believe it's going to prove to be a case of you get what you pay for. I'm betting your going to find that remanufacturing your old one is going to be some what more expensive than the new aluminum one..

26. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Union meeting....LoL